reg paramedic training

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by jarv5116, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just quick queston has anyone on this site cmt wise actualy completed or know of anyone who has actualy done the paramedic training through the army as cmt yet?? if so were and how do you apply to get on the course and whats the proucdure?

2. I am not a CMT but I work with plenty of them. There has already been a course that has qualified as paramedics and as such sent to various units to start their career as paramedics. I also know that a course starts in Sept as I have friends on it but unfortunately you won't be able to be loaded on to the course.

Not sure what the requirements are but I am sure it will be CMT 1 and at least a LCPL but theres no harm asking up the chain of command. I also belive there are a number of interviews you need to undertake before they will consider you.

My advice start preparing your PDR and ask your course admin for any info, let your boss know that you wish to do the course and show them all relevant paperwork and see how it goes.

3. Just curious how the Army is running the Paramedic training.
    Most NHS Ambulance Services now are ditching the IHCD Paramedic course (which I think ends in a year or two) and transfering to the University degree route.

Are CMTs who have done the Paramedic course going to be HPC registered and how is continual professional development being organised?

4. I know of a Sgt in Aldershot who's done the Tech phase, I've also got 2 mates working for WYMAS as paramedics, they had to go and start from scratch. I asked the Scottish Ambulance Service about their training, told me, because of my previous training and experience, I would miss the PTS phase and go in as a trainee tech!
    6 years CMT 1, BARTS, 3 tours of Bosnia doing crash teams, 7 years offshore Medic, ALS, ACLS, PHEC.
    Good abuse of experience there, I think!

5. Having been under discussion for yeearss, the guys at MSU, Hereford have got this one sorted. Will mean you become a medic for UKSF but hey, a little trade off never hurt anyone??

6. Fogster said:
    "6 years CMT 1, BARTS, 3 tours of Bosnia doing crash teams, 7 years offshore Medic, ALS, ACLS, PHEC.
    Good abuse of experience there, I think!"

So you've done a lot of trauma.

How many paediatric resus's?
    How many life threatening asthma attacks?
    How many MI's diagnosed and thrombolysed?
    How many grieving relatives dealt with?
    How many psyche jobs?
    How much theatre time?

The list goes on. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that your qualifications give you automatic right to register as a paramedic. It takes three years of road time minimum. I joined the NHS ambulance service with a "I don't need to do this" attitude and had a very big shock. The civvy pre-hospital care world is very different from the military one.

That's not to denegrate your qualifications at all: just to point out that they don't necessarily mean much to your average NHS paramedic who has spent three years minimum gaining the patient contact hours across a whole range of patients and incident types. If you get in the job and qualify as a paramedic, then you will find that your obvious depth of experience will help you no end. Until you've qualified though, much as it pains me to say it, it means jack shit.

7. Dogfondler,

Herin lies the problem. Your average "NHS trust" does not own the Paramedic trade. It is qualification laid out by the HPC & the BPA in conjunction with the NHS and other agencies.

Just because a medic doesnt know the fastest route to Mandela flats and where all the burger cabins are doesnt mean he is not a competent Paramedic.

The courses and experience Fogster quoted account for much of the IHCD sylabus, that for the mean time is the standard. Despite the goal of education over training.

My Wife is an A&E Nurse both Adult and Paeds trained and has vast experience in all the avenues you mentioned, however to access a Paramedic Course with the NHS would have to start as a technician first.

8. Which is exactly my point.

The paramedic job is different to other healthcare providers, and I'm not trying to promote a pissing contest here. I've worked in both military and NHS environments, so i feel qualified to comment. Your comment about the burger van etc. hardly does anything to foster "cross border" relations.

The fact that a CMT1 Sgt had to start with a tech course, and the fact that an A & E nurse would have to start with a tech course proves my point.

In the same vein, a paramedic would have to start from scratch with either the military (and I don't mean for the green stuff) or as a nurse.

So, we all have similar courses under our belt, but classroom work does not a healthcare provider make. (even when it's university based.

9. The burger cart comment was just a bit of banter.

Are you carrying a few extra punds fondler? Maybe you need to get the GSD out for a few more miles! 8)

I just feel everyone compares Mil Paramedics with the NHS, where as the trade is so much more.

10. From both sides of the fence :D

11. And yes, I am carrying a few extra pounds. Not that I'm sensitive about it though.

No really.

Not sensitive at all.

Honestly.

12. Handbags at dawn I fancy.

Dogfondler has a point. When I was a CMT there was a certain amount of aloofness amongst the CMT1's once you get to the dizzy height of CMT 1.
    Which was a bit of a worry. Doing several attachments on OTX's it has dawned on me what lack of kit and training we really had. For instance dishing out pills left right and centre, particularly antibiotics with no real background on indications contra indications etc.... Quite scary in hindsight.
    To be quite frank a little of it was bluff. which really is scary.

Compared to what kit we carry on an NHS ambulance now, looking back it seemed our training was done on the back of a fag packet. No blood sugar monitoring, no ECG's, no bag & masks, no O2.Clearly a Coy Medic can't take everything. vary rarely put nitrile gloves on! No disposable consumables.

My IHCD Paramedic course 4 years ago was a real bruiser. Learning gets harder as you get older. I really had to kick my ass to study and pass the exams.

Certainly having a Medical background helped me on Tech course. But thats where the similarities ended with the Military/Civilian equivalents.

Most NHS Paramedic work is 80% medical (Care of elderly +++ ), 15% trauma, 5% resuscitation. I have yet to do a paediatric resus. And only did my first I.O with that new fandangled makita drill thingy (EZ I.O) on an adult GCS > 8. (without lidocaine too), the drip rate was soooooo slow!, the other week.

Does anyone have the Training objectives for a Mil. Paramedic? I would be interested. or is it IHCD objectives?

13. The RAF use the IHCD curriculum as the medics are detached to the NHS and are trained in the NHS system before going back to the RAF. I dont know our Army colleagues do the same.

14. Comedy Dave,

I have to say your opinion of CMT is very out of date. Kit has moved on and so have procedures. CMT's have a very clear operational performance standard and the days of dishing out whatever you have in your module are long gone.

Kit we now use probably exceedes that used on NHS ambulances.

Mil. Paramedic's are just as qualified as NHS Paramedics otherwise we wouldnt be state registered. As for skills and ratios of casualties/patients it is the same. As an example would a Paramedic in the highlands of scotland come across as many Od's as a City Paramedic, likewise a paramedic working close to major road networks is likely to see more RTC's.

We do work on front line ambulances and as ahcp's we are just as concerned about cpd as you. If anything we are probably overly cautious about meeting standards as most civi paramedics.

15. Hi Tony,

Where do you guys do your paramedic training.