Reg or Officer?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by davethomson2007, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

I am 23 and have 6 GCSE's, 2 AS Levels, An Advanced VCE, An A Level and a Degree at 2:2 level in Business Management.

I am sort of torn now because i am joining the parachute reg at present but as a regular soldier. With my age and qualifications do you think i should be aiming at Officer Status?

I dont have a C in Maths at GCSE and they are seeing if i am still able to apply to be an officer.

Just wondering what people think?

Are there advantages for people with degrees entering as a reg?

2. If your maths is rubbish, which it sounds like it is, then you should fit in well with "The Reg!"

One minor point - do your knuckles scrape on the floor when you walk?
  3. chuckle chuckle. I sense a funny guy.
  4. Your age and qualifications are fairly irrelevant in so far as applying to become an officer. Whether you are a leader or not should be the deciding point. You might have a brain the size of a planet but if you can't lead there is no point applying to become an officer. Why not try and go for it. Or you could join as a soldier and apply once serving.
  5. Thank you very much for your post.

I will take what you have said into consideration. A very good point you just raised.

how easy is applying to be an officer when i am serving?
  6. Seriously though, if you look at Grant Mitchell, a la Eastenders fame, and think "that's me" then you'll do ok?

It's having all manner of objects rammed up your arrse while someone records it on their mobile phone that puts me off.
  7. Why not ask to go on an RCB brief, its only 36 hours long and if you don't like it then you know its not for you. Pass it but still want to the nco route then its always on your file should you consider apply for a commission. Just my thoughts.
  8. Seriously my friend, as others have said, if you have any designs on becoming an Officer, take the direct route and just do it. I commissioned after 6 years as a private soldier and, I can tell you, it was a nightmare.

Incidentally, I don't think people refer to non-commissioned soldiers as 'regs'; they're ORs (Other Ranks).
  9. thanks for all the replies guys.

In what way was the process a nightmare after your 6 years service?
  10. At your age, in the Infantry, you will proberbly spend two years as a Platoon Commander, maybe two years as a Support P/ C or depot, then, maybe, perhaps, after several staff jobs, Company Commander. Then if you are really sharp, after several more staff jobs, maybe, perhaps, Battalion Commander. You could add to the mix by trying to beat the clock, but that is the basic layout of a young Officers career.

If you like soldiering and are not interested in staff work stick to being a soldier. Pass into a Battalion, JNCO Cadre, Junior Brecon then try to beat the clock. If you manage that then a lucrative career awaits you when you decide to leave the service.

I took the Officer route and, despite the advantages which that can give you, regretted it.
  11. S1 makes some good points here. However, it is worth noting that prospects differ greatly between capbadges. For example, as S1 says, in the infantry it's a case of 'maybe, perhaps, Company Commander', but some capbadges have a lot more sub-unit commands than the infantry and can offer better prospects than suggested. The RLC, for example, has an impressive number of sub-units and, therefore, a correspondingly larger number of sub-unit command opportunities. However, they are also very choosy recruiters and don't take just anybody. Nevertheless, the point is well made; look ahead to what a full career in the Army offers you, not just what the first year or so looks like. Join the infantry as an Officer and you may (or may not) regret it later when you don't meet the quality line, or more importantly cannot compete with your peers, for the relatively few sub-unit command slots (ie, you may be a truly fantastic Officer but, if your contemporaries are slightly better, you're knackered).
  12. You may find joining as an OR with a degree will get you some stick - it doesn't happen too often. I had Ph2 soldiers with degrees who said "they didn't want the responsibility". They changed their minds half way through Ph2 and it was a nightmare to get them to RCB, let alone Sandhurst. It is a long and protracted process, which can be futher hampered by how busy your Regiment is - and Paras will be busy! Also, with no offence to the Paras, will you feel intelectually unstimulated if you join as a Para OR? You have the education and life experience behind you, will starting from Private soldier do your nut in?

If you are at all interested in Officer and you do have the quals (degree is enough I think - you can go to Sandhurst with just A levels), I don't think a below C in maths is a drama. Best bet is to check with AOSB bunch at Westbury.
  13. Thanks for your responses.

i think i am gonna have to take a bit of time to think about this. I dont want to waste my qualifications. You may have a point about intellect being an important factor.

Dont get me wrong im not saying i am better than the the other potential OR's but being a bit older the officer route may be more appropriate.
  14. i got told at the careers office that having a degree and joining as an OR does not happen too often.
  15. As an aside, commissioning from the ranks (rather than through the ranks) can be a route to take if you are otherwise lacking in academic qualifications. Not that I would recommend it but, when I commissioned after 6 years service, I did not even have 2 GCSEs to rub together. But then again, I am exceptionally good. :) :roll: