Reg Col RRF Letter to CGS - fact based questioning of decisions

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by smallbrownprivates, Jul 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In full: Brigadier David Paterson's letter to the Chief of Defence Staff - Telegraph

On facts/numbers/large regiment intentions, the letter lays out why the disbandment (or merger ) of 2RRF is illogical.

When asked for the data the decision was founded on, a time sensitive restriction is raised.

I suppose the identity of which sacred under recruited regimental cow has been saved at 2RRFs expense will be revealed on Thursday

2RRF's move to Cyprus for the TRB role seems to be gratuitous bad luck if overses resettlement limitations as outlined: http://www.arrse.co.uk/strategic-defence-spending-review-2010/184216-redundancy-%96-here%92s-kick-balls-you-didn%92t-bargain.html have any foundation

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

There's only one issue here for CGS; "Who leaked?"

3. As I alluded to in my post on the thread you mentioned concerning redundancy & resettlement. The alarmed comments about the possibility of disbandment in Cyprus in this leaked letter seem to bear out my assessment of what they are trying to achieve with this. The good brigadier can insist as much as he likes, that he expects the btn. to be repatriated to UK prior to disbandment, but realistically for organisational & financial reasons that is just not going to happen. They just simply have no where to accomodate or bring them back to in UK nor the time available to start getting involved in trying to organise that. So if they are going to be disbanded, then yes, it will happen in Cyprus where they are situated at the time & everyone will just have to get used to that fact & organising themselves to work around it. It looks like that is going to be just the way it needs to be I`m afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Very, very, sad. Who cares who leaked the Brigadier's letter, his pain, frustration, and anger, not to mention logic, are manifestly apparent. Sadly his plea will fall on deaf ears - ask General Cooper and Brigadier Jackson of the KOSB when they presented a similar argument back in 2004.

5. So if 2 RRF are disbanded and made redundant whilst in Cyprus, suppose they all claim squatters rights and remain in their quarters and SLA? Hmmm.

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

The sort of letter that senior people in the Foot Guards or Household Cavalry never have to write.

Sadly.

• Like Like x 5
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Being disbanded does not mean being made redundant. The unit draws down, its people are posted elsewhere over time, and then someone turns off the lights. But the TRB is a commitment, so the unit has to be at full strength, so if you follow the logic......

8. Arguably the TRB is not a commitment - if it were its officers and men would not have been eligible for redundancy... however, one assumes that the role will be taken on by another Battalion, unless the plan is for a single battalion to garrison both ends of the island and fulfill the TRB role?

9. I wonder if leaking this letter was the best move by those seeking to save 2RRF? Surely CGS cannot be seen to back down?

• Like Like x 1
  10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I agree - completely counter productive. If anything it will drive the final nail into the coffin.

11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It's tuesday. The battalion will be told tomorrow and the announcement's on thursday. There was never a prospect of him changing his mind. This is someone deliberately seting out to embarrass CGS and MOD early. After thursday everyone will be kicking out and today's leak is just an early punch.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

How long before RRF are absorbed, history looks unkindly on single bn regiments outside of Londist.

13. [​IMG]

But I say, don't the uncuttable Ruritanian Regiments look magnificent!

• Like Like x 1
  14. My heart goes out to the Brigadier, who is clearly trying to fight the case for his Regiment. I would hope that every senior officer with ties to Regiments in the position is doing the same thing, otherwise, why the heck are they holding that post?
    I am unhappy that the letter has been leaked though. From my own take, this is a letter written in confidence from a 1* to CGS - I really hope it wasnt written with public circulation in mind. The fact that someone, somewhere, has seen fit to circumvent the chain of command, and breach the trust placed on them by giving access to sensitive information in order to further a capbadge agenda is really worrying.
    The danger of doing leaking is that it is counterproductive - there is a time and place for a debate, and it needs to be done privately where people know they can speak their minds frankly without fear of exposure. The moment something leaks, whatever decision is taken (disband / keep) will be ascribed to special pleading, and reduces the willingness of people to talk and consult. I am a big believer that leaking damages the armed forces - we wouldnt dream of leaking classified material to a foreign power, why are some people naive enough to believe that leaking sensitive information to the media is any different?

15. I hear what you're saying, but the debate seems to start from the premises…

Right, these (insert well known names) Regiments are sacred badges, so I'll hear no arguments as to why they should be cut…