Refusing to Soldier

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by martin7606, Oct 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the rules relating to a serviceman "Refusing to Soldier", I've heard plenty of anecdotal dits on this, but wondered What someone had to do (or not do) to constitute refusing to soldier, What response they would realistically be met with in this day and age and what the consequences are?
  2. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Suggest you go and ask your Adjt, RSM and SSA. And, no, this is not a flippant answer. There are ways and means of dealing with this. Bottom line is the system will always win.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'm out mate, it's not soemthing I'm thinking of! Just something I've always wondered about and was never sure of.
  4. Deleted after reading the OP's response.
  5. Bowmore_Assassin

Fair enough. I was not implying you were about to attempt it ! However, you asked what it constitiutes if someone 'refuses to soldier.' In simple terms it means a soldier refuses to obey any order. Eventually he/she will be asked if they are 'refusing to soldier.' If the answer is yes, there are some fairly robust and legal measures which can be taken in the short term (including jail). Obviously, being charged with an offence would follow...with ensuing punishment.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I remember years ago when I was guard commander in Germany. On taking over I signed for one live body in the cells. I went to have a word with him and found that I knew him and had been of a few benders with him. He told me that he had been sentenced to 21 days nick for parking outside the NAAFI and was really pi$$ed of about it. He had been in the army a couple of years and had been an excellent soldier. It turns out that his OC had been told by the CO to make an example of him as he was fed up with people parking outside the NAAFI. Anyway he told me he was going to refuse to soldier. I could understand why but asked him to wait until I had finished by stint as guard commander - he agreed. For the next week or so I remember the RSM & Provost Sgt and his staff trying to sort him out but he stuck to his guns and quietly left the unit. The story went round that he was discharged and the most of the regiment were on his side. I have not met anyone who could confirm where he went but there were also rumours of disturbed in the COs back garden.
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

9. A lad I'm serving with out here at the moment mentioned that obeying any "order", regardless of how minor would then catagorise a prisoner as agreeing to soldier (for want of a better phrase), hence his peiord of "refusing to soldier" would start again from that obeyed order. The example he used was a guard commander informing a detainee that he was about to be discharged as a result of his refusals, and cunningly telling him to get back into his cell while it was being sorted. The Soldier happily went back to his cell, unwittingly complying with an instruction.

As with many stories you doesnt ring quite true.
  10. Bowmore_Assassin

Technically true, but reality is the CO could decide to discharge the solder (SNLR) anyway. Bottom line is the system wins - soldier either sees sense and cracks on doing as he/she is told, or, gets discharged.
  11. I witnessed an example of this quite closely when it happened to one of our lads way back in the early 1980's.

It's long story so I won't bother going into detail, but my recollection is that it was quite a shock to everybody, this was compounded by the swiftness of the reaction from above.

Despite the brisk initial reaction, the entire thing took some time to sort out and it soured the atmosphere in the unit for a while, but in the end the bloke in question was MD'd so it didn't turn out as badly as expected. Previously rumours had it that he was going to Colly for a long time.

It was a frightening and slightly disturbing thing to witness but I felt that it was handled very efficiently, and I do think the Army reaction was justifiable.

I don't know if the reaction would be the same today.
  12. Bowmore_Assassin

I can tell you any such incident would be dealt with legally, quickly and efficiently.

Edited to add, ...and quite right too.
  13. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I saw this in Berlin with one of our Lcpl.s a really good soldier, just woke up and jacked one morning, He got beasted to bits in the Bn Nick , done 28 days in Collie then went to them. ended up as SNCO. Hard as nails JH where are you now?
  14. Refusing to Soldier was regarded as the 'Holy of Holies' of things not to do when I was in. Much, much worse than AWOL for instance.

Everybody knew the consequences were horrid and would always lead to being given the boot.

Not a good way to leave the Army.
  15. If you wanted out so badly surely cutting round camp smoking a spliff would get the desired result without going to the extremes of refusing to soldier. Im still not sure exactly what constitutes it though, is it just refusing to do anything or carry out any order? Just staying in your pit and telling the badge to "Fcuk off" kind of thing?