Refusing awards?

Hi,

Can anyone confirm for me whether in the US military its possible to refuse an award. I believe you can`t in the UK military, but Lawrence of Arabia did but thats another story. I`m currently reading a book, during which it is alledged that a US marine refuses the Navy Cross for rescueing a wounded marine under fire, stating he was only doing his duty? Can anyone shine any light on this?

DEtails of the book, location of incident and name of the marine might help the crystal ball gazers put such detail in Google and do that for you.

Lawrence of Arabia did not refuse all awards. He was decorated with both the CB and DSO. He later applied for leave to be removed from the register of members of the DSO (it is an order not a medal) but technically was a Companion of the Order of the Bath until his death. He did however refuse the knighthood (KCB) which was offered to him, much to the chagrin of King George V!

I refused an award once... had to opt for courts martial instead.

jonny3979 said:
Cuddles,

Did he say why?

Jonny
It is generally believed that TE Lawrence got all moody and out of shape, to the point of refusing his knighthood because he thought we had shabbily dealt with the A-rabs. However it is also thought that his sad-on commenced in 1918 when his long term Arab "companion", Serim Ali, died of typhus. Having been "chums" for five or six years, the loss of the lad devastated TE, who became quite morose.

Cheers Guys, the Marine in question was Domenic Esquibel.

The Cad do tell your tale!!!! I`d very much like to hear it!!!

I believe that C/Sgt Bourne refused a VC after the action at Rourke's Drift in 1879, however that was because he requested a commission instead, which he was granted...

OldRedCap said:
Mentioned here by Churchill - starts at page 20 of the pdf.

Johnny - good thing there are still some of us old investigators around to find things?
ORC,

At your age dear chap, I was most surprised that you didn't bump into old TE in the Mess.

Jonny

OldRedCap said:
We would not allow 'his sort' into the Sgts' Mess - except possibly at Christmas when almost anything was permitted.
Probable these days that being of a 'certain sort' is the only way into the Sgt's Mess. Basing that on the comment placed on a consultation document by an SIB Major who was 'pleased to be leaving before it is made compulsory'

762baynet said:
I believe that C/Sgt Bourne refused a VC after the action at Rourke's Drift in 1879, however that was because he requested a commission instead, which he was granted...
There is a similar story that Maj Gen Hector MacDonald ("Fighting Mac") was offered the choice of a commission or a VC for his actions in the Second Anglo-Afghan War, and that he opted for the commission, modestly explaining "I will have another chance to win the VC".

Curiously enough, like Bourne, MacDonald was also a C/Sgt at the time and the date was the same - 1879.

Given the same choice, I`m sorry but I`d opt for a VC, I mean who wants to be a abloody rupert anyway!!!!!!!! In 5 minutes time who`ll care if you got commissioned, in 100 years time, people will still remember you as the guy that won the VC at such and such. Not to mention the cash you`d make, young Beharry hasn`t doen to badly out of it has he. I`d take a round to the head it I thought I`d make a million out of it ho,ho,ho.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
When we sent SAS in to clear Osama out of his caves, they tried to award a VC to a WO. He declined it on the grounds that SAS don't do medals because of the risks to PerSec caused by them.

Then his Captain accepted a CGM, so he resigned on the spot.

cpunk

LE
AlienFTM said:
When we sent SAS in to clear Osama out of his caves, they tried to award a VC to a WO. He declined it on the grounds that SAS don't do medals because of the risks to PerSec caused by them.

Cobblers... plus there's no such thing as a 'CGM'.

cpunk said:
AlienFTM said:

Cobblers... plus there's no such thing as a 'CGM'.
Not anymore - there was though.

Another of Bliars reforms it seems.

There is however the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross(CGC) for all ranks and the Medal(CGM) was for other ranks.