Refusal to Let Dying Gurkha See His VC

#1
Hi,

Firstly, I am not in the army, nor ever have been, so apologies if I'm dogging anybody off too much by posting here. I'm a member of fairly exclusive forums myself, so I know it's a pain in the arse when strangers drop by with an appeal or something, but this is pertinent.

The reason I am posting here is because I am currently running a campaign for a Gurkha vet in Nepal. You may have seen a small article in last week's Sun (I am in no way connected to The Sun!) about an ex-Gurkha called Tulbahadur Pun. He is 89 years old and dying from heart problems in Nepal. His last wish is to see his VC one last time, but the Gurkha museum in Winchester is refusing.

Myself and a barrister in London are trying to reunite him with his medal one last time and I am running an online campaign:

http://www.pitcherthis.co.uk/page41.htm

This is not spam or anything stupid- I just think the whole situation sucks and I am trying to attract as much attention to it as possible before it's too late.

If you think it sucks too, then please click on the above link and sign the petition or e-mail the curator at the museum (there's a link on the site).

Thanks in advance for letting me drop by and I hope you can help me help this old guy.

Pitch.
 
#2
They're refusing to let him see it ? Are you sure you're not exaggerating a tiny bit ? Basically what you're saying is that if he rocked up at Pennisular Barracks tomorrow they would lock the doors, or hide the medal from him ? Seems a bit unlikely to me. You're a journalist I'm guessing - maybe you and your barrister mate could stump up for his air fare.

The answer to all this - IMHO - is to make it illegal to sell medals.

Flip
 
#3
Flipper_T_Rox said:
They're refusing to let him see it ? Are you sure you're not exaggerating a tiny bit ? Basically what you're saying is that if he rocked up at Pennisular Barracks tomorrow they would lock the doors, or hide the medal from him ? Seems a bit unlikely to me. You're a journalist I'm guessing - maybe you and your barrister mate could stump up for his air fare.

The answer to all this - IMHO - is to make it illegal to sell medals.

Flip
Take the time to read his webpage, and maybe work on your comprehension skills, then you won't appear so stupid and arrogant.
 
#4
I'm only a journo in as much as I have a website that tries to help people. Nobody's paying me for this.

Did you click and read the link? The situation becomes a little more apparent if you do.

This is a dying Gurkha vet in Nepal we're talking about, who was advised by his officers in the seventies to hand in the medal for safekeeping. Up until 1995 he came over here annually for ceremonies, but now he's obviously too ill to do so. All he wants is to see his medal one last time, before he dies. I'm not asking for money or anything, just trying to raise public awareness.

Why?

I don't know. Maybe because I think the thought of someone who did his bit for our country and is now being denied access to something he earned through outstanding bravery, well, sucks.

Someone has to make a stand. I thought it might as well be me.

Just to reiterate- I am not a journalist and stand to make no money from any of this. Just thought it was a good place to raise awareness, that's all.
 
#6
Email sent

Who is this Major....name, picture and shame please.... if it is legit of course

Ughh I feel like someone who reads the Daily Mail now
 
#7
Read it. One side of a story. The OP is claiming that the Ghurkha museum is refusing to let Pun VC see the medal. I can't see that substantiated in the story. I do see a lot of sensationalist language and faux outrage, but that is besides the point, altough I reckon the OP could easily find themselves a position at The Sun if they wanted ! I also see why the museum is reluctant to let such an article out of their sight, especially to a place like Nepal with the current situation.

The other side of the story is a suggestion that Pun VC sold his gallantry award for a tidy sum, and as things stand he would have been perfectly entitled to do so. I find the concept slightly sordid, but maybe that's just me. There is no more evidence to support this than the other side of the story of course.

In summary, I'm challenging the assertion that the museum is refusing to let him see the medal.

Flip
 
#8
AWOL wrote:

Awol said:
Hint....try a teeny bit of research on Arrse before posting.
Teeny? Nah, I was only researching for Gurkha forums, thanks.

Vonshot, the curator is a Major Gerald Davies. Don't have a picture I'm afraid, but the shame is already in the air and apparent, wouldn't you say? Thanks for your support.
 
#9
Flipper_T_Rox said:
Read it. One side of a story. The OP is claiming that the Ghurkha museum is refusing to let Pun VC see the medal. I can't see that substantiated in the story. I do see a lot of sensationalist language and faux outrage, but that is besides the point, altough I reckon the OP could easily find themselves a position at The Sun if they wanted ! I also see why the museum is reluctant to let such an article out of their sight, especially to a place like Nepal with the current situation.

The other side of the story is a suggestion that Pun VC sold his gallantry award for a tidy sum, and as things stand he would have been perfectly entitled to do so. I find the concept slightly sordid, but maybe that's just me. There is no more evidence to support this than the other side of the story of course.

In summary, I'm challenging the assertion that the museum is refusing to let him see the medal.

Flip
Ahh the beauty of Arrse, Flippers caution and cynical stance, which may be well founded and my "outraged of Tunbride Wells" blat
 
#10
Is this the guy who was on the news a few weeks ago who didn't want to sell his medal despite needing the money for health care and family?

I had a search on BBC but cant find it.


Surely if it still belongs to him and he hasn't sold it, then it's only on loan to the museum?
 
#11
LOL, now I'm stupid *and* arrogant, with poor comprehension skills. Keep flicking through that "mild insult chart" mate, see if you can add any more without actually presenting counter arguments.

My ability to comprehend is adequate for my needs, I just don't like basing my opinions solely on one side of what is an emotive subject.

Flip
 
#12
Flipper_T_Rox said:
LOL, now I'm stupid *and* arrogant, with poor comprehension skills. Keep flicking through that "mild insult chart" mate, see if you can add any more without actually presenting counter arguments.

My ability to comprehend is adequate for my needs, I just don't like basing my opinions solely on one side of what is an emotive subject.

Flip
A counter arguement to what? Your rudeness to someone's first post?
 
#13
I don't recall being rude, I'm sorry, but I really don't. I mean, if I'd called him - for example - stupid or arrogant, then *that* might be construed as being the teeniest bit rude.

I fear you're mistaking "taking a different stance" as "rudeness".

Flip
 
#15
Surely any decision rests purely on whether the medal has been sold.

If it had at no time been sold, and is indeed being held by the Gurkha Museum for "safekeeping," then the VC is Tulbahadur Pun's and should be returned to him without question if he requests it.

If the medal had been sold and was subsequently loaned or donated to the Museum, then the Museum would be wrong to return it (at least without permission from the current owner).

I've looked on the internet and can't find a statement either way regarding ownership, beyond some comments that suggest that the medal "has been involved in some trade." It is also interesting that Tulbahadur Pun has "borrowed" the medal during his previous annual visits, a phrase suggesting that the medal is no longer in his ownership.

While it may be a benevolent tribute to have the medal present at Tulbahadur Pun's funeral (though this act could, itself, result in undignified events at the funeral with potential disputes over moral and legal ownership), the hard lesson has to be learned that if you sell something, it ceases to be yours.
 
#16
Firstly, I don't think anyone was rude to my post. It's only natural to be suspicious and, after all, online forums are the best place to be suspicious.

Secondly, this is not an OP. The only thing I, a CIVVY, am intending to do is try and achieve is a piece of, from what I can see, basic justice. The medal's his, he earned it- what else is there to say?

He didn't sell it, he gave it to the museum in the 70's for safekeeping. Safekeeping, that's all and upon the advice of hs senior officers. If there was any question of his trying to sell it before he dies, then esteemed barristers in London would not be also fighting his cause. And even if he was trying to sell it, so ******* what? He earned it. He didn't sell it to the Gurkha museum.

Flipper- thanks for saying I could gain a post at The Sun, but really, that's really rude, lol.

And sensationalist language and faux-outrage?

There's nothing faux about my outrage, mate, I'm serious about this.

www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Gurkha Campaign
 
#17
After some more thought, perhaps a compromise could be struck. If the medal is owned by the museum, perhaps it would be appropriate for the ribbon to be returned to Tulbahadur Pun, provided that this is the original ribbon. This could be worn by Tulbahadur Pun until his death, and indeed during his cremation, thus taking his award with him.
 
#18
putteesinmyhands said:
After some more thought, perhaps a compromise could be struck. If the medal is owned by the museum, perhaps it would be appropriate for the ribbon to be returned to Tulbahadur Pun, provided that this is the original ribbon. This could be worn by Tulbahadur Pun until his death, and indeed during his cremation, thus taking his award with him.
What a good, and indeed moving, idea.
 
#19
Moving, but not enough, sadly.

All the man wants is to see his VC one more time, before he dies. The metal bit, not just the ribbon.

Why compromise about something you risked life and limb for?

Make no mistake.

He WANTS TO WEAR HIS VC ONE MORE TIME BEFORE HE DIES.

**** me; imagine if this was your grandfather and not some forgotten sod in Nepal.

Just what is so difficult about all this? I just don't get it.

Really, I don't.

Link again, for latecomers:

http://www.pitcherthis.co.uk/page41.htm
 
#20
Do you have any idea of a) the value of a VC? Not blood sweat and tears value, but actual value? b) The insurance and security required facilitating this request? c) The legal ramifications of what you are suggesting in so much as who actually owns this medal is a cause for concern and d) the financial cost of running the Gurkah museum annually and their income?

Why don't you flip this on its head and raise the cost of insuring, safeguarding, transporting and replacing the medal if when it arrives in Nepal it is stolen, or a legal battle ensues over ownership.

Just a thought from another civvy.

However, as Awol has posted previously, this matter is being looked at and only when all the facts are gathered and both sides looked at would I dream of making any suggestions. Try it, you might like it Pitcherthis.

Beebs
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top