Refusal to Let Dying Gurkha See His VC

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by pitcherthis, Jul 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Firstly, I am not in the army, nor ever have been, so apologies if I'm dogging anybody off too much by posting here. I'm a member of fairly exclusive forums myself, so I know it's a pain in the arse when strangers drop by with an appeal or something, but this is pertinent.

The reason I am posting here is because I am currently running a campaign for a Gurkha vet in Nepal. You may have seen a small article in last week's Sun (I am in no way connected to The Sun!) about an ex-Gurkha called Tulbahadur Pun. He is 89 years old and dying from heart problems in Nepal. His last wish is to see his VC one last time, but the Gurkha museum in Winchester is refusing.

Myself and a barrister in London are trying to reunite him with his medal one last time and I am running an online campaign:

http://www.pitcherthis.co.uk/page41.htm

This is not spam or anything stupid- I just think the whole situation sucks and I am trying to attract as much attention to it as possible before it's too late.

If you think it sucks too, then please click on the above link and sign the petition or e-mail the curator at the museum (there's a link on the site).

Thanks in advance for letting me drop by and I hope you can help me help this old guy.

Pitch.

2. They're refusing to let him see it ? Are you sure you're not exaggerating a tiny bit ? Basically what you're saying is that if he rocked up at Pennisular Barracks tomorrow they would lock the doors, or hide the medal from him ? Seems a bit unlikely to me. You're a journalist I'm guessing - maybe you and your barrister mate could stump up for his air fare.

The answer to all this - IMHO - is to make it illegal to sell medals.

Flip

3. Take the time to read his webpage, and maybe work on your comprehension skills, then you won't appear so stupid and arrogant.

4. I'm only a journo in as much as I have a website that tries to help people. Nobody's paying me for this.

Did you click and read the link? The situation becomes a little more apparent if you do.

This is a dying Gurkha vet in Nepal we're talking about, who was advised by his officers in the seventies to hand in the medal for safekeeping. Up until 1995 he came over here annually for ceremonies, but now he's obviously too ill to do so. All he wants is to see his medal one last time, before he dies. I'm not asking for money or anything, just trying to raise public awareness.

Why?

I don't know. Maybe because I think the thought of someone who did his bit for our country and is now being denied access to something he earned through outstanding bravery, well, sucks.

Someone has to make a stand. I thought it might as well be me.

Just to reiterate- I am not a journalist and stand to make no money from any of this. Just thought it was a good place to raise awareness, that's all.

5. Hint....try a teeny bit of research on Arrse before posting.

6. Email sent

Who is this Major....name, picture and shame please.... if it is legit of course

Ughh I feel like someone who reads the Daily Mail now

7. Read it. One side of a story. The OP is claiming that the Ghurkha museum is refusing to let Pun VC see the medal. I can't see that substantiated in the story. I do see a lot of sensationalist language and faux outrage, but that is besides the point, altough I reckon the OP could easily find themselves a position at The Sun if they wanted ! I also see why the museum is reluctant to let such an article out of their sight, especially to a place like Nepal with the current situation.

The other side of the story is a suggestion that Pun VC sold his gallantry award for a tidy sum, and as things stand he would have been perfectly entitled to do so. I find the concept slightly sordid, but maybe that's just me. There is no more evidence to support this than the other side of the story of course.

In summary, I'm challenging the assertion that the museum is refusing to let him see the medal.

Flip

8. AWOL wrote:

Teeny? Nah, I was only researching for Gurkha forums, thanks.

Vonshot, the curator is a Major Gerald Davies. Don't have a picture I'm afraid, but the shame is already in the air and apparent, wouldn't you say? Thanks for your support.

9. Ahh the beauty of Arrse, Flippers caution and cynical stance, which may be well founded and my "outraged of Tunbride Wells" blat

10. Is this the guy who was on the news a few weeks ago who didn't want to sell his medal despite needing the money for health care and family?

I had a search on BBC but cant find it.

Surely if it still belongs to him and he hasn't sold it, then it's only on loan to the museum?

11. LOL, now I'm stupid *and* arrogant, with poor comprehension skills. Keep flicking through that "mild insult chart" mate, see if you can add any more without actually presenting counter arguments.

My ability to comprehend is adequate for my needs, I just don't like basing my opinions solely on one side of what is an emotive subject.

Flip

12. A counter arguement to what? Your rudeness to someone's first post?

13. I don't recall being rude, I'm sorry, but I really don't. I mean, if I'd called him - for example - stupid or arrogant, then *that* might be construed as being the teeniest bit rude.

I fear you're mistaking "taking a different stance" as "rudeness".

Flip

14. Surely any decision rests purely on whether the medal has been sold.

If it had at no time been sold, and is indeed being held by the Gurkha Museum for "safekeeping," then the VC is Tulbahadur Pun's and should be returned to him without question if he requests it.

If the medal had been sold and was subsequently loaned or donated to the Museum, then the Museum would be wrong to return it (at least without permission from the current owner).

I've looked on the internet and can't find a statement either way regarding ownership, beyond some comments that suggest that the medal "has been involved in some trade." It is also interesting that Tulbahadur Pun has "borrowed" the medal during his previous annual visits, a phrase suggesting that the medal is no longer in his ownership.

While it may be a benevolent tribute to have the medal present at Tulbahadur Pun's funeral (though this act could, itself, result in undignified events at the funeral with potential disputes over moral and legal ownership), the hard lesson has to be learned that if you sell something, it ceases to be yours.