Reformatting my computer

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BossHogg, Jan 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to wipe my computer clean and start from scratch, I don't have a boot disc but I've noticed the OS is on a partition, how do access the partition so I can make a copy of it. My computer has been playing up recently. Very slow to load programs not accessing the internet etc. I just want to start from scratch. I'm running windows XP home. any help would be appreciated, and yes I am a computer Biff!! :roll:
  2. Do not under any circumstances reimage your PC unless your holding in your hand a working copy of the XP install disk and your PC's drivers.
  3. I'm sure there's other threads about this issue but you also need to backup your current data, including your usernames and passwords for email, broadband account (if applicable) and others, such as ebay etc.
  4. We might just spend a mo asking ourselves what is wrong with it so you don't repeat it next time. Sounds like bad viruses to me.
  5. msr

msr LE

try running this first:

p.s. if you do make a backup, make sure you test the restore before you wipe the PC

puter might just be full of shit(brown) give it a blast with ad-aware before any drastic action and see what happens, nowt to loose either way!
    CCleaners good too(and free)
  7. Stop Stop Stop!

If you are running XP Home, there is a facility in Start/All Programs/Acessories/System Tools called System Restore. This facility will restore your Computer to an earlier restore point. Try this first.

If you got your computer from a vendor such as Compaq/Dell etc they usually include a restoration/repair disk, which will restore your OS without loss of data. If you have not got this disk but have an OEM copy of the OS, (it must be OEM - Original Equipment Manufcturer - Otherwise the Microsoft Clearing House will not validate your installation and you will be up sheisse creek), ensure you back up all your critical data (files etc) before your re-install. Do as IT Guy syads and record all your usernames and passwords, and ensure you have the driver disks for all your hardware peripherals.

Good luck!

8. I have the driver disc for all the peripherals, I've copied all my important files to disc, All my passwords are stored safely in a notepad locked in my filing cabinet. All the programs I use are safely on a second disc. I've done system restore and that is not sorting the problem, I've used ccleaner and got rid of all the rubbish. For some reason the computer won't let me install my broadband saying I don't have permission, yet I'm the only user and have the administrator account, any suggestions?
  9. msr

msr LE

When you say:

Which operating system are you using?
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    How do you connect to the internet (modem / router?)
    Which ISP?
    Do you get any error numbers?

10. All I'm trying to do is access the internet. My computer dials up to the web using the broadband router, it displays the message, "You are now connected to virgin broadband, running at 2.2mbps", (which is good as I only pay for 1 meg!!) It lets me go onto the home page, very occasionally it'll let me go onto another page, but only just. Then it'll take an age to open only to display the message, "This page cannot be displayed" no error code, it just advises me to make sure I'm connected, which I am! I have an email program that checks multiple addresses for me, that goes online no problem and downloads my messages. I am running XP home on a Tiny computer, I'm afraid I'm a complete computer biff so I can't explain any further. Thinking it was a problem with the broadband installation, I uninstalled it and tried to re install it. The computer is still showing that it's uninstalling. When I try to proceed, I get the message, saying it's something to do with "IKernel.exe" which is part of win32. It also says i'm unable to procced any further as I don't have the privilege to do so!!
  11. Make and model number of your bit of kit that gives you access to the internet??

Sounds like a DNS problem if your email client works but can't load web pages.
  12. Follow this link to Microsoft Technet. It will describe all of the IKernel.exe problems and hopefully you will find the answer there

If you cannot access the site, which sounds as if you cannot here is a summary:

When you try to install a program that uses InstallShield, you may receive the following error message:
    The install Shield engine "ikernel.exe" could not be launched -Error loading type library /dll
    Back to the top

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing from the Windows\System32 folder: • Stdole32.tlb
    • Stdole2.tlb
    • Stdole.tlb

Back to the top

To resolve this issue, expand the appropriate file from the Windows XP CD: 1. Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD. Click OK.
    2. To change to the root folder of drive C, type cd\, and then press ENTER.
    3. Insert the Windows XP CD, type Expand cd_drive_letter:\i386\filename.tl_ drive:\Windows\system32\filename.tlb, and then press ENTER, where filename is the name of the file that you want to expand and drive is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed.

For help with the Expand command, type EXPAND /? at a command prompt.

You have a computer that is running Winternals Administrator's Pak. When you try to install a product that uses the InstallShield installer, you may receive the following error message:
    The InstallShield Engine (Ikernel.exe) could not be launched. Error Loading Type Library/DLL patch
    Additionally, you cannot continue with the installation.
    Back to the top

This problem occurs when InstallShield components on the computer are corrupted or missing.
    Back to the top

To resolve this problem, use the following methods. After you complete a method, run Setup. If Setup does not work, go to the next method.
    Back to the top

Method 1
    Delete the files that are in Temp directory.
    Back to the top

Method 2
    Delete the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine
    Back to the top

Method 3
    Follow these steps: 1. Open the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32
    2. In this folder, delete the folder that contains the IKernel.exe file.
    3. Install and run the InstallShield installer. To do this, visit the following Web site: (
    The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
    Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Programs that use the InstallShield program may not start, and you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Setup failed to launch installation engine: Access is denied.

Error installing Ikernel.exe, access is denied.
    Back to the top

This behavior can occur if there are insufficient Component Object Model (COM) permissions.
    Back to the top

To resolve this behavior, set the necessary permissions that are needed to successfully complete the installation: 1. At a command prompt, type: dcomcnfg.exe. The Distributed COM Configuration Properties dialog box is displayed.
    2. Click the Default Security tab.
    3. In the Default Access Permissions section, click Edit.
    4. Ensure that you have "Allow Access" beside your name.
    5. If you do not have "Allow Access" next to your name, either modify an existing profile or create a new profile that has the necessary permissions.
    6. Apply all the changes and attempt to run Setup.

Back to the top

If installation or initialization errors, or denial of access errors occur, you may not have sufficient COM permissions on the workstation or server to successfully complete the installation.

This behavior can also be caused by a logon script, domain policies, or file system permissions. If this behavior persists, contact InstallShield Technical Support at either of the following InstallShield Web sites: ( (
    InstallShield Technical Support: (847) 240-9111

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

If you try to install an application on a Microsoft Windows-based device, and the installation process requires Microsoft ActiveSync 3.6, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    Message 1
    The installShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.
    IKernel.exe could not be copied to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32'.
    Make sure that you have the appropriate privileges to copy files to this folder. (0x5)
    Message 2
    "Invalid Windows CE Setup Files: Application Manager cannot install this application on your mobile device due to an invalid setup file. Reinstall and try again."
    To install any application on a Windows-based device, you must have Administrator rights because some files that can be changed or updated are system files. To change system files, you must have Administrator rights. Restricted rights and Standard rights are insufficient. Do not change the current applications to remove all the applications except ActiveSync. If you leave the other applications listed, searches may be more inclusive.

• Microsoft ActiveSync 3.6

Back to the top

Keywords: kbdswce2003swept kbinfo KB825676

Hope this helps mate. Microsoft Access rights over the Kernel part of the OS are notoriously difficult to resolve. You could try accessing the Virgin support line (there should be a telephone number somewhere in your documentation)

13. I'm not too sure as I'm not at home, I know it's a Thompson usb broadband router. I'm off out on patrol in a moment so I'll post further details tomorrow when I'm back on duty.
  14. If your problem is only related to internet/e-mail issues, give the Virginmedia helpline a call.

I had a problem just before Xmas and phoned them at midnight as this proved to be a quiet time for them. I was a bit worried about the 25p per minute call costs as I'd already spent several hours fiddling with things and making them worse.

In the end, there was no need to worry. The nice Indian gentlemen took into account that I wasn't technically minded and went through everything in slow time. After ten minutes, he said that the problem would take some time to resolve and asked for my mobile phone number so that he could call me back at no further cost to me. He did this and we spent another hour putting things right.

Once my settings had been returned to what they should have been, he told me that he'd have to reset my details on their server. As this would take a bit of time, he asked what time I'd be getting up and arranged to call me to check that everything was working normally.

Next morning, on the dot of the agreed time, he called and, sure enough, everything was working well.

Their helpline can also help with issues relating to other hardware and software conflicts, though they charge £1 a minute for this. I don't know if they'd be as keen to phone back in these circumstances, though.

All in all, I was quite impressed (but then I'm easily impressed, anyway).