Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refoming the House of Lords

Be careful what you wish for.

The Rt Hon MP for Sedgemoor was behind the most recent "reform" of the Hise Of Lairds.

He had me fooled - I fell hooklineandsinker for the notion that killing off the hereditaries was in-and-of-itself a good thing.

It took me a good long time to twig that what he had given us instead is the abortion we have today - as you describe - whilst at the same time eroding (eventually to nowt, as the few remaining hereditaries breathe their last) the Crown power-base in the Palace of Westminster.

This very effectively deprived the ability of Monarch to hold Parliament to account, and thus demolished (in all but name) the cherished checks-and-balances that supposedly safeguard our democracy and our treasured yet imaginary (imaginary because it is un-documented, which suits very well the likes of the aforementioned Rt Hon gentleman, hence remains an issue never to be addressed).

Mother of all Parlaiments? Greatest and oldest of all democracies?

My arrse.
Do you mean Sedgefield? Sedgefield is in Co Durham, whereas Sedgemoor is in Somerset (as in 'battle of . . .) and falls within the constituency of Bridgwater.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve often thought that the Upper House should be elected by PR, thus reflecting the ‘popular vote’ whilst maintaining the strength of a ‘first past the post’ HoC.
As it is in Australia.

Hear, hear!

But ironic that the guy complaining about pomposity and peacocks in ermine is Quentin Letts of the bright red braces and matching cravat!

I agree that the HofL is totally out of control and not for for purpose. When there are so many Liberal Lords compared to number of MPs the place is totally out of kilter with public view.

I think there is an absolute need for a second chamber, but not in this current form. Just look at how Sturgeon forces through bad Bills that have had no scrutiny in the one chambered Scottish parliament.

Expenses need to be sorted as well. Turning up, signing in and getting back in the taxi should not incurr a day's expenses. Even during lockdown, if they logged in they could claim half expenses - what expense if working from home? Certainly not £175. Get rid of the Lord's Spiritual as well. Why should Church of England bishops have such a say in the running of the country?

Maybe the time is right to change it to electing Lords.
Could be done at the same time as a GE - just varying numbers of candidates depending on deaths, resignations, certifiable lunacy / dementia etc

Sandy Heath

Old-Salt
The trouble with PR is that you have to have several representatives for each constituency, so losing the concept of a "Constituency MP" representing all voters, not just those supporting his/her/its party. The party lists usually include a lot of people you have never heard of (cf the EU elections: how many of your MEP's could you name?). Better is the Norn Iron STV system where you vote for individual candidates but you can prioritise your choices so there is less opportunity for tactical voting and you can still vote for your party without necessarily voting for the first choice of the party machine.
I’ve often thought that the Upper House should be elected by PR, thus reflecting the ‘popular vote’ whilst maintaining the strength of a ‘first past the post’ HoC.
The trouble with PR is that you have to have several representatives for each constituency, so losing the concept of a "Constituency MP" representing all voters, not just those supporting his/her/its party. The party lists usually include a lot of people you have never heard of (cf the EU elections: how many of your MEP's could you name?). Better is the Norn Iron STV system where you vote for individual candidates but you can prioritise your choices so there is less opportunity for tactical voting and you can still vote for your party without necessarily voting for the first choice of the party machine.

Latest Threads