Refinishing Pace Stick

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by danny_cc, Nov 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have just bought a pace stick second hand and the varnish is a but 'bumpy' on it and the brass is a bit scuffed, does anyone know how I can refinish it in a different colour (It is more of a cherry colour and I want it to be black) and does anyone know where I can get some replacement brass fittings for it (silver).

2. You are Maralyn Manson and I claim my five pounds.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Photograph it well so you know how it went together then unscrew the brass parts.

On the wood use something like Nitromorse to strip the varnish then wash it well with white spirtit and a brush.

Let it dry a couple of days and use a good black wood stain.

Coat it with a thin layer of high gloss varnish.

Let it dry for a few days.

Lightly rub it down with wire wool, wash, dry and add a second coat.....keep repeating this until it doesn't look like an injured sheep did the varnishing.

Duraglit the brass, reassemble.

March round screaming.
    • Like Like x 1

4. Thanks a lot, would I need to use the silvo draglit, or is there another type of duraglit to use?
  5. If you don't know how to bull stuff up, you shouldn't be carrying a ******* pace stick!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Just buy a new one and have it within 2 days instead of titting about with an old one?
  7. The Brasso one, the silver one doesn't work too well on brass. Or use Brasso.
  8. MiB is correct. Don't **** about and do it properly first time.
  9. maninblack

It is not going to be easy to get a good finish first time. The key is thin coats of varnish rubbed smooth after drying.
  10. Home

These are the boys you want - and the owner is a top lad who won't screw you over. I drink with him regularly!
  11. My question is, does the duraglit turn the brass silver or does it just shine it up?
  12. No, brass stays brass.

And for the french polish make sure the meths is off the cold shelf, tastes much better.
  13. Just for interest...

What is the difference between "racer" and "traditional" sticks? Is it just the weight?

Why would you want a lightweight stick..?

Not that I EVER want to get close to one of these feckin things (or their maniac owners) again you understand....

Two years of Ray Huggins, Jim Cushion and Piggy Barnes on Old College square was quite enough thanks..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. maninblack

"Racing" pacesticks are easier to use as they are lighter. A second consideration is that there is an ideal length for your height. If you buy your pacestick from a manufacturer who knows what they are doing then they have a range of gauge pieces which suit each length they make to maintain the trigonometry. Issue sticks are the same length whether you are 5 feet 4 or 6 feet 8 inchesand so they remain folded up under the RSM's arm because they don't work.
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No, but I have an inexpensive machine for sale which turns brass into gold. PM me for details, yah?

Otherwise, what mainin is saying is sound. Do a Google on French Polishing. Light, thin coats. Rub down with wire wool. Plan on the job taking weeks not days.