• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Referendum Bill Passes First Hurdle 304 votes to nil

MPs vote for law promising EU referendum by 304 - 0 - Telegraph

Liked this bit

The vast majority of Labour and Lib Dem MPs stayed away from the debate, dismissing the whole European Union (Referendum) Bill as a parliamentary "stunt".

However, not a single MP actually voted against the Bill for fear of alienating the electorate, as the party leaders fear many voters are anti-Europe.
Proof Positive that most of those who inhabit the Westminster Village are Spineless w@ankers.

If you disagree with something then you should say so not hide away and curse the measure from afar (in the hope no one notices).

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
This Bill will go nowhere. The reason why there is a coalition is because the Tories couldn't command a majority at the last election. Their partners don't want this Bill, anti-EU Labour MPs were upset by the blatent party political nature of the Bill and so won't support it. The Tories can't garner enough support to moe the Bill forward. It will die on it's arse.

I started a revolution once.

But I got dizzy, so I stopped!
Mugatu is Tom Watson in flesh. :wink:

Watson to Milliband said:
I just don't think you need me in the Shadow Cabinet any more. After nearly thirty years of this, I feel like I've seen the merry-go-round turn too many times. Whereas the Shadow Cabinet's for people who still want to get dizzy.

This Bill will go nowhere. The reason why there is a coalition is because the Tories couldn't command a majority at the last election. Their partners don't want this Bill, anti-EU Labour MPs were upset by the blatent party political nature of the Bill and so won't support it. The Tories can't garner enough support to moe the Bill forward. It will die on it's arse.
The Bill will "die on it's arse" when Labour wins the next election due to the UKIP effect.

Remember, a vote for UKIP is a vote to deprive oneself of a referendum and another Labour government resolutely wedded to further EU integration.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
What exactly will the vote be? A straight "Yes-No/In-Out", or a myriad of terms and conditions, with no chance of a real break?

I would like to see the former, but strongly suspect the latter. More weasel worded, voter - awing tripe from our 'betters'.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
What exactly will the vote be? A straight "Yes-No/In-Out", or a myriad of terms and conditions, with no chance of a real break?

I would like to see the former, but strongly suspect the latter. More weasel worded, voter - awing tripe from our 'betters'.
If we vote no, they'd make us vote again

The Bill will "die on it's arse" when Labour wins the next election due to the UKIP effect.

Remember, a vote for UKIP is a vote to deprive oneself of a referendum and another Labour government resolutely wedded to further EU integration.
If that is the case WhiteCity Old Chap, then surely the sensible option would be to hold a referendum prior to the GE, thereby taking the wind out of UKIPs sails?

How strange - the Tories introduce a LibDem election pledge and Clegg & Co disappear.

Remember this from their manifesto -

The European Union has evolved significantly since the last public vote on membership over thirty years ago. Liberal Democrats therefore remain committed to an in / out referendum the next time a British government signs up for fundamental change in the relationship between the UK and the EU.
What is it with LibDems and election promises?

How strange - the Tories introduce a LibDem election pledge and Clegg & Co disappear.

Remember this from their manifesto -

What is it with LibDems and election promises?
Although to be fair to the Lib Dems, the others are equally adept at dissembling.

I agree with Nigel Farage on Europe insomuch as it is the administration of the EU (and porcine bureaucracy in general) that I object to, not the concept itself. I'm not sure disenchantment with some aspects of the euro parliament is a good enough reason for me to want to chuck the whole shebang on the bonfire.

The problem is that voting to get out of the EU seems to be the only way of registering our disapproval.

And thus the circular argument starts again!

The wording is in the bill

Original (sort of Government) draft had it as -

....... “Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union?”

James Wharton changed it to -

....... “Do you think that the United Kingdom should be a member of the European Union?”

One point made yesterday is that the wording of any referendum can only be set by the Electoral Commission under the Referendums Act (2000), but whether they would change something as simple as the above to decide the issue is a moot point.

Does anyone seriously think our political troughing classes will allow themselves to excluded from the hugely lucrative post Westminster employment oppotunities EU membership brings?

Latest Threads