Referendum - A Poll

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Nov 4, 2009.

?
  1. No. The Lisbon Treaty is settled.

8.9%
  2. Yes. I'll vote to stay in the EU.

2.2%
  3. Yes. I'll vote to leave the EU.

54.4%
  4. Yes. I'll only vote to stay if constitution is repealed.

30.0%
  5. I'm emigrating.

4.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The poll questions speak for themselves. Please read them all before pinging your answer.

2. leave…

3. Boll ocks I just got here.

4. Just a thought .... shouldn't there be an option for 'should be get a referendum on the Constitution?', as opposed to a referendum on the EU as a whole.

5. I would vote to leave and then foster better relations with the commonwealth countries and use that to foster better trade links.

6. Why don't we just do what the French do? You know, nod and agree to everything, and then go and do our own thing anyway when it suits us, constitution be damned.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I felt I had covered that with I'll only vote to stay if the Constitution is repealed.

Given where we are it would be an expensive point of principle to demand a referendum on a constitution that is already in place and then intend to vote for it.

8. Never was a truer word spoken! It's always irritated me as to why we follow the rules so literally when the French shrug, smile and do their own thing....and get away with it. Pah we should be more like the French (did I just say that 8O ).

9. But it was promised by you know who, and it would give all involved a clear indication of how the public stands on the EU as a whole.

10. Well the transformation has begun with the Lisbon signed it is only a matter of time before we will have to rename Waterloo, Trafalgar Square and have all references to Agincourt, Crecy etc removed from our history books.

11. This Referendum has been promised by EVERYONE, knowing full well they didn't have to deliver it. The Irish got to vote on it TWICE.

We are being taken for a ride in this country as someone said who has just text me and I quote "We need to reform our relationship with Europe. I've never voted for it, never mind in favour. No one under 54 has."

12. Yes every party promised a referendum but only one had the ability to do it before the treaty was signed and they reneged on their promise. There is absolutely no point on beating up Call me Dave on this because that will only let the numpty that didn't allow us the referendum back into power for another 5 years. Now is that a good idea.

13. It's started already. The Italians have been told to remove crucifixes from school classrooms as, somehow, they violate the European Convention on Human Rights.

A referendum on the constitution would be a pointless gesture. It's a done deal.

We're going to get a president and a Euro foreign minister whether we like it or not. They're going to be larging it up around the world and getting into pi$$ing contests with national leaders and foreign ministers about who takes the lead. Just wait till the next time Air Force One lands anywhere in Europe. If you think Gordon's efforts to bend over for Barak are embarrassing, you aint seen nothing yet.

Interesting suggestion from a Tory commentator last night on telly. He reckoned that Dave's strategy will be to try to rein in the EU by using Britain's contributions for leverage. IIRC, of only 4 net contributors, Britain is the second largest, paying £60 million per day to subsidise French farmers and Italian Mafiosi.

At the end of Dave's first parliament, there would be a referendum about whether to leave the EU.

14. What has the ECHR got to do with the EU....they are not the same organisation at all......which is why Russia ect are party to the ECHR....Jesus do people even know what they dislike anymore?.... :p :D

15. There is no doubt that there needs to be a repeat of Maggies handbagging of the council of ministers, but this time the pressure will need to be kept up, or it will all be pointless. And waiting till the end of Daves first term maty well make it his last.