References after short service.

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by AJ673, Sep 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

I was hoping I could get some help regarding references. Left the Army in February after 6 Months. I was discharged during Phase 1 (administrative, medical grounds). Most of that time was spent on "USL". Roughly around a month was actually spent at Pirbright. Unless the conditions leading to my discharge are entirely relevant (I wan't an horrible 'un or owt, discharge was purely medical) I wouldn't like to go in to that on here. I was just wondering a few things.

1. How would I go about getting a reference?
    2. Am I wasting my time even trying?
    3. Will a reference include the details of my medical history?
    4. If I didn't spend much time getting involved (wasn't allowed), will that reflect poorly on my reference?
    5. Is my record of service, discharge papers sufficient to an employer?

I'm just hoping that this won't create a problem for me, I've been out of work since I left.

Thanks for any help,

2. 1. How would I go about getting a reference?

Try contacting a member of your training staff.

2. Am I wasting my time even trying?

Maybe... They will probably write something based on a file. But they probably won't remember or put a huge amount of effort in.

3. Will a reference include the details of my medical history?

4. If I didn't spend much time getting involved (wasn't allowed), will that reflect poorly on my reference?

They won't write a reference which is negative. They would refuse before writing it.

5. Is my record of service, discharge papers sufficient to an employer?

Probably. How about not mentioning it though. It's not a huge career gap, and admitting you only really did a month will make you look like a bit of a wetty.

3. Thanks,

I do have to include it in my CV as I'm only 19. Have always worked prior to joining the army (Aged 18). Infact, it's pretty much a year since I started training. Given that I've only had 3/4 working years. A years quite a large gap, unfortunately.

Do mainly agree with the "wetty" opinion. Trying to put it behind me, but untill I get another job, the Army is my previous employer.
  4. Chin up, chest out. Move on. You didn't quit or give up, you got medically booted. No shame in that.

On the plus side you are plenty young enough to still do whatever you want. Be that an apprenticeship or whatever. Put down you were employed by them for the whole time. Tell the truth and say you got medically discharged. If it's something embarrassing or something you don't want them to know about just say you had bad shin splints. No one will hold it against you.
  5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Totally agree with the rest of what sammym said but do not lie to a potential future emplyer about medical history. They WILL find out and if you are later found to have mislead them it's grounds for dismissal. Better to give no details and wait until actually asked rather than lie.
  6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The civilian perspective....

At your present age, the 6 months in the army is a significant chunk of your working life. Were I a prospective employer interviewing you and I thought you were being evasive about it, it would be a no-no for me. If your injury was training related and unlikely to interfere with civilian employment, I'd be open about it.

Army (March 2013 - August 2013): discharged due to medical problem during training. Injury will clear and is not permanent. In all other respects performance during training was completely acceptable.

In a civilian job interview, typically you only talk in detail about the potential employee's last two companies. After that you skim through and take it on trust. So in 5 - 6 years time when you're after your third civilian job, no one's going to spend more than 2 minutes on your 6 months in the Army during any interview.

7. All they really want to know is that you haven't been banged up fo 6 months for theft before they give you a key to the petty cash box.
  8. Thank you everyone,

I am open about it in interviews, but I've never had to support an application with references. I applied for this one, then they told me they need references. Usually, I'd just leave it at that with references being a bit of a pain. But, it's a pretty interesting job (forensic technician) so, I'm going to play the game and get the references. It's not that I don't want them to know why I as discharged, it's just not the kind of thing I'd want a potential employer knowing the ins and outs of. But, I'm usually happy to tell them the reason why I was discharged without going into in depth detail.

Again, thank you for any advice. Will keep it in mind throughout my job search.
  9. Bung me £20 - I'll knock you up a cracker, headed notepaper and everything!!
  10. £20? I've forgotten what they look like!

I've found on the website this adress;

APC MS Support - Disclosures 1
    MP 520,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    G2 8EX

Tel: 0845 600 9663
    Fax: 0141 224 3172

If I was to use this a reference, how do I send my aproval for them to release my records?

Just a generic;

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to express consent for comapny XXX to be given a record of my employment as part of a reference.

(or something to that degree)

Would I need to send them the details of where I've been/Service No/My address?
  11. There's a phone number on there - ring it.
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Many employers now will only produce, and therefore expect, a "neutral" reference. This will confirm that you worked somewhere from (date) to (date) in the role of (job title). A simple "Discharged on medical grounds" is all that you should expect to show as the detail is medical in confidence. If your job warrants your employer knowing more about your medical history they can ask you to volunteer this information, send you for a pre-employment medical or ask to to allow their doctor access to your medical records.
  13. I think I've got my head around it, thank you for all your advice. Hopefully, I'll get some interest from the employer.

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

When I transferred to RAPC Computer Centre (Manning), a bunch of us took a familiarisation trip to Manning and Records Office Taunton (look it's quarter of a century ago, the army has retrenched massively: names and places have changed. Not my fault).

The question came up of what happened about references for a squaddie on discharge. We were told that when a certain soldier's CO did not provide one to MRO, they wrote back to the CO and he refused. They told him he was obliged to and get on with it. He still refused. MRO had the COC come down on the CO.

The CO wrote an unprintable reference cos the squaddie was a scrote. MRO sent it back along with guidelines telling him to rewrite it. CO toned it down. Not enough for MRO. It went back and forth.

Eventually, the CO wrote a reference that read, "This soldier served in my unit."

So, however shit it may be, the onus for a reference in 1986 lay entirely on the soldier's CO and MRO.

How much it relates to today? Who knows. Hope it helps. If not, I hope it amuses.