Votes: 32 6.7%
  • 2. Hero

Votes: 75 15.7%
  • 3. Muppet

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 4. A very nice chap doing his best for the country

Votes: 232 48.5%

• Total voters
JRM is a politician - politicians chase votes - being ostensibly religious will catch some of the religious vote without having to work too hard or have sensible policies (TCB wrote that book).

Politicians will still get a share of the agnostic/atheist vote based on the agnostic/atheist's political views, however agnostics/atheists are probably more cynical or less gullible than religious types, so the politicians need to work harder to get their votes.

Bluffing religion is an easy win for them.
Those are fair points, but I don’t believe JRM is bluffing it. Having six kids just to further your political career is taking bluffing too far.

Thanks for that Einstein. Off you trot to have a sneer at some "weak minded fules" outside the local church / synagogue / mosque. Careful with that last one mind.

IMHO, assuming levels of intelligence from peoples' religious beliefs is the act of a closed mind, with a soupcon of nasty little bully for flavour.
Who is your invisible friend mysterious sky fairy of choice, dare I ask?

Actually, cancel that.

I'm not interested

My starting point is this:

A Pox Be Upon All Organised Religions.

Those are fair points, but I don’t believe JRM is bluffing it. Having six kids just to further your political career is taking bluffing too far.
In principle, I agree.

In practice, however, I'm guessing the cvnt is soo fvcking loaded be can outsource the parenting to a small army of Mary Poppins, never miss a beat, claim tax relief on the cost, and hire a secretary to remind him of their names, gender and birthdays, if need be.

He is just SUCH a Man Of The Peeple, and An Inspiration To All Of Us ( who didn't emerge from maternity ward with a half kilo of unherited silver dessert cutlery threatening to occlude our airway).

Everyman's natural champion, that's Our Jake, that is.

Last edited:
In principle, I agree.

In practice, however, I'm guessing the cvnt is soo fvcking loaded be can outsource the parenting to a small army of Mary Poppins, never miss a beat, claim tax relief on the cost, and hire a secretary to remind him of their names, gender and birthdays, if need be.

He is just SUCH a Man Of The Peeple, and An Inspiration To All Of Us ( who didn't emerge from maternity ward with a half kilo of unherited silver dessert cutlery threatening to occlude our airway).

Everyman's natural champion, that's Our Jake, that is.
Class envy raises its ugly head, comrade.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Who is your invisible friend mysterious sky fairy of choice, dare I ask?

Actually, cancel that.

I'm not interested

My starting point is this:

A Pox Be Upon All Organised Religions.
I don't particularly believe in a God, but I don't sneer at those who do.

You should try it.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You do a nice line in "holier than thou" :-D

Ironic :thumleft:
Not as good as your "arrogant arrse" line, which is apposite rather than ironic.

I don't particularly believe in a God, but I don't sneer at those who do.

You should try it.
Are you no longer a regular churchgoer then? I know a few quite religious types who aren't even at the level of 'regular churchgoers'.
As a regular churchgoer
Or did you just attend for the music?

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you no longer a regular churchgoer then? I know a few quite religious types who aren't even at the level of 'regular churchgoers'.

Or did you just attend for the music?
Wow. Feeling a teensy bit paranoid now.

I went to church regularly 13 years ago for my wife, it seemed like a good thing to support her in something considering how much she supports me. I stopped going when she stopped wanting to go.

As you can read on the full post you've dug up from 2007 I wasn't a true believer even then.

Last edited:
Wow. Feeling a teensy bit paranoid now.

I went to church regularly 13 years about for my wife, it seemed like a good thing to support her in something considering how much she supports me. I stopped going when she stopped wanting to go.

As you can read on the full post you've dug up from 2007 I wasn't a true believer even then.
I just searched for 'God' and it came up. Thanks for the response.

I just searched for 'God' and it came up. Thanks for the response.
I'm a regular churchgoer. As I routinely remind my ex-Coldstreams vicar.

At 11:00 a.m. on or about 11 November every year, without fail, there I am outside the church of St Peter and St Paul.

On the other hand, if the War Memorial was in the middle of the market square . . . .​

The TARDIS looks like a 1950's police phone box.... which is quaint...., it's doesn't have to be and it could be fixed anytime by the scriptwriters. Rees-Mogg as a timelord,? Over-qualified until the cloaking device went wrong.

I brought it up as it appears that Rees-Mogg had managed to move from 1950 to 2020 without any contact with the intervening years.

Oooh, you've deleted your post I was replying too.... bye.

Last edited:
Strongly agree, but I still believe it's up to an individual exactly what they choose to believe.
Indeed, but I shall go to my grave as I have lived most of my life: appalled and astounded by what the hard of thinking can be persuaded to embrace with violent fervour, and no hint of conscience.

Indeed, but I shall go to my grave as I have lived most of my life: appalled and astounded by what the hard of thinking can be persuaded to embrace with violent fervour, and no hint of conscience.
Having been brought up as a Roman Catholic, I realised at about 13/14 that the Church services on a Sunday just regurgitated the same stuff over and over. I wondered why, if God was real and looked after His own, every week we were expected to hand over money to the Church particularly when some of us didn't have enough to have a half way decent life.

Roman Catholic school was the same in that if you came from the right school (there was favouritism between Catholic schools) and had the right parents then you were favoured or not, obviously being recent incomers we didn't count.

I diverged from religion in my teens whilst still at school being cheesed off constantly being discounted, ignored and treated like sh1te. I joined the army at 17 with a well entrenched chip shop on my shoulder only to encounter the same sort of thing, true believers from the right background with the right parents progressed easily, those without didn't or had to work much harder just to get noticed. Strangely enough I know of only 1 person from my early days that managed a full career and he was our RD Cpl, none of my intake stayed more than the minimum.

Religion and the Army, for me, are very similar and until I finally realised that point and worked out how to get past it in my early 20's I didn't progress, not without problems though even up to the point of my eventual medical discharge some 35 years later.

Catholicism gave me the fundementals of how to live my life, the army gave me that too but also taught me that hard work, integrity, a fighting spirit and self belief eventually gets you through the worst of experiences (and I had plenty).

Your quote above rings exactly true for me too, for both religion and the Army.

Having been brought up as a Roman Catholic, I realised at about 13/14 that the Church services on a Sunday just regurgitated the same stuff over and over. I wondered why, if God was real and looked after His own, every week we were expected to hand over money to the Church particularly when some of us didn't have enough to have a half way decent life.

Roman Catholic school was the same in that if you came from the right school (there was favouritism between Catholic schools) and had the right parents then you were favoured or not, obviously being recent incomers we didn't count.

I diverged from religion in my teens whilst still at school being cheesed off constantly being discounted, ignored and treated like sh1te. I joined the army at 17 with a well entrenched chip shop on my shoulder only to encounter the same sort of thing, true believers from the right background with the right parents progressed easily, those without didn't or had to work much harder just to get noticed. Strangely enough I know of only 1 person from my early days that managed a full career and he was our RD Cpl, none of my intake stayed more than the minimum.

Religion and the Army, for me, are very similar and until I finally realised that point and worked out how to get past it in my early 20's I didn't progress, not without problems though even up to the point of my eventual medical discharge some 35 years later.

Catholicism gave me the fundementals of how to live my life, the army gave me that too but also taught me that hard work, integrity, a fighting spirit and self belief eventually gets you through the worst of experiences (and I had plenty).

Your quote above rings exactly true for me too, for both religion and the Army.
I had a similar upbringing not helped by having different names on my birth certificate.

All groups, whatever their name, are the same. Club within the club, sex and "where's the money gone" are the great constants of life.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no real problem with people having any belief system (including atheism), so long as it does not impinge on my family's freedom or safety. I have the same view of evangelical Christians who must try to convert you, as I have of atheists who go out of their way to sneer at anything other than their set of beliefs. If you're a Catholic or a Protestant, or a Hindu or a Muslim, I don't care, so long as you don't try to affect my life with your chosen faith. As far as I can tell, JRM has never done anything religiously biased which has affected my life . His Catholic faith is his moral bedrock, good luck to him. I admire his honesty and willingness to profess his faith, especially considering the present media atmosphere of antagonistic atheism in this country. Compare and contrast with Tony Blair's weaselling over his religious beliefs whilst in Parliament.

For the record, I'm probably closer to atheism than anything else; the only time I can remember as an adult actually praying was waiting for my infant son to come out of surgery (and to be honest at that point if I'd thought it would have done any good, I'd have covered myself in wode, set light to an upside down cross and sacrificed a goat to the great God Cthulu, so I think it was more desperation than faith). On my son's recovery, I gave CofE the benefit of the doubt for a while, and slowly drifted towards disinterested agnosticism, with occasional bouts of religion based humour. I'm happy to stay that way; to be a full-on evangelical atheist appears to be just as all consuming as being a true believer of any other stripe, and just as constricting.

I see JakIe's sis has been in the papers this week, for bringing her own form of wisdom to bear on one of the burning issues of the day.

Annunziata Rees-Mogg has kindly shared that potatoes are cheaper than oven chips. That’s food poverty sorted then
She should have a slot on ‘Lorraine’, telling the poor why they should grow orange trees instead of ever buying juice
Annunziata Rees-Mogg should have her own advice show on daytime TV, giving tips to the poor on how to survive.​
She has a natural flair for it, as she showed this week, suggesting the poor should make their own chips. “Tesco 1kg potatoes = 83p, 950g own brand chips = £1.35,” she tweeted.​
Her deep interest in fried potatoes will resonate with the poor. “It comes from the heart, she’s clearly one of us,” they’ll say.​
She probably spends whole evenings discussing these issues with brother Jacob. “We simply have to calculate whether they should use disposable nappies,” she’ll remark, “or if it would be more cost-efficient to sell their child to a trafficking gang in Albania. Quick, Jacob, do the sums, they’re depending on us.”​
Read more from Mr Mark Steel:

Latest Threads