Votes: 21 6.7%
  • 2. Hero

Votes: 50 15.9%
  • 3. Muppet

Votes: 89 28.3%
  • 4. A very nice chap doing his best for the country

Votes: 154 49.0%

• Total voters
JRM has thrown his toys out of the pram and is calling for a Vote of No Confidence in TMPM.

Brexit: Rees-Mogg calls for vote of no confidence in May as ministers resign – Politics live

Now I am distinctly under whelmed by JRM and Raab's actions today. They might not completely like the Brexit deal but then there was never going to be a deal that everyone liked.

My personal belief is that JRM is a self-aggrandising nasty little traitor, others may disagree.
Totally agree.

The disingenuous little tosser is moving his business interests to Ireland and trying to force a chaotic brexit in order do some lovely cleaning up on crashing £ and financial instruments.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I note that several of the posters on this thread are motivated by reverse snobbery, indeed chippiness, rather than analysis.

If JRM had wanted to climb the greasy pole he would have become a minister years ago. I think he is, unusually in the HoC snake pit, quite happy as a back bencher. He has forensically pointed out the basic flaws in TM's plan particularly the open-ended commitment to subservience to the EU and the surrender of sovereignty involved in having some third party decide when we can actually leave, with no criteria agreed for the basis of such a decision.

The Brexit vote was very simple - leave or stay. The country voted to leave - none of this bullshit about staying in the customs union or paying the EU
It was very simple - leave or stay. None of this bullshit about the manner in which we left. That was left in the hands of the politicians.

Now you may not like it; I certainly don’t & I don’t know anyone who does - but it remains that the “what” was decided by the public; the “how” is out of our hands.

Last edited:
Just down the road from me is the Toyota factory at Burnaston. Like all other major car manufacturers they use the Just In Time method of manufacture.

One of the major reasons that they chose to build their factory here was East Midlands Airport which, outside of Heathrow, is the largest cargo handling airport in the UK.

Because we are in the customs union a shipment of parts from one of Toyota's European suppliers can arrive at EMA and be on the factory floor within 2 hours.

If there's no customs union the shipment will have to sit and wait its turn for customs clearance with all the other stuff that arrives daily.

What effect do you think that will have on Toyota? Do you think the assembly line folks will sit around playing cards waiting for the parts to clear customs?

Do you think that Toyota will accept a major disruption in their production schedules by shrugging their shoulders?

Or do you think that they'll start to migrate production to France, Portugal and the Czech Republic where they have other factories?
JRM doesn't give a toss about these people, only his hedge fund members.

He has a back-up for the 100k's who's jobs rely on the CU access we enjoy

Totally agree.

The disingenuous little tosser is moving his business interests to Ireland and trying to force a chaotic brexit in order do some lovely cleaning up on crashing £ and financial instruments.
No he isn't
Come on - you bang on about the Brexit lies often enough at least have the sense not to spout Left wing anti Tory wibble that's been jumped on by remain

A Branch was opened in Ireland a process that pre dates Brexit - is nothing to do with Brexit - its a branch office and not a company move etc.

JRM doesn't give a toss about these people, only his hedge fund members.

He has a back-up for the 100k's who's jobs rely on the CU access we enjoy

You get the dumb for that - because when again you step away from the faux outrage LW moon howling and actually look at what he said in context it wasn't an unreasonable position.

You can add to that one of the reasons food bank use increased under the tories is that the nasty vile poor hating scum tory party - decreed that benefits offices could direct people in need to food banks - A policy that caring sharing for the many not the Jew Labour party would not allow.

Funny how facts aren't such clear facts when a bit of back ground context is added

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see baglock is bringing the kind of incisive and pertinent appraisal to this thread, that earned him SPOTY again.

He's one of the few mainstream politicians who's got the balls to appear on HIGNFY.
I'll happily admit I find him pretty entertaining as a TV personality, much like BoJo.

JRM is actually quite funny at times.

There. I said it, for balance

He's one of the few mainstream politicians who's got the balls to appear on HIGNFY.
Hardly a "mainstream" politician and hardly one of the "few". From Ken Livingstone through Vince Cable and John Prescott along to Lembit Opik. Many of them are queuing up to get on.
Even David Blunkett's dog had an episode.

He has principles something lacking in the vast majority of Parliament.
Agreed I dont agree with his stance on Abortion or Gay marriage, However I respect his right to that Opinion

I also respect that unlike many other politicians he is willing to be perfectly up front about this - Even though by being wealthy white male Tory and Christian this puts his head right above the parapet and fair game for all.
Meanwhile Labour is riddled with MPs who also hold unpleasant and unpopular opinions but by dint of Political allegiance and protected religious** status they are left alone.

It just a shame his detractors rather than actually challenging him simply revert to the usual position of if you dont agree with something you are a bigot

- No evidence at all he has ever discriminated against anyone, but as he doesn't hold the approved opinion - his opinion isn't tolerated -

**Ive yet to see an interview where the BBC etc have gone after someone for their "wrong" religious beliefs from a non Christian in the manner they did JRM -

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If there's no customs union the shipment will have to sit and wait its turn for customs clearance with all the other stuff that arrives daily.

What effect do you think that will have on Toyota? Do you think the assembly line folks will sit around playing cards waiting for the parts to clear customs?
Incoming shipments are cleared in six minutes at Southampton.

JRM has thrown his toys out of the pram and is calling for a Vote of No Confidence in TMPM.

Brexit: Rees-Mogg calls for vote of no confidence in May as ministers resign – Politics live

Now I am distinctly under whelmed by JRM and Raab's actions today. They might not completely like the Brexit deal but then there was never going to be a deal that everyone liked.

My personal belief is that JRM is a self-aggrandising nasty little traitor, others may disagree.
I really don't give a hoot what JRM is but if he can help bring down Teresa the traitor he'll get my vote for evermore....

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
A Branch was opened in Ireland a process that pre dates Brexit - is nothing to do with Brexit - its a branch office and not a company move etc.
No it isn't. It's the creation of an Irish-domiciled ICAV that mirrors their existing OEIC.

Your attitude and people with the same attitude is why British Manufacturing is in a devastating decline. Why we as a country are losing skills very fast. Jobs have been taken out of the country and migrants have basically invaded by stealth and undercut our wages for decades now.

That's one of the reasons people voted for Brexit - and that's what your type can't understand. You're type of people only care about profit margins and high bonus payments. Now people are sick of it and voted to do something about it (which boggles your mind). The Richest 1% of people own half the worlds wealth - do you think that's fair?

As said - there are still ways to make profits and their are ways around everything (business know this when it comes to paying their fair share of taxes), if these brains that run companies can find inventive ways to avoid paying tax - I'm sure they can find a way to run a business when we are out of the customs union.
I’ve been in the public sector all my working career but also understand the importance of profit and efficient business methods and models. British manufacturing has never had so much added value as it is today. We have some of the leading technologies and highest levels of investment across Europe and indeed North America.Leaving the European Union is equivalent to unbake a cake - a cake that is taken over 40 years to compile in terms of legislation - primary and secondary regulations, the works. HMG doesn’t even have some of the departments it needs to go it alone. Yes, we will get there but it is going to be an extremely painful and expensive business. But I don’t subscribe to some of the scare tactics that there will not be sharing of information on counterterrorism, organise crime and matters of this nature.

Last edited: