Votes: 91 28.8%
  • 4. A very nice chap doing his best for the country

Votes: 154 48.7%

• Total voters

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’m surprised. They weren’t misquoted.
They may have been taken out of context. If we are being charitable, very charitable.
They said it. It was quoted.
But carry on with the insults, it doesn’t make you any less wrong.
I will add misquoted to the words you don't understand.
"misquote
verb

Quote (a person or a piece of written or spoken text) inaccurately."

They may have been taken out of context. If we are being charitable, very charitable.
So you agree they were taken out of context, then.
Ed for clarification :
Skid2 confirms they were "taken out of context".

Moggers derives sexual gratification from food banks. That's what he said, wasn't it?

He was of course thinking of the queues of miserable looking plebs while he was conceiving Sixtus.
I really should cease thinking you've made the stupidest post ever, when it's rarely more than a day or so before you surpass yourself.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I will add misquoted to the words you don't understand.
"misquote
verb

Quote (a person or a piece of written or spoken text) inaccurately."
Thatcher ‘There is no such thing as society’.
That’s a quote

Rees Mogg ‘To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens is rather uplifting’.
That’s another quote.
Neither is misquoted. What’s more, Rees Mogg is probably the nastier as he knew exactly what he was saying and phrased it as such. That is a nasty, sleekit, deplorable spoilt excuse for a human being.

Thatcher probably reading from Keith Joseph was probably pedalling her inner
Methodological individualism

Thanks for bringing that up. Any doubts that I had that Rees Mogg isn’t a wretched, poisonous piece of work and shouldn’t be trusted with anything more than a tuck box has been thoroughly dispelled.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That’s a quote

Rees Mogg ‘To have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens is rather uplifting’.
That’s another quote.
Neither is misquoted. What’s more, Rees Mogg is probably the nastier as he knew exactly what he was saying and phrased it as such. That is a nasty, sleekit, deplorable spoilt excuse for a human being.

Thanks for bringing that up. Any doubts that I had that Rees Mogg isn’t a wretched, poisonous piece of work and shouldn’t be trusted with anything more than a tuck box has been thoroughly dispelled.
You misquoted Thatcher and Reece Mogg despite being given the dictionary definition of it, you really are a special kind of special.

That’s a quote

That’s another quote.

Its still a misquote - even if the actual wording of the quote is still correct - when the quote is removed from its context or more sinisterly not just removed but inserted into new text in such a matter as to completely change the meaning of the quote.

eg
You will find a thread on here where if you remove all context and selectively choose one sentence ( or rather one half of a sentence) I state all black people are scum* thereby proving me racist - Of course In reality said no such thing

In Moggs case - your quote carefully** omits the preceding "People will always slip through cracks and" bit

Which rather tellingly changes the much misused comment viz Mogg From
us tories are cnuts and its just as well people help the poor then we dont have to - put about by the left and remain
From its intended
People always slip through cracks no matter how good the system - its wonderful that people will help them charitably
Which is an acknowledgement no systems perfect and a nod and compliment to society as a whole and charitable donations.

* On the off chance Ms Moon and co are lurking and to forestall outraged parliamentary questions and phone calls to the COs - It related to Racism = prejudice + Power - To whit If I make said remark in UK im racist but by that definition im not if I say it I Japan Or Nigeria which is crap I would clearly be a racist knob wherever .

**Or rather the quote your using - you may not intentionally have removed the 1st part of the sentence after all.

I take it you missed the word ‘may’
They weren’t misquoted. They said the words.
@Helm has given the definition of 'quotation '; I have given you a practical demonstration of what we mean, using your own words, and still you can't / don't / won't see where your comprehension skills have failed.

That’s a quote

That’s another quote.

At the seemingly great risk of being accused of being as thick as pig sh*t, could you explain why either of the quotes you used indicate that JRM is a wretched, poisonous piece of work?

The quote from Thatcher appears to be a widely held view at the time and the one from JRM seems quite pleasant and praisworthy of voluntary charitable support, unless I'm missing something by reading it through my rose tinted reading glasses of course.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
At the seemingly great risk of being accused of being as thick as pig sh*t, could you explain why either of the quotes you used indicate that JRM is a wretched, poisonous piece of work?

The quote from Thatcher appears to be a widely held view at the time and the one from JRM seems quite pleasant and praisworthy of voluntary charitable support, unless I'm missing something by reading it through my rose tinted reading glasses of course.
The actual quote from blessed St Margaret is
"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."
Which of course is not what the terminally dim misquote (SWIDT) as the whole thing.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I hope you can find a way out of excessive alcohol consumption, and be able to put a sentence together that is intelligible.
I think you mean "able to form an intelligible sentence." Furthermore, no comma is required after 'consumption'.

Or any less of a putrid irritating onanist.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Or any less of a putrid irritating onanist.
@Mothman are/were you a Cadet Instr ?
Being a leader of a youth movement is commendable, despite the innuendo they're subject to in here.
I wondered if you've also served in the regular or reserve parts of HM Forces ?