• 2. Hero

Votes: 50 16.0%
  • 3. Muppet

Votes: 88 28.1%
  • 4. A very nice chap doing his best for the country

Votes: 154 49.2%

• Total voters
That sounds a tad hysterical.

could there be valid reasons for any of those choices?

it smacks of the hoo har around the 'upskirting' law or whatever it was.
Link here.........
If you want to know who Jacob Rees-Mogg really is, take a look at his ...https://www.indy100.com/.../jacob-rees-mogg-abortion-gay-rights-good-morning-brit...

He seems to lack compassion and humanity (although I suppose that is a moveable feast ), but then I would say that wouldn't I?

Because I think he's a cock

I also have Latin 'O' level.

I went to a crappy comprehensive on what is not described as a "sink" estate.

Does that make me special? I think not. BTW I was the only person in my school year to pass Latin.

I find my Masters in Computer Simulation has been far more useful than my Latin ever was other than being able to impress people by knowing what such phrases as "ipso facto". "carpe diem" "quid pro quo" etc actually mean.

Caecilius est in horto Grumio est in culina.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum

The UK as a whole is leaving the European Union.
One would assume that posting gen, (or in this case disinformation,) would cover the whole of the UK unless otherwise caveated.
Your post only covered what you know of your area, while purporting otherwise.
Mine mentioned England because that is where he comes from.
At present I have no information on the other countries.
Whether it is representative of the whole of England I don't know, but next time we meet I'll ask the loc and if it was an anomaly.

It's neither a simple fact nor a complicated one, it's true only for a certain area not the UK as was implied.
The only part of the post in question which is wrong is this:

So most of it.
I chose Latin at the age of 12 in 1973 for a year. The good news was that it made French suddenly seem really easy, the bad news was that it was bloody difficult...

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, and no.
A significant number of people appear to have taken my question as a statement and therefore given me "disagree" or "dislike". That's fine. Opinions are valid, although I felt the "SABC" pixels were a little harsh, but hey, it's just pixels.

I was genuinely interested to canvass opinions. Those who know me will know that I am pretty much apolitical -- I don't like the vast majority of the buggers.

I do, however, have some inside info on JRM. He was at university with one of my friends (someone who I hold in high regard and of high intelligence even though we hold differing political views). JRM was evidently a nasty, snobbish piece of work at university, and my friend (no persec) described to me perfectly how he evades answering almost any question by querying the validity / phrasing / definition of the question before then answering the question that he wants to answer.

Oddly, I agree with some of JRM's principles, having been brought up as a Catholic, but having seen how he operates, I have found myself disliking him increasingly as time has gone on.

I'm not in a position to judge the detail of the Brexit deal at the present time, but I think that TMPM has done some good stuff and some not so good stuff. I would certainly have done it differently, but I'm a stroppy engineer, not a politician, and TMPM is treading a difficult line, on the one hand trying to satisfy the Brexiters and on the other trying not to screw up UK trade with the EU.

As for JRM, I find him to be an odious little sh!t and would not vote for him ... which leaves me with a problem, I can't vote for Corbyn / McDonnell / Starmer as I hated the 1970s, but I am struggling to see a coherent Conservative strategy and leader with vision. [Forget the Lib-Dems as Cable is also a nasty piece of work).

Edited for fat fingers.

I know quite a few Catholics, nationalists, republicans. Old friends mothers who were more than happy to wind the prayer group up in times of need. Very handy and sadly missed.

But English Catholics, they were/are a seriously strange bunch and I’m talking Amplforth types and not off the boat bogtrotters or those from elsewhere

I remember getting hauled in for a beer and a conversation on Robert Nairac. A lot of the early stuff was hobbies intrests family.
‘Was he Catholic’
‘Yes’
‘That explains a lot’.
Don’t get me wrong, perfectly nice, sensible but there was a superciliousness or something about them. A guardedness, (and I know I’m going to get grief for that ‘what all 3 million of them’) it was like there was some evolutionary memory from Elizabethan times.

Dump brexit, exile the ERG. Get rid of McVey and IDS and pull in Heseltine and Clarke to run the show. (except for the jazz)
Back to One Nation Conservativism:)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
When did being a 2lt become the yard stick for being a decent leader?

Some 2lt's grow up to be good leaders, get promoted to captain and then leave because they don't want to do company level jobs or worse, staff jobs. 90% of the best officers I have ever known have left within 4/5 years as captains, those were to guys you want going on to run the army in 20 years but instead we get the dead weight that never stick their heads above the parapet floating to the top. Politicians are the same. The ones that rise to the top are usually those that never do anything even slightly risky.

JRM is risking his entire career for being the face of the no-confidence vote. If she scrapes through this (she probably will) then he is pretty much finished.

Shame really, there are numerous other MP's who have submitted letters but he is the one getting all the attention over it.

If she loses, he wins. If she wins, she will make sure he never gets out of his constituency again.
Good, if he had any balls he’d be leading the charge to get us out. And for that i’d respect him for it, but no all he’s done is sit and snipe, deflect any hard questions with a curled lip and a line of greek or some weird language.

And everyone’s meant to think this is great. That’s our leader.
He’s risking nothing being the face of the no confidence vote. If you believe some of the stuff in here he would have as much to worry about as the queen taking the piss out of Hitler.

This is only the start, nobody’s going to be home by Christmas.
If it all goes wrong he can move the family pile to West Britain so he can be closer to his hedge funds.

He's obviously over the target then.

The left are definitely getting twitchy.
Bullshit.

The left are laughing at the whole shower of shite, and waiting for them to implode.

What the left should be doing is the coup de grace, but parliament, and what passes for the 'left' in it just doesn't work like that.

Meanwhile we watch this prolonged zombie apocalypse like a bad Netflix series that should have been cancelled 3 seasons ago.

i suggest you watch any number of videos on youtube which clearly show that JRM is probably the ONLY MP who does always answer the question fully, honestly and politely - just check out any of his QT appearances - so, in my opinion your mate has a personal issue with JRM and is blacking his name for his own personal reasons
Iirc even snp no mhari black respects him for the way he puts his view across, even if not his actual view.

he also never seems to come across as snobbish. Posh, yes. Snobbish no. That doesn't preclude him from having the ability to eviscerate a fool. (Going back to @Dark_Nit's mate, whom we don't know what he was like in uni either).

He reminds me of a Col (late GH) I once knew. Posh but not snobby. Only used his tank when he needed to, but by f*co did you know it when he did. I personally never felt the wrath. Tended to be limited to staff officers.

I know quite a few Catholics, nationalists, republicans. Old friends mothers who were more than happy to wind the prayer group up in times of need. Very handy and sadly missed.

But English Catholics, they were/are a seriously strange bunch and I’m talking Amplforth types and not off the boat bogtrotters or those from elsewhere

I remember getting hauled in for a beer and a conversation on Robert Nairac. A lot of the early stuff was hobbies intrests family.
‘Was he Catholic’
‘Yes’
‘That explains a lot’.
Don’t get me wrong, perfectly nice, sensible but there was a superciliousness or something about them. A guardedness, (and I know I’m going to get grief for that ‘what all 3 million of them’) it was like there was some evolutionary memory from Elizabethan times.

Dump brexit, exile the ERG. Get rid of McVey and IDS and pull in Heseltine and Clarke to run the show. (except for the jazz)
Interesting post but (fwiw) you lost me in the last para - kick out today's disloyal types and replace them with those who were disloyal 40 years ago? Progress?!

pull in Heseltine and Clarke to run the show. (except for the jazz)
One Nation Conservatism is far too left wing for the PCP troughing bastards. I wish the Tories would go back to it, because then I could forget about politics and know that voting changed nothing but the pace of change. And I wouldn't class Heseltine and Clark as One Nation Conservatives. Thatcherites, Yes. One Nation Conservatives, Absolutely Not.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting post but (fwiw) you lost me in the last para - kick out today's disloyal types and replace them with those who were disloyal 40 years ago? Progress?!
Different times. And Heseltine wasn’t disloyal. He disagreed with Thatcher. There’s a differece as did Clarke.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
One Nation Conservatism is far too left wing for the PCP troughing bastards. I wish the Tories would go back to it, because then I could forget about politics and know that voting changed nothing but the pace of change. And I wouldn't class Heseltine and Clark as One Nation Conservatives. Thatcherites, Yes. One Nation Conservatives, Absolutely Not.
Excellent, bring on the One Nation Conservatives. Pick whoever you like. It was Heseltine who was sent up to Liverpool after the riots, anyone else would have been lynched.

Link here.........
If you want to know who Jacob Rees-Mogg really is, take a look at his ...https://www.indy100.com/.../jacob-rees-mogg-abortion-gay-rights-good-morning-brit...

He seems to lack compassion and humanity (although I suppose that is a moveable feast ), but then I would say that wouldn't I?

Because I think he's a cock
To take one example, quoted twice in some bizarre mis linking error, the 0.7% to foreign aid. Was that because he doesn't like foreign aid or because the 0.7% target encourages profligate waste of tax payers' money.