Redundancy looming

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Lee_B, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Apologies if a similar question has been asked at all. I very recently joined the TA and I am already loving every minute of it, my place of work has been struggling of late and it is looking increasingly likely that I may very soon find myself being made redundant, I am 28 yrs old and married and I'm thinking fcuk it if it happens should I join the Regs now they have upped the age limit? My question is as I have only just started training with the TA what would their attitude be to it? and is the recruitment route the same as any other Joe off the street i.e. down the AFCO interview, medical, BARB etc?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Your route into the Regular Army would be the same as anyone who walks in off the street.
    The TA attitude should be one of encouragement and they should help you in any way - in this day of One Army Recruiting.
    You will obviously have to inform the AFCO / ACIO of your TA status then they can liaise between each other.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to follow.
  3. For what my opinions worth I say go for it. Your TA unit should give you every encouragement.

Good Luck.
  4. It's your life mate and you've got a family to support. You absolutely MUST look after them and your home as priority. If the reg's will pay the bills and put food on the table then thats what you have to do.

Although a civvy job plus the TA will more than likely result in more cash money, especially compared to a sprogs pay cheque. Think about it carefully mate and dont be rushing off into anything. The regulars is not your only single option unless you want to do it, in which case do it. The TA wont say anything, but I'd strongly advise talking to somebody first, like your Plt Sgt and explaining things.
  5. Do it mate. If the TA has given you a taste for it, crack on and do it full time. Pick your badge carefully mind. The upper age limit has indeed been raised and I suspect that in the years to come (certainly before you hit Sgt) the 22 yr thing will also go, so you'll have a steady job and a reliable wage for some time yet. You'll have a reasonable wage, some place to live (rent yours out if you own your own gaff at the minute, the added income is nice). If you get a crack at Germany (it may well be short lived but it's still very much possible right now), then decent tax free car, schooling for the kids is pretty good, good social lie and the chance to get around Europe quite cheaply.

Stick with the TA as long as you can, so that you can keep training regularly and up your fitness, and also to get a good idea of what it's all about and what's available.....and as a'll still have your redundancy package in the bank (unless your missus has other ideas).

Best of luck.
  6. Lee_B

Joining the Regular Army for you is definitely an option you could consider. Once through training, you will qualify for a Married Quarter for your wife and kids. You would also have four years of financial security, although your salary would be initially low for the first few years, and tours will be a fact of life.

Many years ago I knew a TA Cpl who did exactly what you are considering when he was 27. He was married with two kids but his job folded so he joined a a regular recruit. I don't know what became of him but he was switched on so undoubtedly prospered. At the time we all thought that he was a bit old. Given the goalposts have now moved you will not be as out of place with your age.

My advice to you would be to hedge your bets and start applying now, in case your civvy job goes tits-up. Until you take the Queen's Shilling you can step away at any point. However, you should think very carefully when choosing your trade and cap-badge.

Good luck.