Redundancy Blues ...

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I, along with the rest of the team I am in get made redundant in 17 days time. Most of us have worked for the company for 12 years plus and we are all looking forward to a nice pay packet at the end of it. Just 2 of us have work lined up already. One for a short term contract, the other (me) was told to re-role as they don't want to lose me.

So I am receiving redundancy from one role while simultaneously moving into another. The advantage of being a contractor.

Last edited:
I, along with the rest of the team I am in get made redundant in 17 days time. Most of us have worked for the company for 12 years plus and we are all looking forward to a nice pay packet at the end of it. Just 2 of us have work lined up already. One for a short term contract, the other (me) was told to re-roll as they don't want to lose me.

So I am receiving redundancy from one roll while simultaneously moving into another. The advantage of being a contractor.
Why would they make a contractor redundant and not simply not renew your contract?
In my line (or before I recently retired) we used to regularly get rid of contractors, usually they would clear their desks the next day.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why would they make a contractor redundant and not simply not renew your contract?
In my line (or before I recently retired) we used to regularly get rid of contractors, usually they would clear their desks the next day.
The role we currently do is being replaced by a computer. There are no other roles like it anywhere so the company has no choice but to make us redundant. The company we are contracted too, are just not renewing the contract, which means the company we work for has to make us redundant.

Last edited:

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Well that's it, I'm now unemployed.

In the past where a long term employee leaves there was a whip-round, a card signed by all, speech recanting past deeds and funny moments, a presentation of some suitable gift purchased with the proceeds, if you like fishing a new reel etc. Apart from shooting I happen to like watches. You get the idea.

I wasn't the only one being made redundant that day, both of us got this so it wasn't just me. Moral is now so low now that non of the mangers bothered to be there, a card signed by just my immediate team (only got that because a friend botherd), no whip-round, no presentation or speech, no gift feck all. I was given the card by a junior manager rather apologetically with a mumbled 'this has been handled poorly'. Everyone there said it was piss poor and they were all disgusted. If I was not liked I could see that of course but that was not the case, I know I was well liked and respected. I just left my keycard and walked out the door alone. Half angry half in tears and I'm a strong chap so it takes a lot to do that to me!

So that's what I'm worth after 25 years service?

Screw 'em!
On my last day following redundancy, I drove out of the car park with the radio playing Michael Jackson singing "They Don't Really Care About Us". Thought it was highly appropriate. I didn't even get a goodbye, or a card, after 12 years service. Several others were in the same situation, so I knew I wasn't alone!!

ugly

LE
I tend to walk away from jobs I don't like unless they are paying stupid rates and then I will ensure I don't get renewed so her indoors cant moan about me being fickle. None of the firms care, one I left because I was terrified of being labelled a crook (serious corruption taking place) and when I left because I hadn't turned whistleblower I was given a paltry leaving interview where I explained about the corruption and how I wasn't going to be tainted. Loads of promises about changing it but nothing happened and I moved away glad to be out of the whole mess. Funnily enough the bloke that replaced me has moved on and offered me some work. Integrity pays!

How do they work out tax with regards to rendundancy payments? Is it worth doing a tax return to see if I've overpayed (I assume my payment in leau of notice is taxed at upper rate)?

ugly

LE
On leaving my last staff post I found out by chance that they had overtaxed me in excess of £11k. A tidy rebate indeed for 11 months work.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
One sage piece of advice from a friend who got hit n one of the mobs tranches, was that no matter what, don't ever think a shelf stacker will be easy beer tokens to tide you over as you pursue your own dreams.

Apparently nothing compares to the toxicity and soul draining environment of a super market where the staff are in the main, ******* hobos (His words!).

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
This isn't the redundancy payment itself. The pay in lieu of notice is a separate payment and for myself was about 7wks plus the days I'd worked in my final month. This is subject to tax and NI.
This was just a response to your first question :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

One sage piece of advice from a friend who got hit n one of the mobs tranches, was that no matter what, don't ever think a shelf stacker will be easy beer tokens to tide you over as you pursue your own dreams.

Apparently nothing compares to the toxicity and soul draining environment of a super market where the staff are in the main, ******* hobos (His words!).
15 or so years ago, a company that I worked for had a sudden need of extra hands.
We found one or two quite bright kids who had been stacking, while looking for something better. Once their mates heard about us the supermarket had empty shelves.
They all said that they would rather beg than go back to it.