Redundancy Blues ...

Well it has finally happened. After months if not years of speculation my "role is being made redundant". After 25 years in the job I'm being replaced by a bloody computer program. Good luck with that one I say as they have not even written the program let alone tested it yet!

Looks like I shall finally have to expand my other business interests and work full time for myself. Looking at it as an opportunity of course rather than a set back, so all good there. However, it has really upset me (there, there) and I'm feeling a little lost and worried. Toying with the idea of just getting another job and taking the money with someone else, safe and easy.

Anyone gone through the same situation and any advice please, steady now!

Cheers.

ugly

LE
Many times although it wasn't being replaced just they'd lost the contract or needed to reduce head count only to see them recruit to fill the role within months.
There is always something out there!

Well it has finally happened. After months if not years of speculation my "role is being made redundant". After 25 years in the job I'm being replaced by a bloody computer program. Good luck with that one I say as they have not even written the program let alone tested it yet!

Looks like I shall finally have to expand my other business interests and work full time for myself. Looking at it as an opportunity of course rather than a set back, so all good there. However, it has really upset me (there, there) and I'm feeling a little lost and worried. Toying with the idea of just getting another job and taking the money with someone else, safe and easy.

Cheers.

Check, check and check again, your Redundancy package - never trust HR or the bean counters of payroll.

There's info on google.

Good luck and don't worry.

Don’t underestimate the change you go through leaving steady paid employment in a familiar environment, and then doing your own thing where if you don’t find the work there’s no income and no one to turn to.

I enjoy it now but it took a couple of years to find enough work to keep me happy. That isn’t a lot - 3 days a week tops - but I’m happy with it and it gives me time to do other stuff. Until I got to that point I found it was demoralising to wake up knowing there was absolutely nothing I had to do that day. I didn’t find the other stuff that keeps me happy now, till later.

I knew I’d cracked it when I did some contract work for a big company last year. It was the familiar old institutional environment, and I hated every minute of it - couldn’t wait to get back to my normal routine of doing one thing today, something else tomorrow, then a couple of days off and start again. I don’t do anything like that contract work now, and I won’t in future.

So whatever you do, good luck, but just remember it’ll take a while to get used to a very different world.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Cheers.
Same thing is going to happen to me and a colleague, lot of dirty fighting going on at present but that is the way it will end.

ugly

LE
Same thing is going to happen to me and a colleague, lot of dirty fighting going on at present but that is the way it will end.
Have you stashed away enough Meth and scrips to keep you in Filpinos?

Get a shit hot accountant.

Register as a sole trader in something or other - leadership consultant. Do it right away so you can file a self assessment tax return in Jan

Think of everything that you have done and purchased since last April and ensure that gets included in your costs.

You will of course post a healthy first year loss. You can claim back tax paid in the last 5 (or it might be 3) years. The rebate will arrive in you account a few days after you file your return.

Give yourself a pat on the back for being smug then get out there and knock em dead.

Last edited:

Cheers.
Pretty harsh time of year, happened to me 9 days before xmas, not that for some its ever good reguardless of time. Hopefully you have enough to get you through December and beyond giving you time to reflect and decide.

One thing I learnt dont panic and leap at the first job offer coming your way, its not always the best thats out there.

Oh and take heart, to replace me they hired 2 men to do the job of one on more money than they paid me 6 months later.

Don't panic, although easier said than done when staring into an uncertain future.

Just start priming contacts, linkedIn, job search etc. and even if you just pick up a short term contract gives you thinking space for planning your own future activities

Devote 95% of your remaining working time at this. The remainder at screwing as much out of them as you can.

It might depend on your motivations. I see redundancy looming large for me too, only the company is trying to call it by another name. I am now at that point in life when I was thinking of winding down into full retirement, maybe in a year or two. I hate the BS and bureaucracy of the corporate world and I don't really want to carry that on elsewhere.

I am beginning to think some mundane job to keep me going until my company pensions kick in might be the way out.

I recently started to get my preserved pension and now get some useful freebies too. I have no debts or commitments, all of which adds to my thinking on dropping out of the rat race. Marker at Bisley might be my calling, after many years I will be out of the prison known as the office, working in the countryside, fresh air and open skies, as much as the butts at Bisley offers those things anyway :)

It might depend on your motivations. I see redundancy looming large for me too, only the company is trying to call it by another name. I am now at that point in life when I was thinking of winding down into full retirement, maybe in a year or two. I hate the BS and bureaucracy of the corporate world and I don't really want to carry that on elsewhere.

I am beginning to think some mundane job to keep me going until my company pensions kick in might be the way out.

I recently started to get my preserved pension and now get some useful freebies too. I have no debts or commitments, all of which adds to my thinking on dropping out of the rat race. Marker at Bisley might be my calling, after many years I will be out of the prison known as the office, working in the countryside, fresh air and open skies, as much as the butts at Bisley offers those things anyway :)
Self employed Butt Consultant. Ascribe all your reasonable expenditure to your new venture.

Get tax rebate.

Buy me beer.

Cheers.
I'd take another job even if it's only for a few months. Going self employed is great, but it's one of those things best done when you're fired up and prepared for it. There's a lot of groundwork you can do while working for someone else.

I got made redundant about 3 years ago, at the age of 59. It did hit me bit hard, but now I think it was just what I needed. I didn't get a job straight away, but waited to get one which would give me a better life, nearer to home. Its less pay but I have got my life back instead of driving thousands of miles and being on call all hours. it can be a shock, especially if you have been working for 43 years. The first thing I did was go on holiday !!

The company gave me the legal minimum. I think I received more for the 3 months in lieu of salary, than I did for redundancy.

Also make sure they give you the 3 months notice tax free - this is a perfectly legal option, and makes a difference.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
At least the money should be a cushion. If there are other jobs out there take a look and take your time. 25 years you’ll be fairly well institutionalised at it. It may be wise to go elsewhere for another job, see what it’s like, a sort of decompression before you go out on your own.

You might be surprised especially if it’s a smaller outfit. While still looking around you.

Then when you’re ready start another thread on redundancy horror stories.
Good luck.

I was canned with no warning in April.

It was the best thing that could have happened. Granted, it didn't feel like it at the time but once the initial surprise wore off I immediately lawyered up, got very stabby in the redundancy negotiation and got what I wanted. They were in a hurry and stupid and paid for it.

I'm now several months into training for my vocation and close to realising a lifelong dream that I might not have pursued while I was enmeshed in the corporate web. A web that drains you of life even as it supposedly supports you. There are days when I question the wisdom of my choices and fret about the lack of a safety net for the family but that net looks more and more like a web the further out I get.

Oh and even if you get a job working for someone else ensure you retain your "sole trader" status and file a tax return accordingly. After 34 years in uniform subsidising HMG by way of both PAYE and all those things you did (and paid for) but got no financial help with it is astonishing what a difference it can make.