Redundancies in the Regular Army - full manning looms

Good news for the TA - go on Ops with half the training at a quarter of the cost.

VFM!

and there's no contract so no brown letter.

:p

Is this going to impact the TA?

msr said:
yes; a very sudden influx of ex regs

msr said:
red_square said:
msr said:
Not if discharged as SNLR...
That could end up very painful for MoD. SNLR normally has been used to bin people the army want shot of because they are not capable of doing their job. If MoD believes that they can bin 300-500 people without bining someone who is perfectly capable of doing their job at their rank and NOT get f*ked in Court, then they are dreaming, or smoking dope.

Its an interesting 'take' on the state of the finances though if they can't even overbear by 500 personnel....

3_Peco_Seconds_GO said:
msr said:
red_square said:
msr said:
Not if discharged as SNLR...
Does brown letter always mean SLNR?
No, the discharge papers will be phrased in the same way as they were during the last round of cuts. IIRC they made no reference to QRs 9.4xxx and just noted that the soldier/officer was discharged under the Options for Change redundancy programme.

Litotes

red_square said:
msr said:
I can't see any decent soldier wanting to join the part time arm of the organisation that just kicked him in the teeth and got shut of him before they have to pay him off (resettlement grant/pension/med payout).

Would you honestly want to go back to a civilian company that's effectively sacked you because they've got too many staff and can't manage their staffing levels without using a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

F

fozzy

MrTracey said:
Good news for the TA - go on Ops with half the training at a quarter of the cost.

VFM!

and there's no contract so no brown letter.

:p
Doomed! Doomed!!!!!

Travis_Bickle said:
red_square said:
msr said:
I can't see any decent soldier wanting to join the part time arm of the organisation that just kicked him in the teeth and got shut of him before they have to pay him off (resettlement grant/pension/med payout).

Would you honestly want to go back to a civilian company that's effectively sacked you because they've got too many staff and can't manage their staffing levels without using a sledgehammer to crack a nut?
I know is sounds bizzare when you put it that way, but I can remember a significant number of 'redundant' Majors who turned up in the TA in the Balkans in the mid '90s often on back to back tours (or even running the mob process). Mostly it seemed because that had found it impossible to get a job that suited their 'self perception' in civvy street or in some cases any job at all.

Travis_Bickle said:
More likely is that COs will use the opportunity to bin any remaining fat knackers from the dug-away jobs in the stores, MT etc. An influx of fit 19 year olds will allow more mobility at the next level up.

saladin said:
Travis_Bickle said:
More likely is that COs will use the opportunity to bin any remaining fat knackers from the dug-away jobs in the stores, MT etc. An influx of fit 19 year olds will allow more mobility at the next level up.
There are already mechanisms in place to allow commanders to get rid of dead wood. The lazy and workshy can be managed out of the army using AGAI67 rules. The skivers in question are given the option to buck their ideas up or walk out the gate with a P45.

It was done at my old place at the back end of last year.

This just sounds like another MoD exercise in culling the careers of individuals that could cost them money in the long term.

It will be interesting to see how it will be achieved. IIRC, employment law states that an employer must make every possible effort to offer an employee alternative employment in the organisation that is equivalent to their current job before laying people off. If the individual then chooses not to take up that offer of alternative employment then they are shown the door because they are effectively refusing to work.

True enough, but the whole AGAI route takes forever and you need to actually put all the bits in place - the remedial trg etc, al documented. MCP is a lot simpler I believe ?

R

really?_fascinating

Hmmm. Money, money, money.

Lets say, average bloke @£50k per year cost.

300 -500 of them got rid of? Let's split the difference, call it 400 regular soldiers gone.

So, that saves us £20m.

Now, where can that £20m hole have come from?

Anyone?

Sure there is no relation to having to undo £20m of TA cuts with this new round of regular 'efficiencies' caused by short term financial pressures. I have no doubt the Army could have done it another way, perhaps stopping all first class travel , cutting back on improvements to infrastructure, delaying moves of a formation from Ge, stopping BATUS firing. Oh, hang on, done all that. Surely that little £20m of TA cuts culd not have resulted in this? Surely?