Reducing BPFA times

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cdn_spr, Apr 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any PTI's out there who can give me some advice?

On a JNCO cadre in a month, want to drop my BPFA timing as much as possible without risking injury. What's the best way? My distance stamina is ok, I don't struggle with 8-10 milers, but being a big lad (not fat, just 6'2" and about 14st) I'm obviously no racing snake at the best of times.

I've been told in the past that one way is hill reps. Alas, being in the middle of cambridgeshire there are no hills to speak of, so was thinking of interval training, ie 200m sprints, 100m rest and so on ad nauseam until properly f***ed, then long cool down and plenty of stretches.

Any other advice, techniques, routines I could try to get the most speed out of this carcass as possible?

Thanx in advance.

2. cdn spr,

Being a lad of size myself, 6'2 195 pounds, I know how difuculy it is too get those times down, do exactly what you are thinking. Sprints for 2min then walk 3-4 then proceed. It wil shed the wieght, and build up the quickness, I was doing this back home training for other sports such as Mauy Thai etc, to last longer in rounds. Drive yourself to throwing up, sounds horible but it works.

Cheers 2CB

3. The best way to improve on your BPFA time is to run faster than you would normally. Hope this helps.

4. :D What he said!

5. well it's pretty straightforward. The best preparation for press-ups is to do press-ups (work your way up from 20 to 30 to 40 to 50). The best form of trg for sit-ups is sit-ups (same as before - work your way up) and the best way to prepare for a 1.5 mile run is to start running 1.5 miles. Perhaps start off with a mile then rapidly get up to 1.5. Then aim to get a wee bit faster each time. Improved diet and plenty of water will help too. You could also practice laps on a running track. You need to aim to achieve each 400m lap in 1 min 45 secs to achieve a 10.5 mins round-trip. So you could maybe start doing 2 x laps in 1:45 each, then the next day try to get 4 in a row, then eventually up to 6. Bob's yer uncle.

6. SPEED WORK MAN!!! It hurts but it works (cheesy cliche). The chap above had some good ideas. If you don't have access to a running track use lamp posts in the street and do some good old fartlek training. Sprit one one/jog one, sprint two/jog two etc.

7. Run a lampie, walk a lampie as its called up north :D

8. Its all about stride length mate. Try just opening you legs a bit further than you usually do.(even more than on saturday night - better make that shit joke before someone else does)