Reds maybe for the chop

Apologies if I'm repeating here but can't find anything in current affairs or the int cell let alone the RAF - the bloody tabloids said yesterday about Scamptons finest being in Cameron's sights for the chop. Yep I know there's been a cloud hanging over the Reds since the SDR.

I know the Blue Eagles got binned a few years back, the salty rum guzzling matelots Black Cats still going thank heaven :)

Hopefully it be another veiled threat :) and the Mirror Mirror see no evil have got it wrong

Cheers :)

B

Biscuits_AB

Be a shame if they did go, but if there has to be cuts made then better to cut the non-ops cadre first if we can't afford them.

C

cloudbuster

Surely someone, somewhere will be able to massage the figures to demonstrate that the Freds are operated at no cost to the taxpayer.

Again.

Signallers

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
it's typical of him to do it in the current economic situation!

The Reds have been an LTC chop-item since around 1990. And are still here.

i know they're good, and great PR, but these days I do question their continued existence. For all the costs [personnel, hardware and support] I'm sadly coming to the view that they are a rather expensive luxury.

Taxi ...

cant they just give them radio controlled planes & make the displays smaller & save on money?
You could be onto something here. How about a squadron of red UAVs, whirling, swirling and going up diddly up up? Think of the G's they could pull and, if it all went Pete Tong, none of the pilots would be killed, thereby saving weeks of Daily Mail editorials and personal insight articles. In the winter they could send the aircraft and groundcrew to Cyprus for training, while the growbags stayed in Scampton to save some money.

Is this a good idea; do you think it will fly?

You could be onto something here. How about a squadron of red UAVs, whirling, swirling and going up diddly up up? Think of the G's they could pull and, if it all went Pete Tong, none of the pilots would be killed, thereby saving weeks of Daily Mail editorials and personal insight articles. In the winter they could send the aircraft and groundcrew to Cyprus for training, while the growbags stayed in Scampton to save some money.

Is this a good idea; do you think it will fly?
I won't be stood under them. You can knock yourself out though.

The Reds have been an LTC chop-item since around 1990. And are still here.

i know they're good, and great PR, but these days I do question their continued existence. For all the costs [personnel, hardware and support] I'm sadly coming to the view that they are a rather expensive luxury.

Taxi ...
If they do go, would the BBMF be next for the chop.
RAF BBMF - History

Why not sew wings on the pretty red tunics of the guards division stagging on at the gaffers house at buck palace.

On the hour every hour have them perform moves in front of the crowds even letting off smoke grenades down their trouser leg as they perform a diamond nine march past in slow and in quick time.

I'd particularly like to see the starburst, seeing blokes **** off in every direction, coming together to come in for a refuel at the cookhouse door.

Same strategy for the BBMF, just not as quick or noisy, maybe guardsmen from yesteryear width merlinesque stomach rumblings, wind and the odd limp and misfire but with loveable cheeky faces that make you all gooey when they march past to the dam busters theme.

Um, history repeating? Standard headline-grabbers when defence cuts are in the offing are that the Red Arrows could be disbanded and the SAS or Paras are under threat.

The Navy's just in the unfortunate position of having no bloody navy left to cut and having been promised that it's definitely going to get a carrier/carriers and it'll definitely, definitely, definitely get the F-35B to fly off it/them...