Reds maybe for the chop

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Raven2008, Feb 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if I'm repeating here but can't find anything in current affairs or the int cell let alone the RAF - the bloody tabloids said yesterday about Scamptons finest being in Cameron's sights for the chop. Yep I know there's been a cloud hanging over the Reds since the SDR.

I know the Blue Eagles got binned a few years back, the salty rum guzzling matelots Black Cats still going thank heaven :)

Hopefully it be another veiled threat :) and the Mirror Mirror see no evil have got it wrong

Cheers :)
  2. I'm not sure we can afford twelve or so Hawk and FCR pilots for a BaE ego trip. Shame, but there it is.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Will the White Helmets be getting Scampton, then?
  4. I'd call bollocks.
  5. cant they just give them radio controlled planes & make the displays smaller & save on money?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Be a shame if they did go, but if there has to be cuts made then better to cut the non-ops cadre first if we can't afford them.
  7. Or they could cut the operations that we don't need. How about that for defence cuts.
  8. Surely someone, somewhere will be able to massage the figures to demonstrate that the Freds are operated at no cost to the taxpayer.

9. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

it's typical of him to do it in the current economic situation!
  10. Don't let the truth get in the way of a headline. Read my link above.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The Reds have been an LTC chop-item since around 1990. And are still here.

i know they're good, and great PR, but these days I do question their continued existence. For all the costs [personnel, hardware and support] I'm sadly coming to the view that they are a rather expensive luxury.

Taxi ...
  12. You could be onto something here. How about a squadron of red UAVs, whirling, swirling and going up diddly up up? Think of the G's they could pull and, if it all went Pete Tong, none of the pilots would be killed, thereby saving weeks of Daily Mail editorials and personal insight articles. In the winter they could send the aircraft and groundcrew to Cyprus for training, while the growbags stayed in Scampton to save some money.

Is this a good idea; do you think it will fly?
  13. I won't be stood under them. You can knock yourself out though.
  14. Spoken like a true coward.
    • Like Like x 5