Redress of Grievance

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by BFPO, Nov 23, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Redress of Grievance

Just been reading the “Promotion right or reward” thread and the topic of Redress has cropped up. How many have put in a redress and successfully won? How many redressed a grievance and came a cropper?

I redressed a decision my Company Commander made referring to a claim he was not going to sign that would leave me out of pocket. I had to run the gauntlet of the CSM and RSM, they did all but threaten to turn down my posting to Junior Div! If it was not for the QM intervening I recon I would have bottled it! Taking the easy option.

Any experiences out there?

2. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

There was a very similar thread that is in the RHQ forum. I'll move this thread there as it is more appropriate.

3. About 60% that reach Glasgow are successful - the majority of the causes of failure are a misunderstanding of the rules, failing to submit in time etc. In general terms the higher it goes - wherever the individual has been wronged - the greater chance of the redress being given sometime with monetry benefit if applicable.

The overwhelming majority get solved at unit level and that of course is the aim. An individual gets satisfaction as quickly as possible.

4. A colleague of mine had the misfortune to try for redress.

Although he had been blatantly f*cked over, because the offender was a pot tiffy, and he way down in the feeding chain, the result was he got an even blacker mark against his name and his claim never made it out of the regiment.

Maybe some sort of external agency ie "internal affairs" type would be better for dealing with redress issues? Having to fight an obviously biased chain of command is normally not worth the hassle: result = guys get shafted just because a total c*ck outranks them.

You cant even do the old fashioned method of just knocking them out on th next piss-up any more either.

5. I dont think redress works. Was talking to some guys at ITC Litchfield and they was talking about a pal whos redress has been going on for over 3 years, seems abit long that :roll: I can hear them at Glasgow now.

"JUST DRAG IT OUT AND HE WILL FOLD"

6. I have a redress in at present and it has been going for two years plus. Only last week I was informed that it has now been passed to two members of the Army Board. Now what they do - I have no idea - but at least it has now reached them.

These things do take time and each one is different with different complexities involved. Anyone who has a redress running can ask OSC (A) at Glasgow for an update as to where their case is at present. You can also add to it and cancel it at any time.

The previous post about sorting the issue out at unit level is correct but what usually goes wrong is that soldiers do not know the "three month rule" - you only have three months to lodge a redress from the date you become aware of the wrong. This time limit is usually the MoD's first line of defence.

7. 76
    Mr Paul Keetch (Hereford): To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the procedures are for (a) officers and (b) other ranks in the Army to appeal against army redress decisions; and if he will make a statement.
    (145730)

Who can answer this before HOON????? :?:

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Even when Hoon does reply, how would we know if he's telling the truth?

9. You'll have to wait another 3 years to find out.

10. He never does.

And he wears a wig.....

11. well i have had a redree in for 4 years now have just won it went all the way up to Geoff Hoon, as i involved my local MP, who asked what was going on in PM's questions. they have agreed i was shafted big time, just arguing about how much cash will compensate. your right about bottling it had so many people threaten me it was unbelievable.

keep going if you have a fair point it will be dealt with eventually

12. Hoon, you sure he was not telling you a pokey pie 8O

13. Correct and I am sure you agree that to go beyond this date would not make sense as memories get blurry.

Excellent news and glad that it was sorted for you. The redress system is not perfect but is getting quicker and better as time goes on. At least we have a redress system now - years ago there was nothing at all. The bottom line though is that it always a shame that a redress is required - as all sides suffer.

14. The other poster said it took him over 4 years. would that lengh of time investigating a redress, have implications with blurry memories :?:

15. Is this what you was looking for?

Mr. Keetch: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what the procedures are for (a) officers and (b) other ranks in the Army to appeal against army redress decisions; and if he will make a statement. [145730]

Mr. Caplin: The procedures governing appeals against army redress decisions are contained within section 180 of the Army Act 1955, Chapter 5 of Queen's Regulations and Army General and Administrative Instructions, Volume 2, Chapter 70. Officers and other ranks who make a complaint and who do not obtain the redress to which they think they are entitled, may submit their complaint to the Defence Council (the Army Board acting as the Defence Council). The procedures require the complaint to proceed through a series of levels in the chain of command, any of which may resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the complainant, before it is considered by the Defence Council. If officers do not obtain from the Defence Council the redress they seek, they have the further opportunity to require the Defence Council to make a report on the complaint to Her Majesty and she has the power to look into the case further, acting on the advice of my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Defence.