Redonda (in the Caribbean) - an initial expression of interest in a Project? Free accommodation

Because its legally part of Antigue and Barbuda there are no gun laws, let me explain that to you. You cant have a firearm of any type. The govt doesn't issue licenses and foreign yachts visiting have to surrender any arms onboard for collection on leaving!
Why and how? Mrs Ugs grew up there, I looked at moving there and setting up a range, sadly the only facility was a long defunct clay pigeon club. The locals are noise and risk averse.
I decided to give the place a swerve.

The Govt might say it issues firearms permits. I couldn't find any record of any holders or any issued!
There used to be a few Caribbean competitors at Bisley. I think all of their guns were stored in Jamaica.

Guns in Antigua & Barbuda — Firearms, gun law and gun control
There is an active civvie gun club at Crabbs peninsula... even have club owned 7.62s etc...some take part in international competitions :) :)
You can shoot clays at Reservoir Range etc...but that's more of a tourist thing.
Yes, the government does issue gun permits etc

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Regrettably there's a high incidence of ciguarotoxity in the fish around the island :) !

Christ on an actual bike...Redonda sounds like a real paradise island. Anyone read 'Brown on Resolution' ?

Ciguatera Fish Poisoning: Treatment, Prevention and Management

Ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP) is a foodborne illness affecting humans worldwide. Humans acquire this illness by eating reef fish containing the naturally occurring toxins, ciguatoxins. Multiple ciguatoxins have been identified, but in this paper ciguatoxins will be referred to collectively as “CTX.” CTX is derived from benthic dinoflagellates of the genus Gambierdiscus, growing predominantly in association with macroalgae in coral reefs in tropical and subtropical climates. The toxin is transferred through the food web as the algae is consumed by herbivorous fish, which are consumed by carnivorous fish, which are in turn consumed by humans [15]. This review article describes the human health aspects of CFP, as well as prevention and treatment. It also provides information about public health management of CFP particularly within the United States of America.

' Did he have the fish ?'
'yes'
'ah........'

Last edited:
I wondered why "rock climbers" were needed until i looked at the map. It seems that the only way up and down would be on ropes. Somebody will need to haul everything up and it will take more equipment than i'd be able to fly out with to set that rigging up.

Can you imagine an "Arrse" work crew on a deserted rock in the middle of nowhere? Do you think we would get anything done?. It would be a nonstop argument about brexit and breaking up of sporadic fist fights all day.

No pay, no fresh water, nothing alive on the island at all except (I assume) fish, Equatorial sun beating down (and up off the rock), where do we sign up?
Well..it beats 2 REP :) :)

Might be helpful if you outlined the skill's you are looking for to help you rebuild Moonbase Alpha.

And give pre-emptive answers to:

1. How long you would like people to be there: minimum and maximum,
2. Will they be fed and watered free of charge,
3. Will they have to self fund travel to and from, or is it paid for,
4. Will tentage, dossbag's and cooking equipment be supplied, or have to be self organised,
5. Has a survey been done (by a competent person) to: a. determine works required, b. to make sure the materials for works are on site, c. the equipement to carry out the work is on site.
6. When.
7. Seeing as it appears to be a water based project will there be dive gear available.
8. Will generators be on site for power, or are you looking at solar and what voltage level are you looking to have.

To put it in perspective: There is no point roofers, plumbers and electricians turning up before the brickies, or chippy's. And, there is no point anyone turning up until the raw materials are on site. Pragmatic yes, magician no.

PS I'm a plumber, can do some timber framing, plasterboarding, electrics and dodgy brick laying.
Very early feasibility days at the moment...very much rebuilding a bothy than something suitable for aircrew! Just identifying if anyone on the site would have even a modicum of interest. No point in formulating an SR if there is no interest whatsoever here. Power would solely be by a genny, brought along with fuel at each visit by occupiers....so no plastering, mains wiring etc....very much field skills, improvisation and ingenuity...if you're lucky, sometimes one can get a mobile signal from Monserrat/ Nevis......maybe think of this as the first stage of a weeding process! :)

Very early feasibility days at the moment...very much rebuilding a bothy than something suitable for aircrew! Just identifying if anyone on the site would have even a modicum of interest. No point in formulating an SR if there is no interest whatsoever here. Power would solely be by a genny, brought along with fuel at each visit by occupiers....so no plastering, mains wiring etc....very much field skills, improvisation and ingenuity...if you're lucky, sometimes one can get a mobile signal from Monserrat/ Nevis......maybe think of this as the first stage of a weeding process! :)

Somewhat surprisingly, given the previous comments, I may well be seriously up for this. And I do have lots of relevant skills. PM me.

I would certainly like to know more about it ;-)

Nothing to do with that..went on an exped well after (2019) for survey and saw the need...have eventually got a 38ft boat now (Hatteras motor twin diesels + genny - 4 main berths and space in salon for more...but new liferaft is 6 man ) and currently fitting out...it got here in December having bought and moved it in the States...if there is interest please pm for later in year. :)

Latest Threads