Redcap (no, not that one)

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by barbarasson, Jul 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Idly browsing through play.com I came across the 1960s version of redcap on dvd. Mildly curious (and at only £15) I ordered it, and I have to say that it is bloody good. Not only a young John Thaw (a bit more out of the top draw than Tamsin Outhwaite) in the lead role, but the occasional players are a veritable who's who of British film and TV. I highly recommend it.

2. I watched the original on a black and white TV and joined the Royal Military Poilce on the strength of it! 25 years later I realised I had been conned and put my papers in. Despite the original promise I never once parachuted into the jungle with a briefcase full of statement forms and a Colt .45 automatic. We got a Webley .455 revolver - no parachute - no jungle.

3. My lad bangs about play.com; I use Amazon. Does the 60's series have a similar plot line to the more recent one? Who are the main characters?

4. Sorry. Royal Military Police. Blasted secretary didn't proof read my message.

5. play.com do free postage on all orders and I think they tend to do better reductions than amazon. Their book collection is improving too. Also their free delivery is faster than Amazon's (which is for orders over £15 I think).

6. :lol: :arrow: Guess what? :lol:

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yep, that's about how long it takes for Monkeys to understand and get the point :!:

8. And Auld Yin should know. During his National Service, he whiled away many an evening in thier company. He was such a regular, he even had his own room and an engraved potato peeler.

9. Just seen that episode, did you not notice how miserable John Thaw looked throughout the entire episode? Wasn't that a clue?

10. Bloody hell Exemplo_Ducky_Mouse you must be very old, didn't know the monkey's usued the Webley .455 revolver. Thought it was a Smith & Wesson .38 prior to the Browning 9mm?

11. Sorry about the late reply as you may have guessed I don't catch on too quickly!

When I arrived in Cyprus in 1966 the issue handgun was the Webley. We spent a few months practicing for the Connaught Cup using the gun. The only ammo we could scrounge was Class D (fit for sea dumping only) and had to be hand cleaned to get rid of the verdgris before it would fit in the chamber. The week before the competition the guns were withdrawn with no notice and we got the Brownings. :censored:

At least if you managed to hit anything with the .455 it stayed hit!

12. That is a vile accuracy! :evil:

13. Gadzooks.

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I got my copy from Amazon. The only main character is John Thaw's RMP (SIB) Sgt. John Mann. Each episode is a story in isolation and use pretty much most things the Army was doing in 1964-6 time frame (Active service in Malaysia/Borneo and South Arabia (Aden). Cold war tete-a-tete and spy exchanges with the Soviets in Berlin etc.) as a back drop for all manner of crimes.

Most of the stories are actually quite astute and challenging and could well do with updated versions for today. My favourite is the one about the VC winner who's turned into an alcoholic pub-brawler (Pride Of The Regiment). The second series is better, in production and plot, than the first, but they're all worth watching.

Some of the language is definitely 'un-PC' (a Sqn OC in Aden refers to "Wogs" and "Wog-bashing"), and some of the sets show the budget limitations, but it doesn't really detract from what is essentially a pretty good show. Some early appearances by future stars too. Edward Fox stars a young Subbie who is 'new money' ill at easy in a posh Cav Regt.