Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm Beta Keys

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by moggy_cattermole, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents, Steam rather kindly gave me two beta keys to RO2's expansion, Rising Storm.

To those of you who don't know what Red Orchestra 2 is, it's a damned good 'realistic shooter'. It's not a sim, a la ArmA II, but it's not as painful as Call of Duty in terms of realism. It's an online multi-player shooter that looks very nice, sounds very nice and plays well too. For what it's worth, I highly recommend it. All the maps are meticulously researched (seriously, the area around the map of Pavlov's House matches up really closely to the aerial photos from the time, and the sketch maps from the 13th Guards Rifles Division. I was interested to see how accurately it was modelled. Turns out, very was the answer), and as a bit of a history geek, this makes me tres happy. It looks good, is genuinely fun and satisfying to play. It cuts a decent balance between being 'realistic' but still being a game. Try it if you haven't.

At any rate, Rising Storm moves away from the Eastern Front (to my slight disappointment) to the Pacific. No more Fritzes and Ivans, now we have Yanks and Japs. And flamethrowers.

I can't say I've actually tried the Rising Storm beta yet; I pre-ordered the game because I like Tripwire, who published RO2 (and Killing Floor - also a laugh, try it.), but I reckon it looks decent, and if Red Orchestra 2 was anything to go by, it should be a laugh. My laptop is a piece of prehistoric shite, but most importantly has bugger all space on it, so yeah, I'll try Rising Storm myself later.

Gents, both beta keys have now been claimed. Should I get any more, I'll post here.
  2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Are these still going or have the bones been picked?

I'll gladly swap you for one of my dozen copies of DOTA2!
  3. Still got both, mac - you're welcome to one. Have it gratuis, I recieved a copy of DOTA2 from a kindly chum already. Just wing me your steam name via pm, but I'll be sending it this evening, afraid I'll be a bit held up for most of the day.

Gents, both keys have been claimed, if I get any more I'll make another post.
  4. What are the system requirements?
  5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

According to Steam...

Nothing too strenuous. I never played the original ROs but I'm led to believe this is just an expansion of RO2 so not an uplift in terms of performance. It shows, as the game isn't as good looking as recent releases, but I'm having a lot of fun with it regardless.

I'm very impressed with the squadding and command functions, which are things sorely lacking in most online shooters. Only Battlefield 2 and Planetside 2 ever managed it well, in my experience.

Bot AI is poor and artillery spotting could be more user-friendly but other than that I'm tempted to buy the full game.