Red One: A Bomb Disposal Expert on the Front Line

Dear all,

My first book, Red One: A Bomb Disposal Expert on the Front Line, is published on 19 August this year. Red One is a memoir of my time as a counter-terrorist bomb disposal operator (ATO) in Iraq, focussing on a single action (for which I was later awarded the George Medal) and how PTSD affected me for a number of years afterwards.

Here is the blurb:

This is the gripping true story of a young bomb disposal officer and his terrifying experiences in Iraq facing daily rocket attacks and terrorist bombs. When two of his colleagues are killed by a roadside bomb, Kevin Ivison is called in to defuse a second even deadlier bomb just a hundred yards from the bodies of his friends. To make things worse, the entire area is under fire from snipers, and a crowd of angry Iraqis have begun to hurl petrol bombs... With little chance of living through this impossible task, Kevin leaves final messages for his loved ones and sets out alone towards the bomb that he is sure will be the last thing he sees. In this gut-wrenching tale of heroism and survival, Kevin Ivison explains why he chose to be a bomb disposal expert in the first place, how he found the courage to face his death, and the unendurable stress that has given him nightmares ever since

As soon as I get an advance copy I will offer it to fellow ARRSErs for review. In the meantime, please take a look at Red One on Amazon. If you order the book through the link below, you will also be supporting Help4Heroes - I will donate every penny of Amazon commission to that incredible cause.

Here is the Amazon link:

Red One: A Bomb Disposal Expert on the Front Line: Amazon.co.uk: Kevin Ivison: Books

Thank you,

Kevin Ivison

ugly

LE
I will be looking for that, thank feck there are enough loons like you, Dingerr and my mate's dad who ensured I had many hours stagging on as Cordon fodder!

Is it better than the "other" book about bomb disposaling in Iraq?

Will buy a copy anyway. :)

Is it better than the "other" book about bomb disposaling in Iraq?

Will buy a copy anyway. :)

As an AT you are duty bound to deride it, getting the knife in good and proper, regardless how good it is.

Of course when it comes to my book you must lavish it with praise (only because I have plenty of dirt on you ;-) )

Are ATOs becoming the Andy McNabs of the 21st Century?

Surely it would be something along the lines of "Chuck norris doesn't defuse bombs, the bomb turns itself in and surrenders..." or some such garbage!

Not one mention of how none of this would have been possible without the expert training of thiswayup on all 3 of his IED courses! and he's used a photo of mine in the book!

There better be a signed copy in the post with some sort of suitable message!!!!!!!

Good on you Kevin, more power to you. Sincere congratulations on making it to print, quite an achievement. You have every reason to be very proud of your self.

Nice one mate. Here's an extract from my new book. It's called 'Pet Op:22 Years ******* About'

..........my eye's stared into his like smouldering saphires. The tension could be measured in heartbeats and the smell of brown fear was all encompassing. Who would make the first move? Suddenly time stood still. The air became thick and all sound ceased as everything slowed to the murmur of a split heart beat. All my training came back to me; the endless hours learning my trade 'parrot' fashion in the hope that one day I would actually understand it. The drills and skills sessions and the torture of exams. This is what it all came down to. This one moment. I was about to face my nemesis and I knew it, but strangely a welcoming calm came over me, my breathing slowed and I could feel the confidence flood my veins. It was me and him. No-one else. Just a battle of two great minds and bodies. There could only be success for one. Suddenly it happened. In an explosionn of physical momentum, that ******* stacker twat made a dash for the last available shithouse. To my enormous horror, the little **** was in, with the door locked before I could finish my 3 step. That was when it happened. Beer shit. Lots and lots of beer shit. With a consistancy of warm asphalt I stood there and filled my trolleys.............

"It's a ******* cracking read" - Sven Hassle

"Quite possibly the tome of our time" - Daily Sport

"This man is a ******* idiot" - John Menzie

"Jesus H Christ" - Dr Runcy

Latest Threads