Red Illum?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by MightyGem, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are numerous references, in the latest AAC Journal, to night ops under "red illum". Is that infra red illumination? There's also reference to "black illum" as something different, but I understood that to be infra red light.
  2. Just a thought... What's the issue date of the journal?

Of course, as I've no knowledge of such things, I may be barking up the wrong tree...
  3. When working with IR you get: green,red and black illume.
  4. MG, it refers to the amount (or lack of) light available for various EO to work effectively. Ie ******* black as black nights with no ambient light means NVG do not work terribly well. Certain countermeasures are available to be able to work around such environmental issues. Ie - dont use NVG!
  5. Red lights, I'd have thought, it doesn't knacker your night vision nearly as much as white light; IANAP. That Seaside Rescue program was on a few hours ago and the winchman switched to red lights in the cabin during a night rescue.
  6. Yeah, been there done that, only we didn't have an alternative.

7. During the month, Millilux levels are divided into Red and Green Illum periods.

Green is high milliux, Red is dark as a witches tit, generally, training sorties don't go ahead in Red Illum periods.

Black Illum is artificially increasing light levels using IR flare, IR Arty and Mortar Illum rounds.
  8. Thanks for that G11. Makes it all clear.

As an aside, I always wondered why witches tits were black. Found out recently that tit is short for titfer as it "tit fer tat" ie, hat.
  9. G11 You need to get out more!