red/green colourblind

#1
i am appling to be an Ammunition Technician, but i have literally just found out that i am red/green colourblind, although this is unusual in females. Will this seriously affect my chances? If it does is there another job i should aim for where this won't affect me?
 
#2
hayley_90 said:
i am appling to be an Ammunition Technician, but i have literally just found out that i am red/green colourblind, although this is unusual in females. Will this seriously affect my chances? If it does is there another job i should aim for where this won't affect me?
There's plenty of jobs where this won't matter, check with your recruiting officer. I always thought women couldn't be colour blind, a genes thing specific to men, sorry it screwed your chances to do what you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find something equally rewarding where it doesn't effect you.
 
#3
I'll take a look at the paperwork tomorrow and see which trades don't accept red/green colourblind applicants. IIRC its very few.
 
#4
Ord_Sgt said:
hayley_90 said:
i am appling to be an Ammunition Technician, but i have literally just found out that i am red/green colourblind, although this is unusual in females. Will this seriously affect my chances? If it does is there another job i should aim for where this won't affect me?
There's plenty of jobs where this won't matter, check with your recruiting officer. I always thought women couldn't be colour blind, a genes thing specific to men, sorry it screwed your chances to do what you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find something equally rewarding where it doesn't effect you.
it usually it specific to men, as it is carried on the X chromosone, although if both X chromosones are carriers in women this can have the effect of making a female coloour blind. My grandad thinks ham is blue. And my dad couldn't see any colour whatsoever. So i have it on boths side unfortunately.
 
#5
You won't be able to go ammo tech. (Which is a shame if you are a good looking splitarse!).

I believe most electrical/electronic trades will be a no go as well, but you will have to confirm that.
 
#6
hayley_90 said:
Ord_Sgt said:
hayley_90 said:
i am appling to be an Ammunition Technician, but i have literally just found out that i am red/green colourblind, although this is unusual in females. Will this seriously affect my chances? If it does is there another job i should aim for where this won't affect me?
There's plenty of jobs where this won't matter, check with your recruiting officer. I always thought women couldn't be colour blind, a genes thing specific to men, sorry it screwed your chances to do what you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find something equally rewarding where it doesn't effect you.
it usually it specific to men, as it is carried on the X chromosone, although if both X chromosones are carriers in women this can have the effect of making a female coloour blind. My grandad thinks ham is blue. And my dad couldn't see any colour whatsoever. So i have it on boths side unfortunately.
Thatss a real bummer. However as I've said there are LOTS of other jobs in the Army which you could apply for. TOP will look at those that you're excluded from then you have a starting place to find what else you do want to do. What interests you other than AT? Signals, Engineers, Logistics, Intelligence, the list is very long.
 
#7
dingerr said:
You won't be able to go ammo tech. (Which is a shame if you are a good looking splitarse!).

I believe most electrical/electronic trades will be a no go as well, but you will have to confirm that.
Well and truly out. No way for you to determine cable colours, resistor values and many other things. You will unfortunately have to ask the careers office.
 
#8
do you know any jobs where this wouldn't affect me cause i'm kinda stumped as to where to go from here?
 
#9
hayley_90 said:
do you know any jobs where this wouldn't affect me cause i'm kinda stumped as to where to go from here?
It's difficult to be precise without a better idea of what you are interested in. Technician type jobs are out but that doesn't mean technical jobs are. Let TOP come back with those that you are specifically excluded for colour blindness and then we can start listing those that you are good for. Trust me there is plenty left to look at.

Don't worry too much about it, this is unfortunate, but something you can't change so try to forget it and concentrate on what you can do and take it from there.
 
#10
You will never be employed to hunt strawberries in a pine forest but there are plenty of options still.

Stick with it but don't jump at the first offer.
 
#11
bloody my typical luck to be in the 1% of females who are colourblind and it really affects what i want to do *rolls eys*
 
#12
I was initially diagnosed as being colour blind, I was advised to seek a medical referral, and was subsequently diagnosed as having "some difficulty" in distinguishing red/blue tones. In the words of the specialist "more colour dyslexia than colour blindness". That was 22 years ago, when I started my career in communications and ordnance.

If you can manage the resistor colour codes (LINK) so much the better, but as they are usually surface mounted nowadays (with the values printed), your problems may not necessarily rule you out.

The message here is don't give up, do take advice, always challenge presumption (diplomatically) and be selective
 
#13
pyrogenica said:
I was initially diagnosed as being colour blind, I was advised to seek a medical referral, and was subsequently diagnosed as having "some difficulty" in distinguishing red/blue tones. In the words of the specialist "more colour dyslexia than colour blindness". That was 22 years ago, when I started my career in communications and ordnance.

If you can manage the resistor colour codes (LINK) so much the better, but as they are usually surface mounted nowadays (with the values printed), your problems may not necessarily rule you out.

The message here is don't give up, do take advice, always challenge presumption (diplomatically) and be selective
I do know there is another thread on here about a guy who had the same problem, search lantern test to find it if memory serves, he seemed to end up passing if I remember rightly in the end.
 
#14
hayley_90 said:
bloody my typical luck to be in the 1% of females who are colourblind and it really affects what i want to do *rolls eys*
That means you are speshul!!!!
 
#15
Includes trades or postings at least that may require driving on Airfield Operating Surfaces as well.
 
#16
ok, here is (fresh from PAP 2007) a list of trades by colour perception

The following trades/jobs are colour perception 2 only

Royal Engineers
ME (Heating & Plumbing)
ME (Surveyor Engineering)
ME(Draughtsman) (all) }
ME (Building & Structural Finisher)
ME Electrician
ME (Geographic Technicians)
ME (Construction Materials Technician)
ME (Fitter General)
ME (Air Con & Refridgeration)

Royal Signals
Electrician

AAC
Pilot - No direct entry for OR pilots
Soldier

RLC
Seaman (Navigator )
Railway Operator

REME
Vehicle Mechanic
Armourer
Metalsmith
Electronics Technician
Aircraft Technician
Avionics Technician

INT CORPS
– all trades

Colour Perception 3

RE
ME (C3S)
ME (Plant Operator Mechanic)
ME (Driver)
ME (Resources Specialist)
ME (Armoured)
ME (Combat)
ME (Bricklayer & Concretor
ME (Capenter & Joiner)
ME (Fabricator)

R SIGNALS
Systems Engineer Technician
Installation Technician

RLC
Air Despatcher
Marine Engineer
Movement Controller
Ammunition Technician
Petroleum Operator


Colour Perception
0110. For certain Arms and employments the ability to distinguish colours is essential.
Colour perception (CP) is assessed as follows.
Standard 1. (CP1) Not in use in the Army.
Standard II. (CP2) Normal red/green colour perception.
Standard III. (CP3) Able to distinguish accurately white, signal red and signal green.
Standard IV. (CP4) Unable to reach Standard III.
 
#17
I am CP4 and managed 22 years in the Royal Signals. There are decent trades out there it all depends on what you want to do. Anyone seen my can of coke on this green desk?
 
#18
Ord_Sgt said:
I always thought women couldn't be colour blind, a genes thing specific to men, sorry it screwed your chances to do what you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find something equally rewarding where it doesn't effect you.
Going by the avatar she's looking pretty female like :lol:
 
#19
In the 90's Colour Perception (CP) was graded 1 to 4. The people who thought ham was blue were graded 4. Of course 1 is perfect. At that time CP2 was required to get into the Ammo Tech World. When I looked at the normal colour charts I couldnt see a damn thing in the circles on the green/red side of life. ACIO hooked me up with the latern test in Swindon somewhere. Passed the latern test and managed a CP2. So, all things being equal, if the standard hasnt changed your application is going to depend on how colour blind you are. Good luck.
 
#20
Ord_Sgt said:
I do know there is another thread on here about a guy who had the same problem, search lantern test to find it if memory serves, he seemed to end up passing if I remember rightly in the end.
Thanks Ord_Sgt, good suggestion. I failed the Ishara test first time round, the specialist did use the lantern test (which was easy) and that's what got me through.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top