Red Devils Parachute Team 50th Anniversary

haloman

Old-Salt
I haven't seen this mentioned on any threads. If it's old news I apologise.

This year is the 50th Anniversary of the Red Devils Parachute Team. Well done guys, past, present and future. Somebody mentioned a bit of a celebration coming up this weekend (29th / 30th Nov) in Blackpool. If correct, have a great time lads. You have thrilled hundreds of thousands of people over the last 50 years and all credit to you. :clap::applaud::applaud:

HE117

LE
Red Devils?

Oh you mean the Freds!

HE117

LE
..brings back memories of Monty's awful spots on the Avenue.. :)

HE117

LE
I remember a little old lady coming up to my then girlfriend at a Demo and asking....

"Are they the Red Dragons?" ... to which the reply was "No, they are the Cannonballs, the RAOC freefall team.."

Pause....

"How do they make the blue smoke come out of their mouths?"

..Bless!

Hopefully the jet setters find the strength to fight off all those female fans and sober up enough to acknowledge their anniversary... the lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky bastards. Must be the longest blag in Para Reg history :)

Happy 50th The Red Freds!

I remember a little old lady coming up to my then girlfriend at a Demo and asking....

"Are they the Red Dragons?" ... to which the reply was "No, they are the Cannonballs, the RAOC freefall team.."

Pause....

"How do they make the blue smoke come out of their mouths?"

..Bless!

Did you know Ziv's?

This year is the 50th Anniversary of the Red Devils Parachute Team. Well done guys, past, present and future.

Seconded. I guested on several demos when Peter Schofield was boss. A lot of the team members made the numbers up on the JSFTT during the off season.
I noted in my days with the former 16 Para Bde. that a good number of 664 Sqn pilots were former Freds. It almost seemed a rite of passage before transferring to flying.
Mind you Haloman, the National Parachute team in the early days were predominantly from Hereford. The Freds got a grip, formed a good training liaison with The Golden Knights and developed an outstanding competition team, with Brian David being an obvious example of individual talent. Happy days.

Seconded. I guested on several demos when Peter Schofield was boss. A lot of the team members made the numbers up on the JSFTT during the off season.
I noted in my days with the former 16 Para Bde. that a good number of 664 Sqn pilots were former Freds. It almost seemed a rite of passage before transferring to flying.
Mind you Haloman, the National Parachute team in the early days were predominantly from Hereford. The Freds got a grip, formed a good training liaison with The Golden Knights and developed an outstanding competition team, with Brian David being an obvious example of individual talent. Happy days.

Brian was my hero, Sooty Standring was another individual.
You'll recognise some of the blokes on this old site

http://www.red-devils-fft.com/page5.htm

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
..brings back memories of Monty's awful spots on the Avenue.. :)

1974 and I am doing a sport parachuting course with the Freds on Queens Av.
Get dispatched, check canopy, look down and it is quickly apparent I have been put out short.
Holding all the way , nervous glances over the shoulder guestimating progress , and the final realisation I am not going to make it onto the DZ.
So I turn and go with the wind. I am definitely going to pass over the road but next comes some very high trees.Adopt the position, feet clip the treetop and then I slide down the far side of the foliage and thump into the ground which just happens to be a golf teeing off point.
I can't remember who was the jumpmaster but I bet he rarely spotted on Freds demos.
On the plus side a bit later that day I rushed into the team room for something and almost bumped into Jackie , the sole occupant, wearing only skimpys, a short tight T shirt and pulling on French para boots. That image kept me smiling during many cold nights on Salisbury plain.

Freds.jpg
Was she the first lumpy jumper to wear the beret? Very nice it looked on her as well.

Yes.

That's gonna be one hell of a party.

Latest Threads