Red Dawn: the greatest movie ever made?

Of course you have seen it, if you haven't, take off your blonde wig and get out of the north face bag and get it immediately.

The problem is they are re-making it and instead of a non-dead Patrick Swayze and a non-mental Charlie Sheen they have got f*****g Thor and that whiney little boy from the hunger games, what’s worse is instead of the pesky Russians it is now the peskier North Koreans.

Aside from my personal horror at one of my childhood classics being butchered what do you guys think about this and generally the spate of remakes at the moment. Any good ones, great ones, bad ones or terrible ones?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I saw an Australian version of Red Dawn t'other week. Can't remember the title, but it was someone slanty-eyed who were the bad guys. It was rubbish.

Of course you have seen it, if you haven't, take off your blonde wig and get out of the north face bag and get it immediately.

The problem is they are re-making it and instead of a non-dead Patrick Swayze and a non-mental Charlie Sheen they have got f*****g Thor and that whiney little boy from the hunger games, what’s worse is instead of the pesky Russians it is now the peskier North Koreans.

Aside from my personal horror at one of my childhood classics being butchered what do you guys think about this and generally the spate of remakes at the moment. Any good ones, great ones, bad ones or terrible ones?
**** off.

I was always impressed with the way they adapted Tanks,and APC's,to look like Sov kit,you could 'see the joins' but,a good effort! ;-)

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
And another thing...

Remakes. Very few (IMHO) are worthy of the same title as the original. I've heard rumours of a remake of Top Gun. Why? OK, so Top Gun is a little gung-ho and more than a little homoerotic, but it's still a class film. The Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond was a good remake (even if it is 40ish years old now!).

The same thing with sequels. Some films are great on their own. Why spoil it with a crap sequels? Police Academy was a good, fun film. Police Academy 2 was OK. After that they were shit. Same with the American Pie series of films.

A few film series are good. Back to the Future (which was written as a trilogy), Star Wars (written as a series) and Star Trek (which evolved well) are the exceptions.

They are currently remaking Total Recall sans three titted lady. That should show you that all remakes are inferior.

I totally agree with you, bolting on excess sequels or even worse wedging in prequels usually end up bringing down all involved. Terminator 2 is the sequel which surpasses the original for me but the rest of the franchise are bobbins!

Any other examples?

On the Top Gun front I have heard that Tom Cruise is signed up and going to be the Viper-esque character in a loose sequel in the same universe. Also Top Gun is being re-released in 3d this year on the big screen.

red dawn was awesome.
remake has been binned apprantly making the bad guys chinese isnt PC anymore.

The remake is due out in November. They had to digitally alter a few bits to make the baddies North Korean instead of Chinese because of fears about it being blanked by Chinese audiences. Either way its gonna be as gash as the original.

Heat is the best remake ever. LA Takedown was a crap tv movie by Michael Mann but when he made Heat it was ******* awesome. I still bang it on and turn the surround sound up when the bank shootout kicks off.

The only film I ever saw that was as good as the first...or was it even better? was return to lonesome dove, best western ever in my book.

I'd say one of the few films to miss the 'saggy sequel' effect was Aliens- but they very carefully avoided the 'haunted house' remake and went for all out action gunfire. The rest of the franchise were pretty crap though.

And another thing...

Remakes. Very few (IMHO) are worthy of the same title as the original. I've heard rumours of a remake of Top Gun. Why? OK, so Top Gun is a little gung-ho and more than a little homoerotic, but it's still a class film. The Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond was a good remake (even if it is 40ish years old now!).

The same thing with sequels. Some films are great on their own. Why spoil it with a crap sequels? Police Academy was a good, fun film. Police Academy 2 was OK. After that they were shit. Same with the American Pie series of films.

A few film series are good. Back to the Future (which was written as a trilogy), Star Wars (written as a series) and Star Trek (which evolved well) are the exceptions.
So true. My all time favourite film is The Italian Job and i have not watched even a second of the Hollywood remake as i just know it will be total shite and a travesty.

I've been warming to:

But it may just be the Wild Turkey.

Star Wars (written as a series)
No it wasn't, 6 Classic Series You Didn't Know Were Made Up on the Fly | Cracked.com

A pity that Tomorrow, when the war began has turned out to be shit, quite enjoyed reading the novels when I was a teen.

I'm not sure how these remakes will work, or why a production company would want to back them. Surely they must realise that a classic film won't be out done? Just look at The Thing (2011) which people assumed was a remake not a prequel and that flopped (and was shit).

Some production companies or subsidiaries own the rights to the scripts and character names and the can re-make films without having to pay the development fees so they get a half made movie with a pre-existing target audience. For example I will go and watch the new Red Dawn just to compare, the sneaky buggers.

True about Star Wars it wasn't originally episode 4 at all!

Alien us one of the best films ever made. However, the sequel, Aliens, is off the scale. So awesome. Tbh, they might make red dawn better. Its a bit B movie...

What makes me "laugh" about the contradictions in the Star Wars "saga" between Star Wars and then the 'prequels', is the suddenly compressed timeline. Lucas kept a very very tight grip on marketing, and contributed to the Official Star Wars universe compendium, which stated (for example) the Star Destroyers took 70 years to develop. Which knocks the timeline from the last of the prequels to Star Wars into a crooked hat.

Whats annoying is that he thinks none of us remember the opening scene of Star Wars, sans Episode IV.