Red Crystal to Join Red Cross and Crescent

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This has been on BBC news this morning, but googling it came up with this ling to the International Herald Tribune: http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/25/news/red.php

The idea is that that the as well as the red cross and crescent the ICRC should be represented by a red crystal. An outline of a red diamond on a white background. Its mainly being pushed becasue Isreal won't accept the cross or the crescent and the arabs won't accept the red star that Isreal uses. There also other non Chritian or Muslim countries that would prefer something nuetral.

I'm all in favour. The red cross looks to much like the English flag for my tastes. (Yes I know its the reverse of the Swiss flag)

2. 'Red heart' is the best solution I guess.

3. Oh, ffs. :roll: Talk about picking peanuts out of poo. I'm sure that if any of these cnuts were on the deck in a pool of blood THEY wouldn't wave an ambulance away because it had the wrong symbol on the side.

4. As some one has said the red cross is just the swiss flag reversed, just use that, nothing else. It was only originally used as an honour to the a swiss man who did so much to ease suffering. He was Christian, not Jewish, Muslim or anyother faith, so why not use the emblem he wished.

The one problem with bringing in all these extras is that it will make it confusing.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I bet the red heart was considered and dropped becuase of it catholic conections - all those 'sacred heart' establishments were kids are abused etc. The 'Crystal' is at least completly nuetral.

6. That not the problem its wether someone takes pot shots at the ambulance hospitial flying the flag .Armies are supposed to obey rules . Getting a muslim or buddhist to respect a christian symbol could be dodgy .Likewise the red crescent for christian or jews
    and a red star of david is basically a fig11 for far too many people .A non religious symbol might be a good idea at least no one could use the excuse "well you dont recognise my symbol so i wont recognise yours"
    Though all combatants really should respect any sign if covered by law and well known imho .

7. Funny but I thought the Red Cross was an non religious symbol?

It is a cross not a crucifix.

8. Also out of contention (in no particular order)....

The Red Square.......too well associated with the FSU ditto the five pointed Red Star.
    The Red Circle.........Nippon Ji got first dibs.
    The Red Triangle......too much like a roadsign.
    The Red Pentagon.....Home of the Great Satans Minions.
    The Red Checker......Looks like the Croation Flag.
    The Red Hand.........Cross community Irish Symbol but that Professor of whatever it was in Glasgow disagrees so thats out.
    The Red Oval......Rugby haters would object.
    The Red Baron.....too hard to draw on a shed roof and imperialistic overtones anyhow.
    The Red Hexagon (or any polygon with more than 5 sides)....looks like a circle from the distance.

So as a semi serious suggestion a drop (or drops) of red blood.
    To be know as The Red Drop

9. No! The only viable symbol is The Red Lion!

Cures dehydration.
    Helps recovery with the hair of the dog

Now that's first aid!

10. Considering the misuse of both red cross & crescent by various terrorist groups in order to transport fighters/bombs/armaments, then the first thing that needs to be done is introduce an "No excuses, up against the wall, bang you're dead" clause for those that abuse ANY symbol recognised as mercy oriented.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Iranians have already thought of it:

[​IMG]

The protected symbol of the Red Lion Society, also known as the Red Lion & Sun. It was used until the 1980s, when they adopted the Red Crescent.

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Beat me to it VB.
    I understand that it is no longer in use, seems a pity when it only added to the confusion.

13. Yes, you're quite right. The Red Lion, Tehran 1979, the worst pint I've ever had!

Seriously though, I think it's still pictured in the little booklet about the rules of warfare. I'll check later.

14. Easiest way to find out if they are non combatants is to fire a couple of shots just off target. If they fire back, Game on.....

(That’s what an American told me.) :)

15. Actually, now I've seen it its a pretty good recognition symbol though diamond is stretching it a bit......an inclined hollow red square would be more like it.

Oh hang on....hollow squares of red....... that us isnt it?