Red Caps Executed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Jan 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't tihnk I've seen so much inflamatory language used in a "news" piece for some time.

Armchair , we covered this in some detail on Arrse . There are some confusing and contradictory reports. Chief amongst these are the "witness" reports from a "Radio Sawa" journalist.

It seems the Guardian/Observer haven't actually bothered their arrses to examine the credibility of certain witnesses closer.

2. PTP. I would be interested in reading what was posted, problem lays in my inability to get anything usefull from the search option, I always end up with 'random' threads for some reason.
    Back to point,do you have link to any of the threads?

Frenchie

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I have complained to the media (and particularly the BBC) before about the use of the word 'executed' to describe killings of this sort. Executed refers to the execution of a judicial sentence of death passed by a court. It should not be used to describe murders committed by terrorists, insurgents or criminals.

4. The Observer like any paper exists to sell copy. The word execution from what I know of the incident seems fairly close to the mark sadly. VB, whilst I agree with the dictionary definition of execution, I think the term in everyday parlance is taken to mean cold-blooded killing. Whether the article is inflammatory-well, certain questions need answering. Will we ever know the truth-probably not, given the army's history with the truth.

5. Here you go Frenchie

Massacre of the red caps
    A tragedy of errors

It was the largest single loss of life under enemy fire since the Falklands war - six British soldiers murdered in a tumbledown police station in the heat of southern Iraq. In a major investigation, The Observer reveals shocking evidence of the chaos and confusion among senior ranks of the armed forces that left the Red Caps to face their fate alone. Mark Townsend reports

Sunday January 8, 2006
    The Observer

Edited for copyright issues, link published earlier - PTP

6. An over-used word, but I think that "tragic" truly applies to this incident.

7. A_J , sorry I ment the threads on Arrse, thank you never the less.

I seem to always have issues, for an unknown reason, when searching on Arrse.

Frenchie

8. Sad reading and to be honest not really a surprise. But has the Guardian got it right? who knows.... We will have to wait for the inquest for the answers, although hopefully with that the Guardian running that article more of the truth will come out!

Will lessons be learnt? ... have they already been learnt? dont know on that one... hope so or else the loss will really have been in vain.

For what its worth I'm with Reg Keys and the families on this one. Oh and no matter what is said or where this thread leads lets not forget that 6 very brave Comrades passed over on that awfull day.

RIP Lads

9. What really gets on my t!ts in these kind of reports is when some tw@t of a journalist starts guessing what those guys were going through, what they were thinking etc. What the f@uck would he know ? Cnut.

10. It's called human interest-the idea being to involve the readership on an emotional level. Part of me suggests any article fighting the corner of the common soldier is a good one, and at least it maintains pressure on the MOD! Have you not wondered what was going through the minds of these poor lads ?(and they were lads mostly) I'm sure Reg Keys and other relatives would view this article positively, even if some of the writing reflects poor research.

11. Reading that has just spoiled my day, sickening.
    john

12. To those with knowledge of the ways of the jam trademark people, the news that the death of these guys was brutal in the extreme comes as no surprise. I don't know if the families got to see the bodies - if they did; so well and good but if not, this article could well have been watered down.
    There was a similar killing of multiple RMP in downtown Cairo when a mob got into an information post during the Farouq out riots. They also sustained appaling and sadistic mutilation after their death.

13. Hands on hearts,was anyone really surprised,when they heard the news of this attrocity?

The M.P.s have been patrolling war zones,badly equipped and trained for years.Why no guard on the landrovers,no GPMGs,M79s etc.

We´ve all gone spare on a patrol,ended up in the wrong area,or even country!But it was known these guys were there,why no emergency back up,SOP for LRPG in NI?

I sincerely hope, that those responsible for this,get grilled;Whatever their rank,they let their soldiers down badly,incompetence or blatant stupidity,the result was the same.

They say sh*t happens;It doesn´t,not if everyone does their job properly!

I thought the article was quite good;Nice to see a journalist on the forces side,I just hope he keeps on kicking the guilty parties.