Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Red Book Bo**cks

CDT_Dodger

Old Salt
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the red book on leaving the army.

I was told that this should be handed to any potential employer when turning up for an interview. What a crock of sh*t that advice was. I have been out of the army for 5 years now and never once have I been asked about the red book during interviews and I would feel ashamed to had it over for some civvy to browse through as the information it holds is pants. Is it supposed to be some sort of military CV?

On another note - when constructing your own CV for job hunting, I have found that you can just about make up any kind of bullshit for your military career. You can insert any kind of information during your military service that relates to the job you are going for and potential employers have no way of verifying your claims. If references are asked for then you state that person has been posted, cant trace him etc..

It worked for me!

The first time I was interviewed for a job after leaving the army, the first question was, "I see you have been in the army, have you got your red book with you?"

Be very careful with this. You only have to run into one person who is ex-forces, and there are thousands of us out there.

As for references again be careful. I always checked ever reference when I have been recruiting. If you only provide names of people you are not in contact with I would want to know why.

If you get caught lying on a CV or application you are liable for instant dismissal, no matter how good at the job you are.

Also what ever happened to personal integrity?

CDT_Dodger said:
On another note - when constructing your own CV for job hunting, I have found that you can just about make up any kind of bullshit for your military career. You can insert any kind of information during your military service that relates to the job you are going for and potential employers have no way of verifying your claims. If references are asked for then you state that person has been posted, cant trace him etc.

Some guys in this Organisation who could almost certainly give you a reference. Sounds like you have a lot in common.

Inf/MP wrote:

The first time I was interviewed for a job after leaving the army, the first question was, "I see you have been in the army, have you got your red book with you?"

Be very careful with this. You only have to run into one person who is ex-forces, and there are thousands of us out there.

As for references again be careful. I always checked ever reference when I have been recruiting. If you only provide names of people you are not in contact with I would want to know why.

If you get caught lying on a CV or application you are liable for instant dismissal, no matter how good at the job you are.

You rolls your dice - you takes ya chance.

abacus wrote:

Some guys in this Organisation who could almost certainly give you a reference. Sounds like you have a lot in common.

Its a tough world out here where you have to stand on your own two feet with no military pampering to help you. You have to grab any opportunity by whatever means at your disposal. If that means fibbing then so be it, it pays the mortgage and feeds the kids.

Good point about personal Integrity MP, but Dodger also has a valid point. At the end of the Day we are all interested in our own advancement and well being...If we can afford the Luxury of Personal integrity then that is commendable but there may be times when it may be a disadvantage.

No Officer, I didn`t Stab him - He fell onto my knife. The difference between 5 years and a smacked wrist

Notwithstanding that technology has come a long way
scan it into the Computer....Re - Laminate it and stick it back together...
make Exemplary out of Bad boy....medals from everywhere....."Sorry to see him go" instead of not "sorry to see the Tosser go"
They have no way of checking

having said that, mines been in a packing box for the last 20 years...in its original state...and I`ve never needed it, not even when I worked as a civvy for the Military.

What it boils down to is what you actually did whilst in the Army is of little consequence - The trick is to translate the experience to the outside world.

I got a blue book when I left the R.N. Same difference!
Everyone bullsh1ts when they apply for a job, but you need to make sure it is not real fantasy.
Make sure your references know what they are covering.

yep and I got a light blue folder when leaving the R.A.F, second job I went for was an ex warrant Officer in charge of the interview asked for my blue book then bollocked me when my Range card fell out!

Its a complete crock of b*llocks!!

i left after 10 years, the summary in my 'little red book' was actually copied word for word by my too busy plt cmd from a rather tongue in cheek, 'this man is the dogs b*llox' i actually penned for him!

Kind of summed up 10 years in the mob!

You make your own reputation, good or bad, in whatever sector you choose in civvy life. Hopefully the mob gives us all a head start in some areas, but its not the be all and end all. Remember most civvies have no appreciation of what you've done, and quite frankly don't give a flying f*ck into the bargain, so don't think you're owed a living on leaving - nobody cares once you leave those camp gates for the last time.

Crack on and take the experience you have, the red book means b*ggery f*ck!!

I will start by saying that I am NOT ex-services of any sort. I just happened on this while surfing about.

But... I do work in the offshore oil industry and there are a fair number of ex-servicemen there, especially ex-RN because they often have useful trade training. There are other parallels too, unpredictable travel to places no-one would willingly go to, work in all weathers and things that can go very badly wrong, very quickly.

Suffice it to say that if you misrepresent your service record, even if you get away with it at first interview, you won't get away with it for long. Too many people who know how to find out, or will spot it PDQ.

someone will be along shortly to shout "holy thread resurection" at you.

don't worry about it, it's site SOPs, like Jarrod telling you to use the search function

Holy thread resurrection.

Wasn't that interesting first time around, hence the low post count.

Edited to add - Bugger, beaten to it.

The only reason we would ask for the red book in our organisation is to make sure the military experience is not made up and the person is not a hair's breadth short of a loony bin. :)