• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Red Arrows' first female pilot grounded

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gives me the spleen, no point saying that if it was a geezer it wouldn't be news because, well, it wouldn't be but because a Doris is involved suddenly it 'becomes' news and the implied reasons are all over the piece.

Knobheads.
Er, one hates to take issue with one of ones Moderators in public but why, precisely does this give you 'Spleen'. Assuming Spleen is not some sort of energy drink favored you you young things.

The BBC piece was balanced and simply reported that the girl had been reassigned, something I believe happens in the RAF. There were no parking jokes evident.

The Red Arrows is news. Fact. Because millions of people turn out every year to watch fast magic. That is the Red Arrows raison d'être. surely?

Personally I would be more pissed off if the BBC ignored them.

It's a change in the line up of the Arra's and of course, features a bird who is the first on the team and can be tied to the high profile deaths of two of the teams members...

Think of papers this will sell.

Story is by the by.

Forastero

LE
I have the 'spleen' because I don't believe that this would have been reported had it been a chap that was reassigned to a ground role. Equally, the reasons given are that functionally and aesthetically, seven looks better than eight so why not make that the main thrust of the piece rather than labouring the point about the first female pilot being grounded? The Red Arrows can be news and are popular I agree but one of the pilots isn't the news.

Er, one hates to take issue with one of ones Moderators in public but why, precisely does this give you 'Spleen'. Assuming Spleen is not some sort of energy drink favored you you young things.

The BBC piece was balanced and simply reported that the girl had been reassigned, something I believe happens in the RAF. There were no parking jokes evident.

The Red Arrows is news. Fact. Because millions of people turn out every year to watch fast magic. That is the Red Arrows raison d'être. surely?

Personally I would be more pissed off if the BBC ignored them.
Fair one, however the BBC don't report every male Red Arrow posting/grounding/bad check ride.

I think problem is what the news media consider news worthy, lets face it, where the forces are concerned, they get it wrong 9 times out of 10.

That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet? I am a girl and it does make me cross when women are given roles to balance out genders even if they are 98% ok, I'm not saying she is, I just think that sometimes women are given roles for political reasons and not on merit, for example in the police.

That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet? I am a girl and it does make me cross when women are given roles to balance out genders even if they are 98% ok, I'm not saying she is, I just think that sometimes women are given roles for political reasons and not on merit, for example in the police.
No way would that ever happen.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Red Arrows can be news and are popular I agree but one of the pilots isn't the news.
The Red Arrows are a bit like the Stig. The guy (girl) in the suit is not the news. What they do, is. Sadly they lost two Flt Lts down to accidents. Then there is a bird trying to park a big red plane (sorry). That is news and the media will follow it.

It should not be a big deal that a bird is driving the plane and yes, personnel changes barely get a mention except in the pilots home town. But the Red Arrows; fast, dangerous and ******* stunning, are the most visible and most loved bit of the Brit Mil. Which is not hard when you look at the rest.

"That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet?"

I think her tour is simply up. When she was first posted to the Reds, young Netley wrote her a letter and got a lovely reply, the date was mid 2010 (young netters want to be a pilot, a vet and a singer), so she's done at least 1 season with the sparrows.

Forastero

LE
If her season's up, her season's up - job jobbed and jolly well done. However, take a fairly mundane story about the Reds going to a seven-ship and give it a nice little spin about the Doris. On its own, the story is dull and not very interesting (apart from those who follow their every move of course) but with the added USP of a female pilot, it suddenly makes the front page of the BBC website. Me cynical? Nah!

"That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet?"

I think her tour is simply up. When she was first posted to the Reds, young Netley wrote her a letter and got a lovely reply, the date was mid 2010 (young netters want to be a pilot, a vet and a singer), so she's done at least 1 season with the sparrows.
so the headline should read "RAF Red Arrow pilot posted in accordance with RAF policy at the end of her tour...."

I think that those saying that she has reached the end of her tour are somewhat misinformed.

Reds usually do a three year tour. This allows for an orderly transition as it takes a while to recruit and train the replacment.

The very fact that the Reds are having to drop to a 7 ship means that they were not prepared for her to leave. This is not an end of tour posting.

When I first read that she was leaving for a ground tour, my first reaction was that she was pregnant. Now a couple of the papers are reporting that it is through stress.

Either way, I have mixed feelings about it. It has taken an awful lot of money, time and effort to train her and put her into the role that she is in. If she is pregnant, then does that not lend ammunition to those who say that women shouldn't be in these roles due to that very reason. Millions of pounds wasted for such a short career.

If it is stress, then perhaps she simply is the LMF member of the crew. Does her sex actually have anything to do with it? Is she more prone to stress than the other members of the team because she is a woman? I really don't have the answers, that's why I'm putting up for debate.

The only thing that I am sure of, is that this is not end of tour, she has left the whole team in a bad place, whatever the reason. I wonder if they will be so quick to replace her with another woman, or if they will, in fact, be in an even greater hurry to replace her with another woman to appease those above?

Mav

Old-Salt
I think that those saying that she has reached the end of her tour are somewhat misinformed.

Reds usually do a three year tour. This allows for an orderly transition as it takes a while to recruit and train the replacment.

The very fact that the Reds are having to drop to a 7 ship means that they were not prepared for her to leave. This is not an end of tour posting.

When I first read that she was leaving for a ground tour, my first reaction was that she was pregnant. Now a couple of the papers are reporting that it is through stress.

Either way, I have mixed feelings about it. It has taken an awful lot of money, time and effort to train her and put her into the role that she is in. If she is pregnant, then does that not lend ammunition to those who say that women shouldn't be in these roles due to that very reason. Millions of pounds wasted for such a short career.

If it is stress, then perhaps she simply is the LMF member of the crew. Does her sex actually have anything to do with it? Is she more prone to stress than the other members of the team because she is a woman? I really don't have the answers, that's why I'm putting up for debate.

The only thing that I am sure of, is that this is not end of tour, she has left the whole team in a bad place, whatever the reason. I wonder if they will be so quick to replace her with another woman, or if they will, in fact, be in an even greater hurry to replace her with another woman to appease those above?
Would you have the same feelings if a male pilot quit/got re-assigned as a result of stress?

Latest Threads