Red Arrows' first female pilot grounded

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forastero, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Now, the headline doesn't say that but the implication is there.

BBC News - Red Arrows' first female pilot takes ground role

Gives me the spleen, no point saying that if it was a geezer it wouldn't be news because, well, it wouldn't be but because a Doris is involved suddenly it 'becomes' news and the implied reasons are all over the piece.

Knobheads.

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Er, one hates to take issue with one of ones Moderators in public but why, precisely does this give you 'Spleen'. Assuming Spleen is not some sort of energy drink favored you you young things.

The BBC piece was balanced and simply reported that the girl had been reassigned, something I believe happens in the RAF. There were no parking jokes evident.

The Red Arrows is news. Fact. Because millions of people turn out every year to watch fast magic. That is the Red Arrows raison d'être. surely?

Personally I would be more pissed off if the BBC ignored them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a change in the line up of the Arra's and of course, features a bird who is the first on the team and can be tied to the high profile deaths of two of the teams members...

Think of papers this will sell.

Story is by the by.

4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I have the 'spleen' because I don't believe that this would have been reported had it been a chap that was reassigned to a ground role. Equally, the reasons given are that functionally and aesthetically, seven looks better than eight so why not make that the main thrust of the piece rather than labouring the point about the first female pilot being grounded? The Red Arrows can be news and are popular I agree but one of the pilots isn't the news.

5. Fair one, however the BBC don't report every male Red Arrow posting/grounding/bad check ride.

I think problem is what the news media consider news worthy, lets face it, where the forces are concerned, they get it wrong 9 times out of 10.

6. That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet? I am a girl and it does make me cross when women are given roles to balance out genders even if they are 98% ok, I'm not saying she is, I just think that sometimes women are given roles for political reasons and not on merit, for example in the police.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No way would that ever happen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The Red Arrows are a bit like the Stig. The guy (girl) in the suit is not the news. What they do, is. Sadly they lost two Flt Lts down to accidents. Then there is a bird trying to park a big red plane (sorry). That is news and the media will follow it.

It should not be a big deal that a bird is driving the plane and yes, personnel changes barely get a mention except in the pilots home town. But the Red Arrows; fast, dangerous and ******* stunning, are the most visible and most loved bit of the Brit Mil. Which is not hard when you look at the rest.

9. I'll put a tenner on RAFAT not coming back with a nine-ship in 2013.

10. "That didn't take long, has she flown a season yet?"

I think her tour is simply up. When she was first posted to the Reds, young Netley wrote her a letter and got a lovely reply, the date was mid 2010 (young netters want to be a pilot, a vet and a singer), so she's done at least 1 season with the sparrows.

11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

If her season's up, her season's up - job jobbed and jolly well done. However, take a fairly mundane story about the Reds going to a seven-ship and give it a nice little spin about the Doris. On its own, the story is dull and not very interesting (apart from those who follow their every move of course) but with the added USP of a female pilot, it suddenly makes the front page of the BBC website. Me cynical? Nah!

• Like Like x 1
  12. so the headline should read "RAF Red Arrow pilot posted in accordance with RAF policy at the end of her tour...."

• Like Like x 2
  13. It should be major news - it will take quite a chunk of the defence budget to get rid of the smell of foxes piss out of that cockpit!!

• Like Like x 1