Red Arrow jets collide off Crete

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr._Average, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't want to cause any ructions but didn't they recently get a woman jockey in the team...no reason for asking :)

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Yes they did (Red9 I believe) - & no, I don't know if it was her....

3. I say this with thoughts for the injured crew in the forefront of my mind but how much has just been p1ssed up the wall?

Is it just me who thinks in a time of financial hardship p1ssing about flying for crowds should take a back seat?

This incident more than likely means the grounding of a skilled fast jet pilot and umpteen £'s wasted.

4. H3

H3 LE

Quote "One pilot ejected and has been taken to hospital, the second landed safely. The state of the two aircraft is not yet known " un-quote.

Umm he's ejected muppet so it went down with a big crunch ! these are jurno's at their best 8O

5. I believe commercial sponsorship foots a lot of the bill

6. A couple of years I managed to blag some tickets to the Red Arrows tent at RIAT, and believe me they do a lot more than just fly, there were teams of suits there doing all kind of deals

7. Suits do deals at airshows regardless of whether the Red Barrows pitch up. It's a gimmick but laser clay pigeon shooting is just as attractive - I've seen it work at a defence show in Singapore. We had the Arrows and STC had the clay. Frankly I left our stand and went and had a go on the Sings' toy!

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Indeed.

I deployed to the Gulf and Indian Ocean in '06 with the HMS Illustrious task group, we basically spent the whole trip doing demonstrations and manoeuvres for foreign 'guests.' The Red Arrows had magically found funding to come all the way there and join us for a week, taking part in the displays.

Funny old thing, BAe were trying to sell hawks to India and Oman at the time.

Still, it was a good trip and I got to lock up the Red Arrows with phalanx. :D

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

BAE fund alot of it due to sales etc

I knew someone in the Arrows who was due to go to a far flung place on tour
    Due to one thing and another the tour loked doubtful and word came from on high the Arrows will be going regardless of costs, aircraft etc

I assume the state of the aircraft will determined when a submarine gives it a once over

10. That puts me in my box then :D

11. I think it's scandalous that they won't be allowed at the London Olympics as they're too militaristic...

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Don't set them off

Smoke on, Upsdie down Goooooooooooo :p

13. There is also the revenue that their displays brings in! The cost of hiring them for even a fly past is astronomical and I'm sure it outways the flying costs.

Funnily I can remember the last time they crashed. I was 4 and sat in the back garden when they collided. I told my mum who gave me a slap for lying, 10 seconds later one of the planes crashed in the village!!! She believed me then but didn't apologise for the slap!

14. Who told you that rubbish? 8O