Red Arrow Down - 20/03/18

That would be about once a month.

Each.

No idea but 1 in 10s Of 1000s would probably be closer to the mark?

Condolences to family and friends of the Eng.
There are over 6000 members in the Martin-Baker club since it formed in 1957. That's worldwide, not bad odds really.

Last edited:
Theres over 6000 members in the Martin-Baker club since it formed in 1957. That's worldwide, not bad odds really.
6000-v- number of sorties flown in MB equipped aircraft since 1957 = very good odds of NOT getting a good scoff and a tie would be my guess?

6000-v- number of sorties flown in MB equipped aircraft since 1957 = very good odds of NOT getting a good scoff and a tie would be my guess?
Indeed. Not sure it's a club i'd want to join in a rush!

Was that not more with the earlier "gun" ejector seats..? I understand the more modern rocket powered 0-0 seats do less damage (provided you miss the dashboard with your knees!)
Give the man a Kewpie doll - a combination of a reduction from 80 feet per second guns but a more sustained thrust from rockets and longer tubes with the abandonment of the face screen handle has helped reduce injuries.

Rather close to the wreckage
Biggest threat is the chance of drifting back in and chute collapsing from the fireball. Saw it happen to a F-5 pilot. Another RIP unfortunately.

I often wonder whether a MB engineer had a chance to sniff around the aftermath of the two MiG 29s that clipped each other at Fairford, (1993?) The Russian ejector seat appeared to bang under the thighs of the pilot, not the spine, flipping the seat into a back somersault. The one pilot landed on his feet, collapsed his chute, reached down to the pocket of his Babygro on the outside of his lower leg, cigarettes and matches out, lit up, good to go. Seemed much more civilised than coming out of it two inches shorter.

Still living up to the site penis of the year award.

The design is 40 years old. The airframes aren't.
XX227 Red Arrows Hawk T1, taken on strength with RAF Display Team The Red Arrows on 6th February 1980, retired from Red Arrows service 16th February 2018. 8077 Flying Hours, 13,855 Landings. A good career considering the amount of strain put upon the airframe when performing displays during 37 seasons. A good solid design! I'm not sure of where it will go next, but the aircraft was signed by all members of the team before being struck off. I think probably headed to an appropriate museum to live out its days as a display piece.

Biggest threat is the chance of drifting back in and chute collapsing from the fireball. Saw it happen to a F-5 pilot. Another RIP unfortunately.
Probably as Pilots try to ensure that their crashing airframe is not destined to hit buildings on the ground, they stay with the aircraft to the last seconds, so eject very shortly before the aircraft becomes bent scrap on the ground. Ejector seats are designed to get the pilot clear of the crashing aircraft not shoot them into space!

In 1973, as a schoolboy at Episkopi during a Cento firepower demonstration on the bombing range off the Episkopi/Akrotiri coast. I watched the pilot of a Harrier lose control his aircraft over Paramali, Cyprus and he directed it down to an empty football pitch in Happy Valley Episkopi, ejecting at the very last second only to land into the now burning wreckage on the field. Happily he survived, however I believe it was the end of his flying career as the ejection seat compressed his spine.

From UK Military Aircraft Losses 1973:
"24/09/1973 XV739 Harrier GR1A1 Sqn Crashed at Episkopi, Cyprus in the climbing transition from the hover during a display rehearsal. The pilot ejected"

Last edited:
XX227 Red Arrows Hawk T1, taken on strength with RAF Display Team The Red Arrows on 6th February 1980, retired from Red Arrows service 16th February 2018. 8077 Flying Hours, 13,855 Landings. A good career considering the amount of strain put upon the airframe when performing displays during 37 seasons. A good solid design! I'm not sure of where it will go next, but the aircraft was signed by all members of the team before being struck off. I think probably headed to an appropriate museum to live out its days as a display piece.
Maybe Cosford? I think the Red Arrows Folland Gnat has been gone a good while and there isn't a Hawk on display, although there are several used as ground instructional training and in storage 'over the fence'.

Latest Threads