Red Arrow Down - 20/03/18

A huge blow to "The Blues" of course , Mrs Pv and I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of them at air shows and our local airshow , in particular , over the last few years. Great bunch of lads and lasses , great to have a chat with them during the shows. At the last one , The Red Arrows had to cancel due to the weather , OK we'd paid for the posh seats , but The Blues who were present in our enclosure , went out of their way to try and assuage our disappointment by posing for photographs , signing autographs and distributing merchandise. Mrs Pv and I have you all in our thoughts at this time.
Pv.

Ye gods. Eject and you strangle, stay on board and it could go mammaries skywards.
Sounds like a feat of airmanship that one. Steady hand, measured actions while trying to be in control from the waist upwards.
No, the MDC, or det cord, is the "zig zag" xmas tree seen on the canopy of many fast jets, when it blows it shatters the perspex to provide a clear escape path for the seat and occupant. Ejection automatically initiates the MDC. In this case, because the broken canopy resulted in the MDC being wrapped around the pilot, decapitation rather than strangulation would have been the result. I think he made the right choice :p

Rather close to the wreckage

I hope the lad who didn't make it isn't in there
Can't be nice for the family to see that picture in the media

Looking at the pilot, his legs suggest he hasn’t had time to release his survival pack. That will have added to his injuries when he hit the ground.
Is it designed to cushion upon impact with the ground?

Nope. You want to hit with feet and knees together, slightly bent and braced, elbows in and chin tucked.
The survival pack contains all sorts of kit including his dinghy.
It's normally dropped below the pilot once he's released from the seat
I would imagine it's akin to a Para landing with his container still attached
His non life threatening injuries are probably legs and back

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
The CDS can testify to the roughness of ejecting from what I've read

That the aircraft needed replacing is in the public domain.

The airframes are 40+ years old.

Reliability can reduce as time wears on

The Red Arrows to get new planes to replace their ageing jets

That being said, the incident could be a result of any number of factors.
It would have been quicker for you to type "I don't have any credentials, and understand nothing about Airworthiness".

Age isn't an issue for Aircraft as long as it is managed. The Hawks on the RAFAT are subjected to more stringent inspections and a reduced life limiting criteria on certain components precisely because of the flight regime they conduct.

But feel free to comment on a subject you nothing of.

The pack forms the seat the pilot sits on and is a rigid “box” topped with a lambs wool cover which is quite comfortable to sit on. As @syrup says it contains the dinghy and other bits and pieces that can be adjusted for the theatre which the aircraft is operating in.

We had them in the Lynx but the were kept empty for normal peacetime operations which was nice because when we had an away-day you could get a pair of Levi’s, sweat shirt and piss-boots in one!

The CDS can testify to the roughness of ejecting from what I've read

He's not the Harrier pilot who went though the canopy when it failed to detonate on ejection?

Latest Threads