Recycling canon balls?

I'm currently reading the memoirs of a Napoleonic officer and the description of his duties as messenger includes having to dash through artillery bombardments to deliver orders and it got me thinking:

What happened to the hundreds, if not thousands, of canon balls and shot after a (land) battle?

Such a vast quantity of iron couldn't be just left there.

I assume they could be collected, melted down and recast if the forge facilities were available.

Some could theoretically simply be reused without being recast if not mangled and of the right calibre.

ugly

LE
I suuspect they were, the advent of exploding shells may have put an end to the practise!

Is that the blue bin or the little box?

You can still find cannon balls, musket balls and other non explosive remnants of war (NEROW) and explosive remnants of war (EROW) in many places in the UK and particularly at battle sites around the world.

After battles, the remnants, including hand weapons, shot, armour etc would all have been collected and recycled. nowadays, only deeper buried items remain to be found.

Coming more up to date, hundreds of people are killed or injured every year in e.g Vietnam whilst collecting scrap from the Vietnam war. Many countries can tell a similar story.

This guy in the Mekong Delta, being interviewed by Dep, my interpreter, lost both his hands whilst trying to dismantle a 105mm carrier projectile about 8 years ago.

Dep taking notes of amputee interview 30 Jan 2010 compressed.jpg

I suuspect they were, the advent of exploding shells may have put an end to the practise!

So that's why my Jewish uncle Hymie kept shelling his brothers scrapyard during the seven days war

Fenton Valley Of Death.jpg

I always asumed that they did pick them up and recycle what the could. I couldn't help thinking of this Fenton photo taken in the Valley Of Death. Another taken from the same place shows the road after it had been cleared.

That picture also sprang to mind then I was musing. Couldn't for the life of me remember where it was from...

Relating to WWI I read the memoires of a German officer, who's leisure activities on the front included lining up unexploded shells and shooting at them with his chums to see what happened.....Nuts!

View attachment 78802

I always asumed that they did pick them up and recycle what the could. I couldn't help thinking of this Fenton photo taken in the Valley Of Death. Another taken from the same place shows the road after it had been cleared.
Do you know who holds the copyright to that pic? I wouldn't mind using it in a presentation.

Probably collected by the local Pikeys.
Not far off the truth. IIRC during the Napoleonic Wars the French would often pay the locals to collect the spent cannon balls and hand them in for re-use.

Rodney2q

There is some record of the Americans collecting British cannon balls after the Battle of Bunker Hill. They probably fired back any that fitted their captured British guns. I'd have expected everything of any value on a battle field to be looted or recycled.

I have a heating text book somewhere that mentions that some defence ministry (Danish in the early 20th century, ISTR) had a heating system which involved heated cannon balls. There were messengers employed who carried red-hot cannon balls to all the offices (I'd hope they had a trolley) and collected the cold ones. It has some logic, the alternative would have been coal or wood fires and the resulting fire risk, soot, cleaning and ash collection.

There is some record of the Americans collecting British canon balls after the Battle of Bunker Hill. They probably fired back any that fitted their captured British guns. I'd have expected everything of any value on a battle field to be looted or recycled.

I have a heating text book somewhere that mentions that some defence ministry (Danish in the early 20th century, ISTR) had a heating system which involved heated canon balls. There were messengers employed who carried red-hot canon balls to all the offices (I'd hope they had a trolley) and collected the cold ones. It has some logic, the alternative would have been coal or wood fires and the resulting fire risk, soot, cleaning and ash collection.

They 'hotshot' the guns on one of the episodes of 'Hornblower' don't know how accutare that was but they depict them glowing red hot before ramming them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heated_shot

Darn it, I thought of that very photo when i read the subject

Whether hot-shotting was an established art or not, it can think of two problems:

1. The ball will expand when heated, it might not fit down bore or will expand in the bore.
2. You had better make damn sure the wadding is down before shoving a red hot ball down on the powder charge.

Not far off the truth. IIRC during the Napoleonic Wars the French would often pay the locals to collect the spent cannon balls and hand them in for re-use.

Rodney2q
You remember the Napoleonic wars, Rodders? Stands back in amazement and respect!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ericthellama The NAAFI Bar 9
WEATHERMAN1956 The Training Wing 0
B Officers 3