Recycle that body (NSFW)

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Cpl_ripper, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did the CoOp arrange that for him?

2. The tibetean version of the RSPB are a bit keen aren't they? I thought I was a bird lover putting bags of nuts out in winter.

3. I think they do this sort of think in South America too....

Particularly in the mountainous regions.

Saves precious arable land, basically the same as cremation, but needs less fuel.

In one version the vultures take the soul up to heaven or something, in the other the body is just seen as a empty jar, that a human spirit has departed.

4. Since they are big on reincarnation in Tibet, this provides a good and efficient way of getting rid of the "shell" once you have passed on and become a.....vulture for instance.

If my relatives want to cart me off to the local bird of prey centre once I've kicked the bucket, crack on!

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A very traditional practice amongst the Parsees (Zoroastrians) of India too. Whereby the dead deposited at the Towers of Silence to decompose and be eaten by the birds. Became a major health issue after a while, especially in the 70s when the vulture population fell dramatically due to the over use of DDT.

Freddy Mecury should have gone that way, would have been one of the better rock n roll funerals to say the least.

Mind you would probably been the first time a bird had ever noshed on him :D

6. I bet the birds think that's the best thing since sliced.... human?

Scary - it looks like the North York Moors.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It is, that's me riding the moped. Me and Dave get rid of all the bodies this way.

8. Ah-hah! I thought the Hairy Bikers had a manical look in their eye the other day.

9. Fascinating, although looks rather ghoulish to most western eyes I imagine. Be interesting to know the time frame between pegging out and recovering the skeletal remains. :?

10. Didn't they used to do a similar thing here up to the middle ages IIRC?

11. Pretty cool, thats life innit. good to see the human skull is vulture proof and grey stuff needs removing with a tomohawk/2 pound club hammer

I'll remember that next time I peg out a victim

12. That was amazing.

His mates/relatives/funeral director collect up the bones and ensure brain and marrow get turned into "white dielectric mass"(birdshit) as well. Using flour or chalk by the looks of it to minimise the splatter.

It is good to see such practices to realise how utterly strange all human culture is.

Saying that the third comment after the pics refers to girls with dog poo on the site...I do not need to see that, got enough on me lawn.

13. Not the middle ages but during pre-roman times it was meant to be common. The Celtic beliefs were very much on a par with those of Northern India, only it was ravens that did the eating as these were the embodiment of The Morrighan.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm impressed. Beats feeding them to the piggies.