Reference Image Recycle and Reused – Captured vehicles and armour under new management

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Some T55 pics:

They weren't all the latest model, here's the earlier muzzle loading version:

Last edited:
Captured T-34s

Captured T-34s.jpg

t-34_early_241.jpg

I think that's a Panhard 178

French.jpg

Germans captured M10 Wolverine SPG. Italy, 1943

Germans captured M10 Wolverine SPG. Italy, 1943.jpg

Never seen a T-34 with a Mk.IV stowage bin on the turret before.

Interesting also in that top picture the number of turret variations.
The Germans did have a refurbishment depot at one stage adding all sorts of bits onto them, including complete PIV cupolas

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I also forgot to mention that "Them" liberated two of the three fairly new Argentine Agusta Bell AB 109 helicopters which were later used for their CT Ops.

ZE410 and ZE411. I'll upload some photos later.

They were both A109A models with the crap oil coolers. We also bought two A109AMs from Agusta, they became ZE412 & ZE413, which had slightly less shit oil coolers.

Who’s T55s, can’t make out the cap badge??
Rhodesian I think, Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment

1537795566300.png
Unit Crest

Seized by South Africa in 1979. According to Wikipedia, the Rhodesians received 8 captured T-55 from South Africa. These could be them, although Cutaway can probably confirm.

In October 1979, South African port authorities boarded and seized a French freighter, the Astor, believed to be carrying a shipment of weaponry bound for Angola. The Astor had initially been charged by the Libyan government with the delivery of arms, primarily ten T-55LD tanks of Polish origin from Tripoli's surplus stocks, to Uganda. The tanks, including assorted ammunition and spare parts, were to be offloaded at Mombasa, Kenya, and from thence transported overland. By October the Astor's crew had already rounded the Cape of Good Hope but received belated news of Uganda's defeat in the Uganda–Tanzania War, and new orders to reroute their cargo to an unknown Angolan port. The freighter abruptly changed course; upon its unexpected return to South African waters, however, it aroused suspicion and was impounded in Durban.

South Africa confiscated all ten T-55s under the pretext that she was effectively at war with Angola at the time, retaining two for evaluation purposes. The remaining eight were offered as aid to the Rhodesian Army, which assigned them to a newly designated "E" Squadron, Rhodesian Armoured Corps. It was intentionally leaked to the press that the tanks had been captured in Mozambique, and for several months the T-55s were driven around the country on transporters.

Rhodesian I think, Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment

View attachment 354368 Unit Crest

Seized by South Africa in 1979. According to Wikipedia, the Rhodesians received 8 captured T-55 from South Africa. These could be them, although Cutaway can probably confirm.

In October 1979, South African port authorities boarded and seized a French freighter, the Astor, believed to be carrying a shipment of weaponry bound for Angola. The Astor had initially been charged by the Libyan government with the delivery of arms, primarily ten T-55LD tanks of Polish origin from Tripoli's surplus stocks, to Uganda. The tanks, including assorted ammunition and spare parts, were to be offloaded at Mombasa, Kenya, and from thence transported overland. By October the Astor's crew had already rounded the Cape of Good Hope but received belated news of Uganda's defeat in the Uganda–Tanzania War, and new orders to reroute their cargo to an unknown Angolan port. The freighter abruptly changed course; upon its unexpected return to South African waters, however, it aroused suspicion and was impounded in Durban.

South Africa confiscated all ten T-55s under the pretext that she was effectively at war with Angola at the time, retaining two for evaluation purposes. The remaining eight were offered as aid to the Rhodesian Army, which assigned them to a newly designated "E" Squadron, Rhodesian Armoured Corps. It was intentionally leaked to the press that the tanks had been captured in Mozambique, and for several months the T-55s were driven around the country on transporters.

And they were going to be used in the coupt to topple any African party winning the election in 1980.

Other units were also briefed and prepaid . The Rh SAS were going to go into Mugabies place and slot him.

On the day of the “supposed” coupt the code word to go . Some say it it was “November” but was never given.

Or so some say .

The Germans painted their captured T-34s in Panzer colours because their anti-tank gunners tended to shoot first and ask questions later. They equipped entire tank companies with captured tanks but moaned constantly about the unreliability of the T-34, which tends to give the lie to the constant Russian refrain that the T-34 was totally reliable and easy to keep running.

As of last week, I have the Trumpeter Pz.Kpfm KV-2 754(r) as part of my stash. I just wonder whether you have any pics ?
Of the real thing or the kit Pete?