Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Recy mech /light calv crew man

Hi I want to join as either recy mech or light calv crewman I was just wondering what happens after you complete training for recy mech like what regiments do you join and that. Also if you have been in either role if you could just tell me if it was a good choice you know. Cheers
The basic training (Class 3) for a Recovery Mechanic is awesome. before you do anything you will be loaded onto a driving course and will pass you HGV Class 2 and obtain a track licence, then you can start the course. You will be taught ground mechanics (diferent types of earth, mud, sand etc) rope splicing, radio procedure, mines and booby traps and the theory of recovery. On the Recovery heath you will be taught on every Recovery vehicle in service, learn how to recover vehicles in near impossible situations, you will be up to your chest in mud and water, but strangely you will have a smile on your face as you learn that it requires organised teamwork to carry out such tasks, and you will earn how to drive your vehicle cross country

There are lots of posting opportunities as a Recovery Mechanic in REME, you will move every two/three years. It is normal for a new joiner to be posted to a large workshops to cut your teeth, these are now called Battalions. They are not that well liked, (because they are an 800+ strong unit, half of whom will be Vehicle Mechanics who think they are better than you and there is still an element of bullshit, unnecessary parades, getting shouted at, a prowling RSM etc.) However you will need the training in that environment, where the essential teamwork of a Recovery Crew are moulded, there will be about 20 Recy Mechs, you will learn the ethos of the trade and you will be prepared to for any job that will happen in the future, giving you the confidence to move on to your next posting which invariably will be as a Lance Corporal (your first promotion) in an L.A.D.

REME serve with every part of the Army, from Infantry units to fully Armoured Tank Regiments in an L.A.D (Light Aid Detatcment) They are much, much smaller that a Battalion, depending on your posting, ie type of unit, your Recovery section can be as little as one, just you, or ten, commanded by a Sergeant. You support the Regiment that you are with and you will make friends and become part of that Regiments fabric. Life is much better here as you have much more freedom and confidence to go about your duties as an individual.

Whilst at your second posting (or if you are very lucky, at the end of your tour with your first) you will attend Recovery Camp, This is a two week exercise doing nothing but recovery work, similar to your basic course, but much more involved and you will be exhausted, however a pass here will get you a pay rise and you will be a Class 2 tradesman as you return to your unit.

If you work hard at your first LAD the chances are that you will go to another LAD and not back to a Battallion. If your first LAD was with an infantry unit, your next one will probably be an Armoured or Royal Artillery LAD, the next one with a Signals unit and so on. It is likely that you will serve with another REME Battalion again, but this time you will have a couple of stripes up and you will be in more of a teaching role and you will of course be better treated (Rank has it's privileges.)

You can go all the way to WO1 as a Recovery Mechanic now, but no matter how long you are in trade, or what rank you are when you leave, you will learn many skills that will help you get a decent job in Civvie Street.

I served 14 years as a Recovery Mechanic, leaving as a Sergeant. It was a long time ago, but apart from the vehicles, the job, the friendships and the pride have not changed.

The basic training (Class 3) for a Recovery Mechanic is awesome. before you do anything you will be loaded onto a driving course and will pass you HGV Class 2 and obtain a track licence, then you can start the course. You will be taught ground mechanics (diferent types of earth, mud, sand etc) rope splicing, radio procedure, mines and booby traps and the theory of recovery. On the Recovery heath you will be taught on every Recovery vehicle in service, learn how to recover vehicles in near impossible situations, you will be up to your chest in mud and water, but strangely you will have a smile on your face as you learn that it requires organised teamwork to carry out such tasks, and you will earn how to drive your vehicle cross country

There are lots of posting opportunities as a Recovery Mechanic in REME, you will move every two/three years. It is normal for a new joiner to be posted to a large workshops to cut your teeth, these are now called Battalions. They are not that well liked, (because they are an 800+ strong unit, half of whom will be Vehicle Mechanics who think they are better than you and there is still an element of bullshit, unnecessary parades, getting shouted at, a prowling RSM etc.) However you will need the training in that environment, where the essential teamwork of a Recovery Crew are moulded, there will be about 20 Recy Mechs, you will learn the ethos of the trade and you will be prepared to for any job that will happen in the future, giving you the confidence to move on to your next posting which invariably will be as a Lance Corporal (your first promotion) in an L.A.D.

REME serve with every part of the Army, from Infantry units to fully Armoured Tank Regiments in an L.A.D (Light Aid Detatcment) They are much, much smaller that a Battalion, depending on your posting, ie type of unit, your Recovery section can be as little as one, just you, or ten, commanded by a Sergeant. You support the Regiment that you are with and you will make friends and become part of that Regiments fabric. Life is much better here as you have much more freedom and confidence to go about your duties as an individual.

Whilst at your second posting (or if you are very lucky, at the end of your tour with your first) you will attend Recovery Camp, This is a two week exercise doing nothing but recovery work, similar to your basic course, but much more involved and you will be exhausted, however a pass here will get you a pay rise and you will be a Class 2 tradesman as you return to your unit.

If you work hard at your first LAD the chances are that you will go to another LAD and not back to a Battallion. If your first LAD was with an infantry unit, your next one will probably be an Armoured or Royal Artillery LAD, the next one with a Signals unit and so on. It is likely that you will serve with another REME Battalion again, but this time you will have a couple of stripes up and you will be in more of a teaching role and you will of course be better treated (Rank has it's privileges.)

You can go all the way to WO1 as a Recovery Mechanic now, but no matter how long you are in trade, or what rank you are when you leave, you will learn many skills that will help you get a decent job in Civvie Street.

I served 14 years as a Recovery Mechanic, leaving as a Sergeant. It was a long time ago, but apart from the vehicles, the job, the friendships and the pride have not changed.
That brought back memories reading this excellent post.
Likewise I really enjoyed my driving training and basic recovery training at Borden, I even managed to top my course so I had first pick of the postings.
Had some right characters as instructors, SSgt Campbell who was mad as a box of frogs and SGT Bone who didn’t take prisoners but was sound as fcuk, SGT Andy Lees terrific guy who always looked out for you.
Still remember there names after 30 years.
Made some great m8s in the Recy Mech world during my 6 years in the Army.

That brought back memories reading this excellent post.
Likewise I really enjoyed my driving training and basic recovery training at Borden, I even managed to top my course so I had first pick of the postings.
Had some right characters as instructors, SSgt Campbell who was mad as a box of frogs and SGT Bone who didn’t take prisoners but was sound as fcuk, SGT Andy Lees terrific guy who always looked out for you.
Still remember there names after 30 years.
Made some great m8s in the Recy Mech world during my 6 years in the Army.
Excellent. Cheers.

Billy BONE was my Lance Jack at 4 Armd Wksps, my first posting. He was hard as nails.

I have nothing but huge respect for REME recovery mechanics and their work. Always needed at the worst possible times. They don’t always have the chance to stand around and smoke a rollie and chat about the job, but have to think fast and crack on. In Canada, that meant dragging a Warrior that had collapsed a trench with a man buried inside. Sadly, that guy didn’t make it, but the speed and skill the reccy mechs worked was remarkable, and will always remain with me.
Top people who get to drive the second coolest vehicle in the army.
And, as @Arte_et_Marte says above, you will be shown how to do lots of interesting things which may be useful in later life.
Best of luck with whatever career choices you make.

I have nothing but huge respect for REME recovery mechanics and their work. Always needed at the worst possible times. They don’t always have the chance to stand around and smoke a rollie and chat about the job, but have to think fast and crack on. In Canada, that meant dragging a Warrior that had collapsed a trench with a man buried inside. Sadly, that guy didn’t make it, but the speed and skill the reccy mechs worked was remarkable, and will always remain with me.
Top people who get to drive the second coolest vehicle in the army.
And, as @Arte_et_Marte says above, you will be shown how to do lots of interesting things which may be useful in later life.
Best of luck with whatever career choices you make.
What’s the first coolest vehicle ?aha