"Recruits" - Irish Army Documentary

a quick google says that they found it was difficult to identify targets and hit them at >200m (with their 1.5x sight).

as I said we got a 4.5x sight

As did the Australians
Fair enough. Good answer to the qustion I asked. The Kiwi's seem happy with their new rifle though.

Wiki tells me SUSAT is 4x and I always thought I'd like a little more for competition shooting so 4.5 seems good. What is the Field of View like?

I was in long enough to transition from the FN to the Steyr and it was a pleasure as it is considerably lighter and it's piss easy to fire and the sight made target acquisition easy and instinctive and it appeared to be set up for 300m from the off,so that there were no elevation marks on the reticle (I stand to be corrected...it's a long time ago) but it's a real point and shoot rifle. You noticed "Steyr wobble" immediately as people sought the target thru the sight but it was real easy to transition to. There were some issues about durability of some of the plastic parts and people had to be educated about care of the sight as it's integration into the reciever meant that it would require the intervention of an armourer if you did any kind of damage. It also gave the drill lovers something to play with, as we went from FN arms drill to a short weapon drill, with no banging the weapon off the ground, so beloved of square-bashers.

SignalFire

Clanker
a quick google says that they found it was difficult to identify targets and hit them at >200m (with their 1.5x sight).

as I said we got a 4.5x sight

As did the Australians

When are the rest of the Defence force getting A3s? Currently only the Ranger Wing uses it