Recruits in the RLC

Discussion in 'RLC' started by General Melchett, May 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

What are your thoughts on the standard coming through. Not just physical robustness and fitness, but also schooling and mental attitude.

Having had some limited contact with Phase 2 soldiers their level of education seems to be poor at times. I deal with a trade group that requires a reasonable level of education. Those below standard should be weeded out at the selection process, so more time can be spent on trade as opposed to english and maths.

2. I don't think the schooling and education part is just RLC centric. The army is competeing with the cicil jobs market, an education system which pushes school leavers into higher education with little thought about what will happen at the end of it. You are receiving recruits whos reasons for joining are not that differant to those recruits of the past 30 years, but what you are not getting are the intellegent school leavers that the army used to get and rely on to fill its Junior Leaders regiments and apprentice colleges. They now goto college and university now. The lack of 'nous' displayed amongst new recruits is proberbly the old eyes viewing the new comers with an over critical eye just as has always happened. The problem now is that many are poorly schooled (not their fault, the system sucks) and the army either needs to weed out thosed who really cannot read or write, or introduce compulsary education to thoses who need it at a far lower level than before.

3. General Melchett

I didn't want to fall into the old cliche "It wasn't like that in my day" or appear to be having a pop at people who are not academic.

Lack of "nous" is down to everything being new, as would be the case with any job, so I'll not worry about that. The actual schooling level seems to be poor with some soldiers having difficulty reading and have bad hand writing combined. Not to mention the maths skills. All things which were definately better "in my day".

4. It is easy to level the old "They are not as good as they were in my time" adage. The problem is ho0w do you measure if it is true or not?

I do believe we have gone a bit too soft on teaching to test and multiple chances to pass courses. The result of this is less inclination for people to put effort in and the belief that they are owed something. This is also true from what I can see of modern training and results in the poor standard of recruit we sometimes see.

I do not think this is the majority though, it is simply that the teach to test mentality and the idea that recruit training/MPC/etc is a walkover that makes it seem as if they are worse than they are. In truth I doubt there is much difference, they may be a little less fit than the recruits of yester-year but I doubt they are beyond redemption.

I do not wish to seem racist (that is the last thing I am trust me), but I am concerned about the massive amount of commonwealth soldiers we have taken in. Even if this is only considered from a "how will we replace them when they leave point of view" or "how will we deploy them if they have passport difficulties". this was not an RLC decision to recruit such numbers, but it is something that will cause us problems. I am sure that they will be credit to us, I just wonder at the adverse effects of it all.

5. GM,
    The Three R's is a result of the standard of education they receive, it is something the military will help with though in time, as it encourages (without trying - when it tries it fails (PDR anyone); what a paradox) you to develop yourself, to pass courses, to act like a SNCO eventually; even to go for commision. The right ones will seize these opportunities, just like we did. As a recruit they are a blank piece of paper, time will sort them out!

6. General Melchett

In respect to your last comment the Rugby team would suffer, but seriously from the last manning roadshow the shortfall of RLC soldiers was indeed made up from overseas applicants. This is not a bad thing, but it does highlight either a lack of effort to recruit from home and the easy option is to go abroad, or that society in this country just does not want to join the Armed Forces.

Are there any results from surveys available to show trends for joining and geographical location?

7. I bet there are somewhere, but I know someone in the training world, who assured me we have taken in hundreds.

8. not seen the standard of bloke (sorry, or girly) coming through recently, but my basic course wasn't exactly full of Magnus Magnussons. so that must lead us to the quality of continuation training after qualifying.

must admit that i got quite a bit of continuation training in the rugby club in sunny K though!!!

Problem solved :D :D :D