Recruitment

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Vigilante, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure its the right place but....
    My nephew is going to pirbright in 6 weeks for basic and is planning to join RLC. His mum has told me he has ADHD but was not on medication because she is a bit of a hippy and likes to use herbal cures and that.

Now my nephew is a bit of a loon and cannot concentrate on things much but when he wants to do something, he wont stop thinking about it until he does it, then get bored with it and doesnt want to do it anymore.

I have never been in the Military but do work in the security field and am a bit worried about him joining because i think he would end up putting other people in danger due his lack of concentration. The recruitment office asked him if he had ADHD but he said no because he wants in so will the instructors pick up on it? If so what will happen to him? Is there any job in the Army that he can do because he really wants in?

:?

2. I would recommend that he comes clean as he will get in trouble and be discharged as Failure to declare a medical problem. Instructors have enough to disruption to deal with in the first couple of weeks.

3. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Vigilante, I'm with RMA1 on this. Better he declares a med condition early rather than gets gripped by his DS unnecessarily and causes them extra work.

utg

4. He should inform them ASAP.

There are no jobs he can really do as all require concentration and attention to detail. Not to mention working with live ammo.

5. He could try and be a clerk - after all, what concentration do you need to fukk paperwork up?

6. Have you seen the amount of concentration that goes into drinking coffee and saying "JPA doesnt recognise that"

7. This is a strange one, to be diagnosed with ADHD at some point he would have had to go to his Gp etc when it comes to the RG8 medical stage the GP would have put it down on the form. ADSC would have looked at it and made a decision (they take very little risk medically these days).

He must have done alright at ADSC to pass.

If he has never been to a GP and been diagnosed has he got ADHD ? or is he like every other teenager that just bimbles about with their thumb up their arse.

Once he starts training they will do a full medical and by this time the ATR will have his med docs off his GP if he has ADHD and its severe enough he could possibly be discharged as a defect on enlistment or their is nothing wrong with him then training will remove said thumb and turn him into a useful member of society.

If its not on his GP notes and he has ADHD it will become very apparent very quickly and if its a problem he will be discharged.

8. Thanks for all the replies!

I told him straight off to tell them so's not to waste everyones time or worse, get in, c*ck up and get someone hurt in the wilds somewhere. He just wants in and wont say anything.

He has it in his GP notes so im hoping it will be picked up on, he was offered ritilin (sp!) But his mum took other steps instead and done some homopathy treatment.

If he is cleared and good to go i will be chuffed for him. I know i wouldnt want to be sleeping when he is on stag. I know GP's are quick to label someone as ADHD so im hoping it is just him being a bit of a knob and nothing medical. As long as someone spots it.

I just wasnt sure wether to mention it to someone so they were alerted to it or not.

9. Vigilante, As a former troop commander at Pirbright I can say with absolute certainty that if your nephew behaves in the manner you suggest he might, then life will tough for him and may, as others have said, lead to him being discharged. This is a messy business for all concerned.

I have no doubt that his behaviour will seriously annoy his platoon staff and that isn't much fun either! Keeping you head down and gradually winning the respect of the staff is the best way of getting through a tough 12 weeks.

10. You can't have been a Tp Comd there in the last 10 years then :)

11. LOL!!!!

12. If his GP diagnosed him it will go to ATR Pirbrights med centre and if not will definately catch up with him at Deepcut, so i suggest him comes clean. If he has not been officially diagnosed then let him crack on and have a shot, after all he did pass his selection med and also has a more thorough one upon arrival at pirbright anyway. But concentration is paramount, for night nav, live firing and orders etc so bit of a risk really, not to mention ops.

13. As said previously if he has symptoms whilst in training the staff will pick it up and he will find it hard to get through the now 14 weeks (I believe it went up from 12 after I left Recruiting last year).

I had a young lad as an applicant who had been diagnosed with ADHD when he was twelve and was put on medication. He came in for an initial chat when I first went into recruiting and had been off his medication for nearly a year. When his RG8 Health Questionairre came back he was deferred for 18 months dependant on 2 years clear from medication or treatment. In that time he went to cadets and then when he was eligable went through selection and what a transformation with a goal in sight.

Passed selection at Lichfield with glowing colours (couldnt shut him up at times) and got top student in training.

Leopards can change thier spots but your lad needs to be in the right frame of mind.

14. I will have a chat with him and get him to let people know.

One thing he can do is talk and he is another who doesnt shut up. Its not all bad though, he can recite entire Monty Python sketches but it does get on your tits a bit.

Thanks again for all the replies, very much appreciated.

15. if he gets bored quickly, just remind him once he's in and passed evrything, he's in for at least 3 1/2 yrs. things can get very repetitive the military. especially i've someone things your a knob, but they dont dont know he has a problem.