Recruitment Problems

I was talking to a recruiting team from Customs and Border Patrol on Saturday. I mentioned I had been seeing a lot of advertising from them recently and asked if they were having recruitment problems. Answer: Yes.

Apparently the recruitment for the military and law enforcement has slipped dramatically recently.

Now here is the interesting part: My lad does junior jury duty in the local court house to decide on the fate of teen's who have been caught speeding, underage drinking and other soft crimes - drug and sex crimes are dealt with by the judge. No, my lad is not a goody two shoes, squealer, he got nabbed speeding and as part of his punishment he has to do jury duty for a certain number of sessions. They only get to award community service hours (minimum 10, maximum 70) not pokey time.

Just to add: If the teen accepts the teen jury punishment they have no police/court record for their crime.

Anyway, he comes home and tell's me that they gave a speeder 10 hours because she is joining the Navy and needs to get away quickly to get her $10,000 signing on bonus. WHAT!!!??? I asked him to explain. He told me that the young lady had laid her cards on the table with the jury and told them that she needs to have the speeding violation nullified and also report by a certain date in order to qualify for the $10,000 signing on bonus being offered by the US Govt to new recruits at the moment.

I have heard about certain trades receiving a retention bonus if they sign on again at every 4 year point. Apparently for linguists in certain languages that can be a $100,000.00 extension of service payment.

I was talking to a recruiting team from Customs and Border Patrol on Saturday. I mentioned I had been seeing a lot of advertising from them recently and asked if they were having recruitment problems. Answer: Yes.

Apparently the recruitment for the military and law enforcement has slipped dramatically recently.

Now here is the interesting part: My lad does junior jury duty in the local court house to decide on the fate of teen's who have been caught speeding, underage drinking and other soft crimes - drug and sex crimes are dealt with by the judge. No, my lad is not a goody two shoes, squealer, he got nabbed speeding and as part of his punishment he has to do jury duty for a certain number of sessions. They only get to award community service hours (minimum 10, maximum 70) not pokey time.

Just to add: If the teen accepts the teen jury punishment they have no police/court record for their crime.

Anyway, he comes home and tell's me that they gave a speeder 10 hours because she is joining the Navy and needs to get away quickly to get her $10,000 signing on bonus. WHAT!!!??? I asked him to explain. He told me that the young lady had laid her cards on the table with the jury and told them that she needs to have the speeding violation nullified and also report by a certain date in order to qualify for the $10,000 signing on bonus being offered by the US Govt to new recruits at the moment.

I have heard about certain trades receiving a retention bonus if they sign on again at every 4 year point. Apparently for linguists in certain languages that can be a $100,000.00 extension of service payment.

WOW - I'm making a trip to Buffalo NY tomorrow with fake ID and birth Certificate, "No, honest Sir my name is Benjamin Button and I am only 18."

Not at all uncommon for signing bonuses to be offered to Non-Prior service personnel in certain critical shortage MOSes. You'd probably find out more if you were interested by going to the Navy website. $10,000 sounds pretty low, but maybe it isn't a skill set the Navy is particularly short of at the moment. The Army and the Marines do the same thing to attract new recruits. In my day, during the draft era, Uncle Sam came and got you if he needed you and you were lucky to get three hots and a cot and $268 USD a month. No bonus money up front (even for those who came into the Army willingly) although you might be eligible for a re-up bonus of $1500- if you decided to stay in after your initial 2 or 3 years of active duty and it was for a particular skill such as infantry or armor, or a particular duty station. (Korea, Germany, etc.) I didn't qualify for a single bonus payment throughout the entire 30 years of my Army service, but no use whining about that. I had more fun than any civvy lording it over the natives at my overseas postings and living like a SGT Bilko with my personal band of brothers. There are still gatherings at appropriate moments, such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day (Nee Armistice Day) where glasses are raised and toasts are drunk to absent friends. (A certain lieutenant of engineers that I loved like a brother and a warrant officer of rare courage I served with at a sticky post are the added names that will be toasted this Veteran's Day. R.I.P.) :thumleft: :thumleft:

Young Man with Huey Helicopter-2 Incognito.jpg

Not at all uncommon for signing bonuses to be offered to Non-Prior service personnel in certain critical shortage MOSes. You'd probably find out more if you were interested by going to the Navy website. $10,000 sounds pretty low, but maybe it isn't a skill set the Navy is particularly short of at the moment. The Army and the Marines do the same thing to attract new recruits. In my day, during the draft era, Uncle Sam came and got you if he needed you and you were lucky to get three hots and a cot and $268 USD a month. No bonus money up front (even for those who came into the Army willingly) although you might be eligible for a re-up bonus of $1500- if you decided to stay in after your initial 2 or 3 years of active duty and it was for a particular skill such as infantry or armor, or a particular duty station. (Korea, Germany, etc.) I didn't qualify for a single bonus payment throughout the entire 30 years of my Army service, but no use whining about that. I had more fun than any civvy lording it over the natives at my overseas postings and living like a SGT Bilko with my personal band of brothers. There are still gatherings at appropriate moments, such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day (Nee Armistice Day) where glasses are raised and toasts are drunk to absent friends. (A certain lieutenant of engineers that I loved like a brother and a warrant officer of rare courage I served with at a sticky post are the added names that will be toasted this Veteran's Day. R.I.P.) :thumleft: :thumleft:

View attachment 416289
Top you are out of uniform. You are missing the War Bonnet and lance.

Is the 10 grand taxed? And do they have to sign on for a certain period?

Its sounds slightly similar to the TA bonus of 10k (pounds) for regulars who transfer/join.
Its sounded very good until someone pointed out it will be taxed and spread over 4 years (Still a nice little earner if you were going to join the TA anyway, but not quite the 10k in your hand that it alluded to.

Edited to add. The yank wages dont look that good either.

Its sounds slightly similar to the TA bonus of 10k (pounds) for regulars who transfer/join.
Its sounded very good until someone pointed out it will be taxed and spread over 4 years (Still a nice little earner if you were going to join the TA anyway, but not quite the 10k in your hand that it alluded to.

All bonus money is subject to being taxed, unless you are in a tax free zone.

Try these charts.

Taxed AFAIK. Still not bad though when you consider that most give you nothing to go and work for them. $10k seems to be pretty piss poor too looking through all of them, the better qualified you are and the more dangerous job you do the more money you will receive. Added to,which they will sort out up to $65K in university costs.

A couple of years ago I was talking with some linguists and they were on $100K re-enlistment bonus every 4 years. However, when you look at the piss poor salary they receive the $100K spread over 4 years more or less brings them up to the industry equivalent salary.

philc

LE
Pah, I took the Queens shilling and that did for me.

My ex USMC mates have told me that when it comes around to re-enlistment time the internal recruiters are tasked with trying to save Uncle Sam $. In the USMC it Is apparently not uncommon to encourage cooks and bottle washers to attend para, dive and sniper courses in return for them not taking the cash.

Taxed AFAIK. Still not bad though when you consider that most give you nothing to go and work for them. $10k seems to be pretty piss poor too looking through all of them, the better qualified you are and the more dangerous job you do the more money you will receive. Added to,which they will sort out up to $65K in university costs.

A couple of years ago I was talking with some linguists and they were on $100K re-enlistment bonus every 4 years. However, when you look at the piss poor salary they receive the $100K spread over 4 years more or less brings them up to the industry equivalent salary.
The money ain't bad when you consider all the other perks one gets with it.

1568210535974.png

My Mate hit his EAS date and left active duty service as a Silo Monkey. He went and got an AGR slot with the 153rd AW. He lost his BAH and it is hurting their bottom line.

I told him it was going to hurt moving to the quasi civ world, and that he should have just stuck it out for another 8 years.

View attachment 416289
C rat can showing your age. ;-)

C rat can showing your age. ;-)
Well, I liked beans and mutha fucks. Chopped egg & ham was one of the other menu entrees that I looked for eagerly. A drill of my acquaintance said it all tasted to him like sour owl shit, but he was hard to please. We were kept like a pack of hounds at home; fed not quite just enough to keep us keen for the hunt. ;)

Well, I liked beans and mutha fucks. Chopped egg & ham was one of the other menu entrees that I looked for eagerly. A drill of my acquaintance said it all tasted to him like sour owl shit, but he was hard to please. We were kept like a pack of hounds at home; fed not quite just enough to keep us keen for the hunt. ;)
I’ve always liked that bit of rain gear, the rubberized non-breathable type, had one in the 80’s and wore it out, haven’t been able to find another in decent shape.

My ex USMC mates have told me that when it comes around to re-enlistment time the internal recruiters are tasked with trying to save Uncle Sam $. In the USMC it Is apparently not uncommon to encourage cooks and bottle washers to attend para, dive and sniper courses in return for them not taking the cash.
So, let me get this straight-- if a marine in food service, say, was coming up on his enlistment, the in service reenlistment NCO dangles a carrot of a school seat into such wonderful courses such as Para, dive, BUD/S or sniper to encourage him to select one of those to reenlist into instead of a wad of dead presidents? Further proof that Marines are not like us is not needed.

Meal Team 6 Operator.jpg

I’ve always liked that bit of rain gear, the rubberized non-breathable type, had one in the 80’s and wore it out, haven’t been able to find another in decent shape.
It was a complete ensemble of top and bottom. It kept the rain off, but it didn't breathe a lick, and you were cold and clammy all day.

Latest Threads