Recruitment problems-likelyhood of OTC call up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bebo, Jul 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

After reading that leaving rates are at a ten year high for the UK armed forces I got discussing the possible solutions to this problem with a friend. One of the more out there solutions suggested( after a few beers on may I add) my friend suggested they perhaps they may conscript OTC/URNU/UAS O/Cdts.

I know this is far from likely to happen anytime in the near future but what is your opinion on the circumstances that may warrant such a decision i.e. first logical choice in a manning shortage or your just as well recruiting civvies....Any constructive argument welcomed.

CHeers,

Bebo.

2. The day the OPFOR are having a recce on Buck Palace to figure out where the guards are going to go. Then we may let the OTC in.

Until then, remember you are only students and the OTC is not a recruiting tool.

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Wouldnt happen, unless country itself is under threat. no government could afford the political fallout of calling up students. I heard tell once that one uni OTC (maybe manchester) had a battle honour from WW1, but that was only from one source. I dont think during the dark days of WW2 there was any talk of OTC's being called up, other than a Home Guard type scenario.

4. I seem to remember through a haze of Port and Cigars in Beeston that the OTC were "Band C" TA, which effectively meant that the closest you would get to "action" would be to pop down to stag-on at key civilian infrastructure in a Dad's Army type role.

5. Absolutely zero chance of this occuring. The university units are fundamentally the Cadets with more money and booze. Frankly having seen the selection procedure first hand, and the calibre of the recruits let in, in many cases we'd be better off conscripting them for the other side :)

6. Bah harrumph!

Some OTC members have gone on to make outstanding ...... winos.

Taught me a thing or two about life, I can tell you!!!!

7. A far better idea would be to disband the OTCs, form OTC platoons within local TA units thus saving £50 million plus per year and more effectively establishing links between universities and the Army.

90% of OTC never have anything to do with the Army ever again!

8. Cambridge - South Africa 1901 - 2.

Can't see it happening again and certainly not the solution unless they all go down the recruiting offce and sign up to do some proper training!

Bebo - to seriously think this you must worry more about CDTs next visit. :wink:

9. Contrary to some posters, I think OTCs are generally a Good Thing but, if its operational experience you want, the chance is absolutely zero.

10. Ouch! :twisted:

11. Why would you want to mobilise the OTC's when the TA and Regular Reserve haven't yet been compulsorily mobilised en masse?

12. For the avoidance of doubt, the OTCs have no operational role. They do not feature in the Army's ORBAT.

No role. None whatsoever. Nix. Nada. Niente.

Shame really as some of the birds are quite fit. I could cope with a nice blonde bit of fluff as my gunner. As it was I got a hairy LCpl from Lancashire.

Disappointed!

13. Harsh, but fair. I remember doing enemy for a UOTC and it was just comical. The first night we were doing roving patrols as they tabbed into position. We did a jump out of the woods on auto shouting "dakka dakka muhammed jihad" type stuff and what stunning responce did we receive? Anti-ambush drills? an agressive assault? pairs fire manouvre out of the area?

Nope. We got "We're not taking part in this bit of the exercise because tom isn't feeling well".

Not to mention the second day when we started bimbling round their harbour area while they sat and watched us.

Or the platoon attack where they had a firefight between two of their own sections because they couldn't tell themselves and the enemy apart. Clue: we were in dessies, you were in greens.

I could go on, but I think that's enough for now.

14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

OK, let me repeat what I said on a previous thread about this. There is no chance - none, nada, zilch - chance of any of the University Cadet organisations ever being called up.

They were not called up in 1916, or in 1940, when times were a tad harder than they are now. We don't even 'call up' the TA (but we are 'calling up' some of the RAuxAF) and there are many thousands of fully-trained and available TA soldiery who have not been anywhere yet.

Trust me on this - it's never going to happen, so you can return to the bar in peace.

15. Yet another Fish Called Wanda Fan! :D

Jamie Lee Curtis was well fit in those days...