Recruitment from Cadets

Discussion in 'ACF' started by walting_matilda, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Question:

Previously, the MOD have always:

"Encourage those cadet who have an interest in the Services to join the Regular or Reserve Forces" or "Advised and prepared those considering a career in the Services or the Reserve Forces"

To improve pound for pound on their return, should the MOD be more "robust" in their recruitment approach in the cadet forces.

Discuss...

2. Yeah why not and then they can make them redundant.

3. Having read the "Youth Engagement Review: Final Report December 2011", it seems to be a reality...

4. Some will join up and others won't, that's how it's always been and won't change anytime soon.

But it's not completely like the old days. A while back a junior would apply and then hear back and get processed fairly quickly. Sent off to Army Youth Selection Centre, assesed and given job offers and a guaranteed place certificate providing they still met medical standards and kept out of trouble. Older youth could join up and be whisked away in just weeks or even days.

Nowadays, they apply and don't hear for ages and have to chase it up. They finally get to do a barb test and have a chat and then still wait ages to hear anything. Paperwork, of all forms take ages to go through the system, and delays are very common. It's as if the Army don't want any juniors at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few lose interest waiting.

5. Joseph Kony already doing this with the LRA.

6. It provides the UOTC candidates with another cadet group they can feel superior to. It should be encouraged.

7. What are their retention figures though?

8. Very true, I think the flash to bang from me walking into the Recruiting Office to arriving at Depot via Sutton Coalfield was about three and a half weeks, and that included getting my parents to sign the papers.

9. They're fannying about, for reasons impenetrable.

Cadet Forces are statistically the most productive source of recruits for the Services.

So much so that Crab Cadet units are funded and managed by their Recruitment arm, and no bones are made about it.

Army still seems to live in fear of its reputation from the days of the Militia, combined with '70s peacenik-iness and fear of the Provos (I now spit, metaphorically, at the sense of shame associated with being told repeatedly that we should fear that shower of vermin).

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Whenever people say this I always wonder if this is associative rather than causative, i.e. the Cadet Forces attract people who are strongly inclined from an early age to join the Armed Forces anyway. Being in the Cadets just something to do that is military related whilst marking time before they can join up.

I'm not knocking it per se, and for it's worth I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of being overt about recruitment (puts everything out in the open for one thing).