Recruitment Age Raised

With the apparent recruitment crisis going on a bunch doing 4 years might stave off some regiments being undermanned for a bit.
Will it ****.

Not really.
One was on a consolidated alpha course,went home on day three(Monday) and handed his kit in.
Another completed alpha and bravo then left after less then a year.
Only one ,ex regular,is still in.
And me. I was attested a month before my 51st. Did my consolidated Alpha and my Bravo at 51, and am still going strong at almost 54. Currently on my seventh two-week exercise or course since April, with more to come in January and March. Not all of us older joiners are a waste of time.

Can but hope, would be curious as to how many pass the medical though. Just been through it and the amount of deferrals for benign **** was mind blowing.
Its just another "scheme" to show the bellends at the top are trying to improve recruiting rather than they actually do anything useful.

Can I ask what cap badge ?
RA. 255 TACP Bty.

I can give you the spiel about the Battery if you like. It’s very good.

As an indicator, my last course was a 17 day PNCO Cadre run by the HAC. All infantry and Patrols based. Bloody hard work and I was the oldest by a loooooong way. But if the drive is there it’s doable.

I’ve been in touch with older guys on here about joining, but what puts some off is having to stop at 55, or apply for annual extensions to 60.

Last edited:
When I joined in 95 there was a right old fúcker in the platoon. 26 I think he was the old git.

36, yeah good luck with that.

RA. 255 TACP Bty.

I can give you the spiel about the Battery if you like. It’s very good.

As an indicator, my last course was a 17 day PNCO Cadre run by the HAC. All infantry and Patrols based. Bloody hard work and I was the oldest by a loooooong way. But if the drive is there it’s doable.

I’ve been in touch with older guys on here about joining, but what puts some off is having to stop at 55, or apply for annual extensions to 60.
I was just curious.I should have added,what possessed you to join at that age? I joined at 19 and finally knocked it on the head at 50,after nearly thirty years,on and off,regular and TA.

I was just curious.I should have added,what possessed you to join at that age? I joined at 19 and finally knocked it on the head at 50,after nearly thirty years,on and off,regular and TA.
I’d wanted to do it for years but was unable to for personal reasons. By the time my circumstances had changed, I was over the 43yrs age limit. Then, three weeks before my 50th, I saw the limit had raised to 50, so I went for it.

JNM

Old-Salt
Its just another "scheme" to show the bellends at the top are trying to improve recruiting rather than they actually do anything useful.
Be raised to 65 in a few years then. If you can work till you’re 70 you should be able to shoot nearly as long ;)

Be raised to 65 in a few years then.
You say that in jest but I can guarantee in the next few years the military will "allow" more people to serve past their 24 year point.

When I joined in 95 there was a right old fúcker in the platoon. 26 I think he was the old git.
Same here. We had one bloke at the age of 26 in 1995 who joined as a ammo tech failed the psychometric went REME and years later went back to the AT world.
We called him grandad in training.

Can see it tbf. Can’t you serve longer as an officer anyway?
Yep and there is SSCP plus Veng to the 30 year point. I'm sure They were trailing AGC serving until they were 55.
Still can't get the numbers they need though.

JNM

Old-Salt
Yep and there is SSCP plus Veng to the 30 year point. I'm sure They were trailing AGC serving until they were 55.
Still can't get the numbers they need though.
Effing sad really. Don’t see why some people don’t try joining, especially in trades where you can do your time and gain worthwhile pieces of paper. Seem happier sitting in jobseekers.

Saying that if you’re happy there you probably don’t have the right mindset to stick it through basic.

According to this months Soldier mag

" AGAI 40 (recruiting policy) will be updated in 2019.
In the mean time, and in accordance with that instruction there is an ability to waive the enlistment age for both regular and reserve soldiers."
Is this Gen ??

So Glasgow can give an age waiver for the Regulars ??
Any idea what's the criteria is ?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I did very well when I was in, but I wonder how I'd manage now.

I've learned a lot more, matured a lot more, fitness would be there, but the question is, do I have the tolerance anymore for it? Probably not.

I can't imagine many people 30+ having the tolerance for it, because if you've lived a life, you'll know inane, pointless bullshit when you see it and will struggle to accept it I think.

I could do what I was told, rank is rank, but is the whole organisation I'd struggle to cope with a think.

ugly

LE
Same here. We had one bloke at the age of 26 in 1995 who joined as a ammo tech failed the psychometric went REME and years later went back to the AT world.
We called him grandad in training.
A 26 year old redundant steel worker joined our Bn in 1984. He struggled to settle and only did his 3 plus a couple of 1 year extensions to see a tour out.
He was daft as a brush. I assume that nowadays the recruits get less impact injuries during training otherwise the back squad Pln will be Bn sized and all over 30!
We were spoiled in 80/81, 3 million unemployed and only Paddy to keep us away from Beer and duty free fags.

I did very well when I was in, but I wonder how I'd manage now.

I've learned a lot more, matured a lot more, fitness would be there, but the question is, do I have the tolerance anymore for it? Probably not.

I can't imagine many people 30+ having the tolerance for it, because if you've lived a life, you'll know inane, pointless bullshit when you see it and will struggle to accept it I think.

I could do what I was told, rank is rank, but is the whole organisation I'd struggle to cope with a think.
I (re)joined at 34, in a (reserve) combat arms trade. My Phase 1(B) troop was full people like myself, the average age was about 25. I found a lot less inane bullshit the second time round, for which I was grateful, and we were spared a lot of the dicking around that recruits are commonly put through - it clearly still goes on, because we could see how the DS treated the other troop (average age 19) and the regular recruits in the opposite building.