Recruitment Age Raised

Hoping that this doesn’t turn into yet another Capita bashing thread ( I really am that naive :) )

The army is raising the recruiting age for regular army to 36.0 on date of enlistment imminently.

I know some recent posters on here have missed the 33.0 age by a couple of months and will welcome the news.

Conversely some of the more vocal posters will trip over themselves to slam the decision.

I offer no opinion either way, I simply seek to inform!

Hoping that this doesn’t turn into yet another Capita bashing thread ( I really am that naive :) )

The army is raising the recruiting age for regular army to 36.0 on date of enlistment imminently.

I know some recent posters on here have missed the 33.0 age by a couple of months and will welcome the news.

Conversely some of the more vocal posters will trip over themselves to slam the decision.

I know of at least three recruits who joined the reserves aged at least fifty.

i mean if your 36 and still as fit as a 20 year old, good on you, but i just think your time is very limited, because you'll probably only do the 4 yrs but **** it if your fit enough and dont want to do anything else, cant see why not.

I'd love to join at 36, and have a twentysomething full screw beasting me around a square or asking me why I haven't cleaned my mess tins etc :eek:

What possesses people at that age to suddenly want to join up? :lol:

The end of NI,Iraq,Afghanistan etc might have something to do with it.
Joking aside :lol: wasn't recruitment a lot higher during the periods when Telic/Herrick was going?

Are we talking upper age limit or lower age limit? You can never be sure with Capita...

They raised it as the recruitment process takes about 3 years ;)

Not amongst the old and not so bold.
In my experience anyway.
Fair point, you are correct I think. Was mostly young keen and green thrusters eager to get on tour.

Joking aside :lol: wasn't recruitment a lot higher during the periods when Telic/Herrick was going?
I don't think it did, I cant find the link but I'm pretty sure that for a couple of years it did go up (slightly) but fell in the majority of other years.

There are plenty of trades where a more mature recruit can go on to do very well, particularly if they can bring relevant experience with them. Of course, to make that a proper success the Army would need the mechanism to recognise that experience so I suspect it's a pretty moot point.

I'd be genuinely interested to see the recruitment demographics. When I joined in '94 there was a 25yr old in my intake who was known, with no hint of irony, as Grandad. The average age was probably around 19/20.

Of course, this also means raising the upper age limit if a 36yr old recruit is to have a full career. 58yr old ORs anyone?

I don't think it did, I cant find the link but I'm pretty sure that for a couple of years it did go up (slightly) but fell in the majority of other years.
Oh it’s ok mukka, I believe you. No need to go link searching.

According to this months Soldier mag

" AGAI 40 (recruiting policy) will be updated in 2019.
In the mean time, and in accordance with that instruction there is an ability to waive the enlistment age for both regular and reserve soldiers."

According to this months Soldier mag

" AGAI 40 (recruiting policy) will be updated in 2019.
In the mean time, and in accordance with that instruction there is an ability to waive the enlistment age for both regular and reserve soldiers."
Another masterstroke by those at the top, don't bother improving the army at all just keep coming up with ideas to keep widening the pool of potential recruits, that will solve the recruiting problem, just like they solved it in 2007 when they raised the maximum enlistment age from 26 to 33.

JNM

Old-Salt
i mean if your 36 and still as fit as a 20 year old, good on you, but i just think your time is very limited, because you'll probably only do the 4 yrs but **** it if your fit enough and dont want to do anything else, cant see why not.
With the apparent recruitment crisis going on a bunch doing 4 years might stave off some regiments being undermanned for a bit.